It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious "Meteorite" burns on Israel beach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
A Mysterious "Meteorite" has hit a beach in Bat Yam, south of Tel Aviv , just missing a lifeguard booth.
Do Meteorites generally burst into flames and give of copious amounts of smoke when they land or is this odd ?.
I know they generate a lot of heat on the way through the atmosphere but this one seems to go above and beyond.

Another lifeguard, Yossi Mizrahi, said: "The meteorite kept on burning and gave off an odd smell. It kept on burning even when we put it in the water and it melted seashells as if they were candles."

Source

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
first thought that came to my mind is imagine if you're walking down the road minding you're own business and got hit by one of these...

no, the syrians didnt give hezbollah scuds, they gave them a device that can shoot meteorites!!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
looks like a piece of burning bubbleing plastic to me...a meteorite that fell on a surface of UNBROKEN!!! shells.....right....sure....jeez.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Strange. Awfully similar to a burning plastic. Plastic on fire produces black smoke, extremely hot, and has an aroma that is different, and can be dangerous if inhaled. All evidence points to that its plastic, yet it looks nothing like it. Weird. Good find.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I believe sea shells are partly composed of Calcium Carbonate. The meteorite kept burning even when water was thrown on it. This makes me believe that Potassium maybe in the composition of the meteorite and there will be a complete exothermic reaction. This would explain some of the fusion and smoke/heat from the object.
Very interesting.
S&F
PS
If a glob of goo starts oozing from the mass, run like he!! is after you.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Violater1]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If it were plastic, covering it with dirt or sand would cut off its oxygen and it would stop burning. This reminds me of an H. P. Lovecraft story called "The color out of space."

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
I know they generate a lot of heat on the way through the atmosphere but this one seems to go above and beyond.

Funnily enough (I was just thinking about this strangely enough) - Although a Meteorite will pick up considerable heat energy as it comes through the atmosphere if it actually makes it to the ground in one piece they are not that hot at all!

It's a little counter-intuitive until you think about it, this Meteorite has been in the frozen depths of space for god knows how long, it it's self is basically a frozen lump of whatever - and as it screams through the atmosphere in the final few minutes it's only the outside that is getting the heat energy and burning off, if it hits the deck in any size then the core will still be cold and the outside will cool quite quickly! - Mind you they do have to be about bigger than a closed fist for this to be true I would think.

Any way that don't look like a Meteorite, looks like something that maybe fell from an aircraft or a missile, either fuel of some sort of more likely a bit of some sort of incendiary device...

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Could it be an anthrax attack?

Warhead loaded with spores?

I think it takes 3-5 days before anybody shows symptoms......

Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I agree with the melting plastic part because of the amount of smoke.

And nowhere in the video do they put it in water, or another attempt to try extinguish the fire another way.

Must have been a slow news day in Israel.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Looks like White phosphorus.40 secs in

[edit on 24-4-2010 by remymartin]

[edit on 24-4-2010 by remymartin]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
According to Dr Noah Broch, head of Tel Aviv observatory it is not a meteorite. Actually he thinks it is some home-made explosives. Source is in Hebrew. I heard all kinds of crazy theories - from meteorite to Iceland volcano!
Actually once i heard that it fell without any sound and no explosion followed - i assumed that it is not meteorite. Was in middle of writing thread to ATS on it ,by the way.

As for weak news day - there is no such thing as weak news day in Israel. People who live in boring countries - you are welcome to Israel.
I even have tourist luring moto -
Israel - living in interesting times 24/7.
Edit: forgot to write name/credentials of scientist.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
That is NOT a Meteorite.

Some kind of burning chemicals.

With a lot of stupid people standing around what could be a burning toxin.

If something like that was found in Calif burning on a beach the cops would have evacuated the area.

Here you are in a country with terrorist and the Israeli cops just stand watching.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
/Crazy conspiracy mode on.

It is probably a bit of Greek fire from the 11th century that time traveled when it got in a small time-warp, created by the large hadron collider missing micro black hole, that went into the past and back to the future, it could spark an inter-time war between Israel and Byzantine Empire...

/Crazy Conspiracy mode off

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Grey Magic , I think you've nailed it
Sounds perfectly plausible to me

Of course it could just be a piece of the sky ....

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Looks almost like a chunk of tar.. Could tar burn slowly if compressed tightly?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Looks like to me someone is shooting some metallic sodium, potassium, calcium or magnesium, or combinations thereof, at the beach with a high-powered slingshot. What an idea!

Pour on some water and it keeps burning! Terrrrrismmmm......

[edit on 24-4-2010 by 1SawSomeThings]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
LOL News Flash! While perusing his soon to be new digs and spying a spot on the beach for his future palace, Satan had an urge and couldn't hold it, see video hehehe

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Barkster]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
They probobally got the same idea from the "incident" last year in Latvia, which turned out to be nothing more than a Mobile Phone stunt.

ANY time you hear of these reports, and the crater is filmed with flaming smoke and fire you can be sure its a fake straight away. Most often than not Meteorites of these size Break up in the upper Atmosphere, rather than simply plop down to the ground intact and melting away.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Barkster
LOL News Flash! While perusing his soon to be new digs and spying a spot on the beach for his future palace, Satan had an urge and couldn't hold it, see video hehehe

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Barkster]

Or its first wave of WORMWOOD (SCOUTING)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Here is a good clip on what i could be..

news.discovery.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join