It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: Boost Training With Computer-Troop Mind Meld (Great picture!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The Pentagon is looking to better train its troops--by scanning their minds as they play video games

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9cabef0cddc2.jpg[/atsimg]

Adaptive, mind-reading computer systems have been a work-in-progress among military agencies for at least a decade. In 2000, far-out research agency Darpa launched “Augmented Cognition,” a program that sought to develop computers that used EEG scans to adjust how they displayed information — visually, orally, or otherwise — to avoid overtaxing one realm of a troop’s cognition. The Air Force also took up the idea, by trying to use EEGs to “assess the operator’s actual cognitive state” and “avoid cognitive bottlenecks before they occur.”

By using neural monitoring to supervise a trainee’s progress in their simulated world, the military could bolster the odds that snap decisions in the real-world will be based on more than just a gut feeling.

Source: www.wired.com...

Well, may as well be getting paid to play COD and the alike. I wonder how this will turn out. The problem I see is that no two brains are alike. With that being said, I think they would only be able to gather general info to the whole group particpating but I don't think they would want to entrust with a dangerous mission with something that may not be fool proof to that specific soldier wearing it.

[edit on 4/27/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Sorry, I put the wrong dam headlline in when I first posted. Been a rough day.

So, in case you missed it. The future of our fighting forces before your very eyes-in R&D stage(s) (Research & Developement)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
The problem I see is that no two brains are alike.

[edit on 4/27/2010 by anon72]

They may not be identical but certain parts perform the same task in all our brains, figuring out how those parts work alone or together could help!

new topics

join