It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security Chief Turns U.S. Funds to Protect against Terrorism into Political Slush Fund

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Michael R. Bloomberg, Republican mayor of NYC called yesterday on the homeland security secretary, Tom Ridge, to stand up to Congress over what the mayor has repeatedly characterized as its efforts to shortchange New York City on anti-terrorism money.

"This is a time for Tom Ridge to stand up and say, 'Enough of this craziness,' " the mayor said.�He has got to be out there screaming. If we are going to protect this country, we've got to send the money where the threat is, and I don't think there's any question that the No. 1 targets for anybody overseas would be New York and, arguably, Washington."

The current distribution of Terrorism preparedness money now, on a per capita basis make Wyoming, the home state of V-P Cheney, is No.1 in receipt of protection funds. These funds will be used for the protection of sites like �Independence Rock�, a State historic site and potential target of terrorist.
The mayor also objected to proposed federal legislation that would allow a portion of the homeland security money to be spent on responding to natural disasters. "People that don't have a great threat should feel relieved, but they shouldn't be getting the money," he said. "People that do have the threat should be worried, but that's where the money should go."
"Somebody said to me, 'Well, we have to protect our crops because we need food supplies,' " the mayor said.�Yes, you need food supplies, but I don't think there are many Al Qaeda members walking around with maps of cornfields."

join