It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-MI6 officer attacks America's torture policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Ex-MI6 officer attacks America's torture policy

www.guardian.co.uk

"It is surely not inspiring for radicalised people with the potential for violent action to see terrorists tried in ordinary criminal courts and sentenced to long prison terms."

"But it surely is inspiring to them to see terrorists treated as a special class of prisoners to be held by the military, imprisoned without trial and tortured. This is the kind of treatment that makes jihadists believe that they can indeed be the fighters for a cause that they aspire to be."

Abandoning "ordinary standards of criminal justice" in terrorism cases can be counterproductive, they say. "On top of this, there is the argument that democratic values … are the [west's] best advertisement. Departures from such values have damaged America's … reputation."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-4-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

The huge expense of Bush's "global war on terror", they said, had arguably caused more damage to the world economy than Osama bin Laden could have hoped for. "Nobody can forget the horror of 9/11, and it was inevitable that a government faced with such an outrage would respond in extreme fashion. Hindsight is easy, but if Bush had placed more emphasis on bringing those responsible to justice rather than on declaring an unwinnable 'war' against an undefined enemy, things might have turned out very differently."

Things would Definately have turned out very differently!

You wouldn't have expanded your list of enemies by country and wouldn't have bankrupted yourself in the process, as well as have many individuals get rich of the war but that's another topic I guess.

At the end of the day people need to step back, get the hate out of their heads and just think!

Imagine if this was World War I or WWII and we were trying to figure out who the enemy was and whether we should be increasing number of troops or not.

How much has things changed!
Things surely have changed!

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It good to see that. Though it could very well just be to make MI5/6 torture seem unlikely. I don't want to think how mny innocents - or near-innocents - have been tortured for nothing.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

No I have to say that WW2 was very simple. Kill the blasted nazis. Stop them taking over the world and making everyone the same colour, race , and religion. Stop them commiting genocide. Stop them EVER commiting genocide again. My personal opinion on that is that it hasnt worked quite fully enough, because there are still xenophobes in the world, and thats unacceptable, but another matter entirely. World war 2 however, was simple. Its the strategy that was complex.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Uk government has tortured me for 18 years now. So they are no different, but i know the usa nad uk work together to torture humans in there homes.

Hypocrites, and of course the americans go over this world doing it on purpose, to get the reaction. People want to live in peace but anglo americans obsess with destroying people.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
but i know the usa nad uk work together to torture humans in there homes.

Say what?

Originally posted by andy1033
want to live in peace but anglo americans obsess with destroying people.

They use the word "powers that be" for a reason
It's not americans, it's the elites, the powerful, the money hungry
Most americans would be completely against it all if they knew the truth
Even saying most is an understatement!

top topics

join