It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's biggest telescope clear to be built: Huge & very cool!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

The ELT could be as revolutionary in the field of astronomy as Galileo's telescope 400 years ago that determined that the Sun, and not the Earth, was the center of our universe, according to the ESO.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d01cab60f2ca.jpg[/atsimg]

Chile won the right Monday to host the largest-ever telescope, the Munich-based European Southern Observatory (ESO) said, calling the planned facility "the world's biggest eye in the sky". The other main contender site for the European Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), due to begin operation in 2018, was the Spanish isle of La Palma in the Canary Islands off western Africa.

The ELT is intended to dwarf the VLT. Work on the new telescope is to begin in December 2011 and cost 120 million dollars (90 million euros). "This is an important milestone that allows us to finalise the baseline design of this very ambitious project, which will vastly advance astronomical knowledge," ESO Director General Tim de Zeeuw said of the decision for Chile in a statement. The project calls for the construction of a huge telescope with a mirror 42 meters (138 feet) in diameter -- nearly as big as an Olympic-sized swimming pool. It will permit optical and near-infrared peering into the heavens.

Source: www.breitbart.com...

I do find this very exciting for the science field however, with Hubble up there, and the next generation of Space Telescopes getting ready to depart in a couple of years, It makes me ask: Why have them on earth anymore? (just kidding).

This is awesome. I wish I could go there and experience using it and everything associated with it. Keep up the good work scientist!

[edit on 4/26/2010 by anon72]

[edit on 4/27/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Hi there, cant believe this has slipped down with no attention!! S&F.

Here is another link with some more info on the Scope -

The observatory will be constructed on Cerro Armazones, a 3,000m-high mountain in Chile's Atacama Desert.

Astronomers say the next-generation observatory will be so powerful it will be able to image directly rocky planets beyond our Solar System.

It should also be able to provide major insights into the nature of black holes, galaxy formation, the mysterious "dark matter" that pervades the Universe, and the even more mysterious "dark energy" which appears to be pushing the cosmos apart at an accelerating rate.

news.bbc.co.uk...

With the LHC, this new Telescope, and hosts of awesome space missions taking place, we are in for some great treats over the next few years!

Can't wait.
g

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Here's an awesome video clip I found on You Tube as well -

WOW!!!! this is extremely cool. Can't wait to see the first images from this bad boy.

ALSO -

here is a link to a recent 'MUST WATCH" webcast about the choice of the Chilean site -

VERY RECENT WEBCAST from ESO

The sheer amount of testing and work that has gone into choosing this site is staggering. I never had a clue before watching this webcast about any of this stuff. AMAZING!!!

The building of this thing is colossal as well. The place will be like a small Town for several years until it's built!!!

Not to mention the harsh environment they are all living and working in!

Fantastic.

g

[edit on 27-4-2010 by grantbeed]

[edit on 27-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I remember when Mt Palomar was a momentous accomplishment with it's single-piece mirror at around 3m (I think) but that pales into insignificance compared to this ambitious project with its gigantic fully adjustable segmented mirror. Not so sure about the claim of better results than space-based scopes though, considering the atmospheric distortion problems that can't be adjusted out of the equation.

The designers are not seeing 2012 as any hurdle to get over either with this telescope planned to be operational by 2018 or thereabouts

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Great follow up folks and awesome video find. I actually was talking to my wife about putting a place like this on our vacation list.

Shes pondering.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Whoa that looks unbelievable great thread.

I'm sat here never saw something so big.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

that would be totally awesome!! Imagine visiting a huge scope like this, not to mention what you would see through it!

amazing technology.

g

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Heck, I say we suggest to them that they put a camera on the thing and let it run 24/7/365. That way someone could be watching it all the time.

And, if they did see or find something, would less likely be able to hide it etc. Truth and openess-that is the answer to get everyone involved.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I think this kind of idea will happen soon. Reality Space watching!

I would never be away from my screen!

top topics

join