It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buzz kill! Is this 'bee Armageddon'? (I didn't write the headline)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Nature's most valuable workers mysteriously vanishing out of thin air

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c50c10b56b4e.jpg[/atsimg]

What is devastating the world's honeybees? In what appears to be a honeybee mystery of Armageddon proportions that has baffled scientists and beekeepers, more than one-third of the nation's bee population is mysteriously disappearing – and researchers warn the unexplained phenomenon threatens one-third of the American diet.

Entire colonies of honeybees are abandoning hives and food stores, including honey and pollen. In collapsed colonies, adult bees mysteriously disappear, and there is no accumulation of dead bees. Even hive pests such as wax moths and hive beetles are nowhere to be found around affected colonies. Likewise, other honeybees are reluctant or unwilling to rob the abandoned hives of honey.

Only days before a honeybee colony collapses, according to Bee Culture Magazine, the colony appears to be strong and fully functional. Then, it explains, the affliction travels like a wave through a beeyard. Researchers have termed the phenomenon Colony Collapse Disorder, a syndrome characterized by sudden disappearance of adult honeybees in a colony.

Bee virus transmitted by parasites?

A USDA research team published results of genetic screening of honeybee colonies affected by CCD and healthy hives. The only pathogen found in 96.1 percent of CCD-plagued colonies – but not in the non-CCD colonies – was the Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus, a virus that may be transmitted by the Varroa mite, a parasite that feeds on the blood of adult bees, larvae and pupae. Varroa mites are visible to the naked eye and attach themselves to a honeybee's body. They are known to transmit a number of pathogens and viruses.

In 2007, scientists found a strong association between CCD and a virus transmitted by parasites.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58329d82609c.jpg[/atsimg]

A USDA research team published results of genetic screening of honeybee colonies affected by CCD and healthy hives. The only pathogen found in 96.1 percent of CCD-plagued colonies – but not in the non-CCD colonies – was the Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus, a virus that may be transmitted by the Varroa mite, a parasite that feeds on the blood of adult bees, larvae and pupae. Varroa mites are visible to the naked eye and attach themselves to a honeybee's body. They are known to transmit a number of pathogens and viruses.
Close-up photo of Varroa mite[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58ab3494159f.jpg[/atsimg]Source: www.wnd.com...

Dam, just when you're flying along , collecting honey....a freaking minute parasite hitches a ride back to the colony (like n the 2nd photo)and BAM-wipe it out. Just one of a few factors but I am amazed they are tracking down the problem like they are.

This is a great article that just came out tonight. It talks about every aspect of this problems and what is next. Everything you need to know.... I think. Also, there is a big map that shows the effected states in the story. Just about every state....

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I thought the massive decrease in Bee Colonies was related to GM crops?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Although I agree that this mite may be a legit explanation for some cases of bee hive collapse; I must point out there are other possibilities for other situations as well.

Some bee hives may collapse due to pesticide contamination, and this is HIGHLY LIKELY and REASONABLE.

The bees would get the pesticides on them when out collecting, and probably bring it back to the hive thus contaminating their food supply etc.

I think we should be open to multiple possibilities here.

And there is room for all of these different possibilities to be ongoing simultaneously in separate locations.

One hive may collapse due to mite infestations, while another may become poisoned and contaminated via pesticide usage.

Very important topic by the way.

Bees are more important than humans for the Earth's ecosystem, by far.

I find them beautiful and majestic creatures, and I adore them greatly.

Last thing I want, is a dying bee colony. It's tragic.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
I thought the massive decrease in Bee Colonies was related to GM crops?

Like I said above.

I believe we have a combination of separate factors bearing down on worldwide bee colonies simultaneously.

This is the most likely explanation, imho.

GM Crops ties in with the pesticides as well.

What I believe we are dealing with is a multi-faced problem. And to solve it, we have to approach with multiple solutions for the differing aspects of this major problem.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Bees are more important than humans for the Earth's ecosystem, by far.

I find them beautiful and majestic creatures, and I adore them greatly.

Last thing I want, is a dying bee colony. It's tragic.

Starred & Quoted because it is so true.

Its definitely a multi-faceted problem.

I just hope they don't come up with some stupid solution, like a new insect specific pesticide. That will turn out to not be insect specific at all. Or some horrible idea to introduce a natural predator that will screw the natural eco-systems more so.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Although we here at ATS are weary that WND(worldnetdaily) is a source that is very difficult to trust, I believe this article here is pretty reasonable and seemingly legit.

Here is a quote from their article that I found interesting.

"While many have suggested pesticides could be a culprit, the ARS team also screened the bees for 171 pesticides.

