It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New U.S. Hyperfast missile to hit anywhere in an hour!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/99fd471b7b4b.jpg[/atsimg]

HAUNTED by the memory of a lost opportunity to kill Osama Bin Laden before he attacked the World Trade Center in New York, US military planners have won President Barack Obama’s support for a new generation of high-speed weapons that are intended to strike anywhere on Earth within an hour.

Obama’s interest in Prompt Global Strike (PGS), a nonnuclear weapons program, has alarmed China and Russia and complicated nuclear arms reduction negotiations. White House officials confirmed last week that the president, who won the Nobel peace prize last year, is considering the deployment of a new class of hypersonic guided missiles that can reach their targets at speeds of Mach 5 — about 3,600mph. That is nearly seven times faster than the 550mph Tomahawk cruise missiles that arrived too late to kill Bin Laden at an Al-Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan in 1998.

The new weapon could be launched from air, land or sea on a long-range missile travelling at suborbital altitudes above 350,000ft. The missile releases a hypersonic pilotless plane that receives updates from satellites as it homes in on its target at up to five times the speed of sound, generating so much heat that it has to be shielded with special materials to avoid melting. Depending on the version the Pentagon chooses, the warhead would either split into dozens of lethal fragments in the final seconds of its flight or simply smash into its target, relying on devastating kinetic energy to destroy anything in its path. As a precision weapon its effects would be quite different from the mass destruction inflicted by nuclear warheads delivered by intercontinental ballistic missiles that can reach 13,400 mph.
Source: www.timesonline.co.uk...

I think this is why Obama is going along with nuke reductions. Nukes are Old school stuff by the sounds of it. If so, hats off to him. This thing sounds like the perfect weapon (almost) but I don't know how reliable it will be. Guess that depends on the targeting system etc.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think the reason that Russia and China are a little choked is because it's going to be hard for them to tell the difference between one of these new ones and a nuclear strike.

The US is asking a lot in my opinion to the other Nuclear powers that they can trust the US. The reason for having Nukes was MAD. This could get ugly and start another arms race or ramp up the one that never died.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I guess Russia would make something aswell similiar

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a missle is going to strike within an hour?!?!?! i'm heading to the bunker!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

I think they could tell the difference between a missile traveling at 3,600mph and one traveling at 13,400mph.

Although, there's no reason why it could not be fitted with a nuclear warhead.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Thats why Russia and China are pissed-Because they have no way in hell of shooting one of these puppies down,with todays tech.

Its a sort of cold war moment IMO,as this raises the stakes,pushing China and Russia to do what they always do(same as USA,UK etc):

That is,attempt to beat this by developing something just as badass,or worse.

"I am tougher than you"...The epitomy of humanity even today.

We are better than this IMO.
This type of technology should be used to take us to the stars instead of blowing one another into pieces,IMO.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I think you said it best. We need to kill each other less and work more towards getting off this planet and discovering more for the betterment of our race-as a whole.

I wish it could happen but these are surely crazy times. Besides, everybody wants to be the leader.

Glad you like the story.

Ckeck out my spin-off thread about the newly formed Space Command: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dimicgs
I guess Russia would make something aswell similiar

According to wikipedia, Russia tested the world's first scramjet "GLL Holod" in 1991 with top speed of mach 5.8. Since then Russia has apparently tested a mach 10-15 capable ICBM.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I would love to hear more about this. Not that I doubt you at all but everything I read indicated neither Rus or Chi (or India/Japan) have anything close to this type of weapon.

What interests me the most is they (US) need to live try. That is where Iran comes in. Maybe Pakistan but would bet Iran -if I had to.

[edit on 4/27/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Where is that image from. it looks like the failed and photoshopped iranian missile test a while back.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

It maybe. I got it off Google when I did search for Missiles. I think you are correct though as I do think this photo was used for a story on Iran missiles.

Good eye Sir

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Now hang on,something is going on here.

What you speak of ,The PGS(Prompt global strike)has been tested.
Does it have other names?

is this the same craft?

Some details are beginning to emerge regarding the failure of an advanced US military hypersonic glider test above the Pacific last week. However, a complete picture of what happened to the HTV-2 test platform may never appear, as communications with it were lost early in the flight.

news.oneindia.in...

Of the two launches we know happened the other day,one has been lost?

Was the whole launch a test to see if the X-37B could shoot down a mach 5+ missile?
Thereby countering what the usual supects are thought to be making by our intel people?

A top-secret rocket has been launched by the US military amid rumours its purpose is to perform experiments for a space weapons programme.
Officially the project will test a new space shuttle, the X-37B, that will look at safer and cheaper ways to return spacecraft to earth.

But the details of its payload, experiments and orbital operations have all been classified.

The real purpose of the mission could be to position satellites and other types of surveillance, according to military and security sources.

The launch is a military project being controlled by the US Air Force Space Command - not NASA.

A military use would explain why the Pentagon has invested up to hundreds of millions of dollars in the craft.

news.sky.com... ?lpos=World_News_First_Technology_Article_Teaser_Region__1&lid=ARTICLE_15615145_US_Air_Force_Launches_New_Spacecraft_Amid_Rumours_It_Has_A_Secret_Mili tary_Puropse

Very edgy stuff from Sky news for a change.

Could it be that the X-37B was successfully struck down by the secretive actions of the PGS?

Somethings going on up there,makes you wonder...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

I would love to hear more about this. Not that I doubt you at all but everything I read indicated neither Rus or Chi (or India/Japan) have anything close to this type of weapon.

What interests me the most is they (US) need to live try. That is where Iran comes in. Maybe Pakistan but would bet Iran -if I had to.[edit on 4/27/2010 by anon72]

I've heard about Russian scramjet tech for awhile now, but the wikipedia article sums it up pretty much. USSR was putting good chunks of money into scramjet development in the late 80s but the project was put on hold because of the Russian financial crisis in the 90s. Apparently they were able to build and test prototypes before American corporations like NASA aquired the scientists.

It's just like Russian lasers, I've seen depictions of them being tested from vehicles during Chinese-Russian skirmishes and even in the Afghan war.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Maybe we are going to be sending these over to all those new chinese ships.
S&F
Second line

[edit on 27-4-2010 by devildogUSMC]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
What is the big deal if it already exists missiles capable of mach 10-15?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
What is the big deal if it already exists missiles capable of mach 10-15?

Because those require conventional means of launching, like silos or mobile options (vehicle/air/space/sea).

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Correct. Please check out my other thread about this topic: It is noted above inthe OP or the next one.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
ICBMs can already hit any were in the would in under 1 hour.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I may be reading between the lines a little too much here but the X-37B and the HTV-2 were launched at pretty much the same time, around 7:30pm EST. It occurs to me that a launch from Florida, where the X-37B was launched, would tend to "fly" to the west, opposite of the Earth's rotation. I think this would help the launch vehicle achieve orbit faster because the relative velocity between the Earth and the launch vehicle would be greater. So, what if the X-37B had the HTV-2 as its payload and dumped HTV-2 somewhere in orbit over the pacific? Basically the launch in California was a cover for what was really happening? Any thoughts on this? I also tend to believe this thing is not a glider as we are told, but an advanced test platform for our scramjet tech.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Some updating on this topic. I see on Drudge that the Military announces if test results.

Pentagon successfully tests hypersonic flying bomb
news.yahoo.com...

Well, let's see who the lucky number one target will be.

I bet IRAN's Nut President.....

<<   2 >>

join