It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-nose – Body Odor May Soon Help Identify Potential Terrorists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

E-nose – Body Odor May Soon Help Identify Potential Terrorists

www.nationalterroralert.com

No matter how well a terrorist covers their tracks, or how cool they are under pressure, the Pentagon wants to be able to detect, track, and even positively identify them from a distance. And they want to do it using nothing more than the heat and sweat that emanate from a person’s pores.

The military’s been after scent-based detection systems for years now. In 2007, Pentagon research agency Darpa solicited proposals for sensors to sniff out terrorists using unique genetic markers found in human emanations. The idea was based on research showing that mice each carried a unique “odorty
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.freerepublic.com

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
WOW

Just WOW

I sweat a lot and I guess the next time I have to fly anywhere, I may be pulled out for questioning.

I'm all for identifying potential terror suspects, but does this sound like a good idea to anyone?

What about those people that do not wear deodorant for health reasons..? (Or because they don't care)

I have sat beside some pretty odor potent people on flights before and I'm guessing they were not terrorists..

www.nationalterroralert.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I believe the real purpose of all of this new technology - whether it be mind-reading, odour detection, RFID chips etc. - is for it to be used to control the general population of the world.
Obviously, this would normally ring alarm bells, so by perpetuating and terrifying the general public by propogating the ''terrorist around every corner'' myth, they can coerce most people to accept this form of intrusion and violation of civil liberties. While the only ones who disagree with this kind of intrusive technology will be the tin-foil hat wearers, who will probably all be classed as domestic terrorists before long.

Think how easy it is for those in power: people are willingly accepting their own subjugation and tptb don't have to do a thing other than keeping their propoganda arm busy, churning out more and more fear-inducing stories.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Conspiracy Chicks fan !]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Since it sniffs out terrorists I bet the moment it's turned on in the pentagon it will explode due to terrorist overload.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

In 2007, Pentagon research agency Darpa solicited proposals for sensors to sniff out terrorists using unique genetic markers found in human emanations.

woo hoo, remote genetic profiling, no need to worry about the tricky questions surrounding people knowing you are monitoring them. not that i'm concerned about this, i'm sure it'll only be used on terrorists, if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Meet the new boss, same as the old one.

Why should the US look into what causes terrorism? That doesn't make profit...

It's so easy pointing fingers when you got over 300 military bases in the world.

This technology is indeed all about control, we are getting face/emotion/smile scanners. body-heat scanners, sweat scanners, naked body scanners, chemicals scanners, all in the name of national security.

And will it help?

No, since there are people that are even being able to get through a polygraph test, why shouldn't they get through this?

I am sick of the fear driven agenda of US international policy.

All it does is getting the world ready for a massive breakdown, what comes around goes around...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Imagine if someone hacked the e-nose and it started giving off false readings.

That's the danger with these kinds of technology -- lie detectors, face scanners... how do you know the lie detector isn't lying?

[edit on 26-4-2010 by ForAiur]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
i'm sure it'll only be used on terrorists, if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

The point of systems like these that the will be used on everyone, even on your kids, the nothing to hide nothing to fear rhetoric is pointless and makes them win over your personal freedoms.

Edit to ask, imagine that the US govt wants everyone to have their social security number tattooed on their arm, and say that without it you would be a possible terrorist, would you accept the tattoo or become a terrorist? That is how backwards the concept is. only in this matter you don't have the luxury of choosing.

They can build an electronic nose but curing a simple cold is still too far away.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

Originally posted by semperfortis

In 2007, Pentagon research agency Darpa solicited proposals for sensors to sniff out terrorists using unique genetic markers found in human emanations.

woo hoo, remote genetic profiling, no need to worry about the tricky questions surrounding people knowing you are monitoring them. not that i'm concerned about this, i'm sure it'll only be used on terrorists, if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

What is more, I bet they won't have to prove anything, just mysteirously tell us this technology works while they deny access into our country of anyone they don't wish to give a presentation, and make arrests on anyone they want to target.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I always sweat, so what does that make me. These rubbish techs, are useless in real world scenarios.

Oh no, the man or woman stinks, they are a terror suspect.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The soviets did something very similar. Apparently, they had huge vaults full of people's used underwear in order to keep a "database" of dissident's scents.

Freaks!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I think you will be perfectly safe semperfortis. They are not just smelling sweat but chemicals emitted through fear. Here are a couple more detailed pieces dealing with this new "science" and why they think it will work.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.sciencedaily.com... says..

“The sense of smell guides our social perception when the more-dominant senses are weak,” Chen said.

You do not strike me as one who portrays or exhibits fear...ever.
I don't think you at least, have to worry.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Well I suffer from panic attacks I guess I will be targeted as a terrorist for now on.

And since then the government now thing they can smell our butts like dogs and tell if we are terrorist or not.

Nothing but bull crap once again, because the target here are not the terrorist is us all of us.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

join