The study found no link between increased pesticide levels and CCD. In fact, one insecticide, Esfenvalerate, used to fend off pests such as moths, flies, beetles and other insects on vegetable, fruit and nut crops, was found to be more prevalent in non-CCD colonies. The insecticide was found in 32 percent of healthy colonies but only 5 percent of the colonies with CCD.

Likewise, Coumaphos, used to treat Varroa mites in honeybees, was also found in higher levels in healthy colonies. However, pesticides have not been ruled out as a cause of CCD."

Part of me really really wonders.

Have the pesticide corporations lobbied to have their product's detrimental effects hidden? Are they downplaying the effects of pesticides etc?

It is exceptionally difficult to tell. Pesticides are poisons. They are not something that should be taken lightly or overlooked so quickly just because of one study.

I need more studies from separate independent researchers so that I can form a more full and complete picture of what the most likely scenarios we are dealing with here are.

It would NOT be unheard of for DOW Chemical and Monsanto to be actively covering up what their products are actually causing. They have the wealth and the power to actually cover this up and misdirect researchers into the wrong places.

When dealing with corporations this powerful, we must always remain vigilant and weary of being hoodwinked.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Where do they believe this is happening? I've been hearing this story for the past 2 years, & I have yet to see any decrease of honey bees in my area. As I have a large garden filled with many rose bushes and such, the bees are constantly flying into my home & of course buzzing around the flowers en mass as they always have. So, I am just wondering where this decrease in honeybees is taking place.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by j.r.c.b.
Where do they believe this is happening? I've been hearing this story for the past 2 years, & I have yet to see any decrease of honey bees in my area. As I have a large garden filled with many rose bushes and such, the bees are constantly flying into my home & of course buzzing around the flowers en mass as they always have. So, I am just wondering where this decrease in honeybees is taking place.

I believe the issue is not with your local random beehive colony so much.

But the issue is probably stemming from Industrial bee colonies used to pollinate our crops.

Granted, the bees may survive beyond all of this in the end.

But I doubt we have such good chances.

That is why this should be top headline news at all the MSM outlets.

We need to start solving this problem now. It has some very reliable facts and documentation behind it. I am taking the subject very seriously.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by j.r.c.b.

I believe the issue is not with your local random beehive colony so much.

But the issue is probably stemming from Industrial bee colonies used to pollinate our crops.

Granted, the bees may survive beyond all of this in the end.

But I doubt we have such good chances.

That is why this should be top headline news at all the MSM outlets.

We need to start solving this problem now. It has some very reliable facts and documentation behind it. I am taking the subject very seriously.

Aahhh...I see what your saying Muzzleflash. Thank you for explaining... I do feel bad for those bees getting those disgusting parasites!! Again, thank you for explaining.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
it's like nature attacking itself.

How can we stop these nasty bugs killing probably our most important insect species on the planet?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I don't think there is much man can do. The problem is too wide spread. Maybe we should just let nature take it's course and see what happens.

Should be interesting. Beside, with pending doom in 2012-whats it really matter?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Bees are dramatically disappearing all over the world. In China, in Sichuan province, people have been manually pollinating the pear orchards since 1980, after bees were killed by pesticides. Some experts say that this can happen all over the world: www.thisislondon.co.uk...

[edit on 25-4-2010 by herbivore]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hi there,

I agree that it must be a combination of many factors for the bees to be dying on such a massive scale.

Another theory that I found quite interesting is discussed in this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The author accually came upon this idea by accident when he found swarms of dead bees near satelite dishes he installs for a living.

I thought I'd add it for anyone interested who has not seen it yet.

Very interesting, s & f for brining up a subject that should really have more of us worried.

One third of our food supply? WOW.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by herbivore

Interesting, manually pollinating, so we have a whole new job market ahead of us?

I really hope they find a natural cure or way to train the bees to use micro-tasers.

GM

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Grey Magic]

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic

I really hope they find a natural cure or way to train the bees to use micro-tasers.

Although you are joking, that actually is possible.

Highly difficult and advanced ? Yes.

But I could certainly see an advanced alien being capable of training Bees to use a specially designed technology to remove a mite.

Consider the way bees communicate, and their dances and highly organized methods.

They would actually be quite easy to train, if you understood them and how they think.

We humans are too primitive to achieve this right now, obviously. But it is certainly not impossible.

And I love this kind of out of the box thinking.

Bees with mini-tasers? It's possible. Unlikely, but possible.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Hatcookie

I saw that thread you are talking about. I think the micorwaves(buzzing), the infestation noted in this piece and something in nature is making this happen.

I did like this idea a manual pollenation concept.

new topics

top topics

join