It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold Comforts: Antarctic Research Bases Are Seriously Self-Sustaining: You gotta see these things!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Tooling around the net I found this very interesting piece about Artic living and man-made enviroments. Hmmmm. After I looked them all over and read about them I am convinced this is how we will colonize Space. I am sure NASA and other Space minded countried are involved in this stuff. The article displays a blow-up of the jpeg image you are seeing for incredible sights: You won't be disappointed- I assure you. Almost makes one want to become an Artic Scientist.... Dam cold though
Source: www.wired.com...

Example: Please go to article to read about the rest of these 6 buildings-and see the big pics!
Princess Elisabeth (Belgium)

The new Princess Elisabeth station is the delicate flower of Antarctic buildings: small, beautiful, efficient, and blooming only in summer. Designed to be the first carbon-free facility on The Ice, the station employs a sophisticated energy-management system that makes the most of the limited power generated by its 52-kilowatt solar array and 54-kilowatt wind-turbine cluster. The station assigns a priority level to every piece of equipment and electric outlet in the building. Life-support systems and research gear trump dishwashers and portable electronics. In other words, don’t plug in your iPod without asking the station’s brain first.

Concordia (France and Italy)

Neumayer III (Germany)

Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station (USA)

Halley VI (UK)

Sanae IV (South Africa)

Wait till you read a little about these thingers..... I like the UK one best. Just hook up some sails, maybe a little motor and you can ski along to the next spot of interest.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Wow that is very amazing information and photos. Thanks for the link.

I was unaware of these types of designs; I must say I am impressed by them.

I will continue reading about it, thank you again for turning me onto this.

I have always wanted to know what the research stations looked like.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
VERY cool.

I especially like the US's and Germany's with the hydraulics.
I definitely see this type of stuff on the moon and mars one day.

Thanks for sharing S & F!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
wow, soo cool!!

i especially like the UK and Belgium bases!

they do remind you allot of the old "lunar base" art, done back in the day.
also today i guess. lol

I can surely see them being used on other worlds.
very niice!! thanks!!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Nice piece and some of them look really neat, the last one made me laugh though.

South African National Antarctic Expedition

Made me think about a piece that was in the newspaper here 2 years ago that stated; "in the zoo it was too cold outside for the Penguins and they had to stay in."

They were South African Penguins.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

LOL i know. I read it twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Glad for it. the more the merrier....

I bet you they all have some great stories to tell. 15 month stints up there. Burrrrrr.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

If you find any additional info, let me know. I am looking for some video-haven't really had a chance yet.

Some mentioned the hydraulics. I didn't even see that-or rather think of that as I was trying to grasp what it would be like to live in one and for a long period of time. Then morphed it into the whole Space aspect of these and the potenial.

Yes, looking for more info and I am glad you liked it.

new topics

top topics

join