It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it legal to raise taxes just because the economy sucks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Hi, I just would like to hear what people here on ATS thinks about this.

In the State of Michigan in the U.S a CIty called Warren Plans to raise taxes. You would say well so what other cities raise taxes too. This is a little different. The excuse they gave was well because for foreclosures in the area the peoples house value fell which makes property taxes to drop. Which is the whole point about it where if your value of your house fell then so does your taxes. Well the city of warren is crying out about it saying that it would mean they won't be collecting the same amount of taxes as it was before. So they said well we can fix it lets raise the taxes. They had to decide weather to either hike the taxes or layoff police officers.

The link to a article is here : www.macombdaily.com...

I would like to hear what you think about this. I would say they should of laid police officers off or give them a paycut. They need to size down rather then hike the taxes to people barley hanging on.

I keep hearing the economy is getter better. Yet just heard about this coming fall semester college tuition hikes. Some colleges are not going to charge you a counselor fee. Also other services fees like security and library fees and a raise prices of existing fees. I also notice that For me the colleges charge me a fee for a gym membership yet you have no choice to accept it or not. If your enrolled you pay per semester those fees even if you don't use the gym. I personally have no time to use the gym since I be studying and doing hw most of my time for college.

I also just want to give you guys a heads up about the accounting field since I am majoring in this area in college. I was told by a professor by 2016 that the accounting profession will follow International standards accounting principals rather then gaap and fasb. This means accounting profession is going global by 2016. We will have some small changes to our accounting systems. I was told already some companies are already following it. Other companies are currently makeing the changes to follow the new accounting profession group.

This whole post is mainly about the state of our economy.

I would like to hear what you think about this and also would like to hear your opinion about the U.S economy now... dosen't have to be the U.S economy would still be interested hearing about other countries economies.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
well it's happening in a lot of states

the state of NC is raising it's gas tax
minimum from 4 to 8 cents per gallon.

And u need to see this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
NO ! IT IS NOT LEGAL TO RAISE TAXES!!

No one, no mortal has the right to force me to pay more than what I have. It is my hard earned money. It is for me. I worked hard for it.

I deserve all that money can bring. I have my savings. Those who have no money, they can starve for all I care. It's not my fault they have no money. They did not work as hard as I did, or just plain stupid not to seize opportunities and could not see it comming.

No! The money is mine! All mine! I aint gonna share it with NO ONE!!!! I'm not gonna invest one penny to create jobs. It's not my responsibility!

If the govt has no money, then they can shut down all its services. It's there fault for not anticipating how the market is going. They are the leaders, given priviledges, power and wealth to moniter and steer the ship of the State. It's the captain's fault that the ship is sinking, not MINE!!!

The teachers, social services staff can pack up their bags and go. Education and caring has gotten us nowhere. The doctors can get lost and close down hospitals. I have my own band aid and snake oil, need no fancy pants drugs.

The police can resign. I have my own gun to take care of myself. The soldiers won't be paid by a cent from my salary. They have guns and ammo, so they can forage for food as best as they can.

I have my own land, house and garden. I have canned food to last for a time. I had seeds to grow. There's a river near my place for water. I have all I need. The rest of the world can starve for all I care. The fittest survive! It's the law!

No one is GONNA TOUCH MY MONEY AND GOLD !!!

( A satire, in response to this thread's title.Is this the way the cookie must crumble?)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
they can raise them to a point, and the reason I see them raising taxes is pretty simple, the rest of the world is holding 40+ trillion U.S. Dollars and i would say about 30 trillion is going to wash up on our shores in the next 36months. you think the economy is improving - well it is, those dollars are starting to flow in to the US buying assets, the foriegners have cash and are buying assets. DO NOT SELL YOUR PROPERTY TO A FOREIGNER. the asset will used to seperate you from your HOMELAND.(nazi phase)

notice 70% of average people are bearly keeping up with their bills. add the increased attention of law enforcement, the criminal activity corporate America has been engaged in, its coming to a rapid boil from a slow incremental "frog boil" (turn the heat up one degree every 30mins and the frog will not jump out of the pot. well they put us in the pot and have slowly depleated our mass assets down to a point to where they can just flip the switch to high and were all trapped in the pot.
thus - result were cooked. we are to poor to resist. Resist What...?
good question - a Nazi overthrow of a Nazi regime - well if that is it, then that would have taken place in 1953, the first noticible anti-american freedom laws began to creep into our government - Joe McCarthy Communist Witch hunt - took over Hollywood and now CIA works their magic without contention. brainwashing step by step edward bernaise.
courtousy of the entertainment industry.

The assets they are going to buy - Commerical RealEsate (first) if you notice Washington has not said a word about this nightmare in the wings. So, if this is the case then they dont want you looking at investing in Commerical RealEstate, because that is their target. I envision a massive scare in Commerical RealEstate causing a massive decline in price and a increase attactiveness as to fair value. (research how Rothchild bought the London Stock Exchange).
(secondly) they will buy (housing) so mom and pop, you will not see any relief except maybe a increase in your paycheck to keep you from quitting.
I suggest to combat such a diabolical plan. would be to force the nation in to bankruptcy. which is a impossible feat unless everyone did the same thing. withdraw all cash from the banks, do not pay a single bill, turn off everything and do nothing until we get a new deal. what are the odds of that happening... >? that the only way I see "We The People, not ending up as property", I am open to hear what you think they will do next.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Anti-Evil]

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Anti-Evil]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by computerwiz32

Legal? That is questionable. I believe it is called "Taxation without Representation." Hmmm. Seems to me I have heard that somewhere before.....can anyone help me here?
Oh, yeah, we FOUGHT A WAR OVER THIS!

I have said it before, I will say it again. Time for the States to secede from the CORPORATION UNITED STATES. America was originally a Confederation of States, then Lincoln set in place a series of laws and events that took away our representation in Congress, then GWB took that from Congress too. Now Obama is Ruler of America. How long will the States last under a fascist rule with no place in government for anyone except lobbyists?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Yeah!!! You got that right!!! TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!

Bush used tax monies to finance the long drawn Iraqi war. As a result, during those times right up till today,:-

1. There were no police keeping american states safe.
2. Hospitals were closed. The sick were turned away and left to die.
3. Schools closed. Teachers joined the army
4. There were no govt services at all.
5. There was no election held during that period.
6. When the financial crisis hit, EVERY american had no help
5. It's only a miracle other nations did not seize that opportunity to step all over America.

Yeah!! TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!! SECEDE!!!!

(Another satire from moi. :-P)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It is both legal and inevitable. It may not be a good idea and you are certainly welcome not to like it. If your local government raises your taxes you have the right to vote them out of office. We fought a war for this, and we won. However, if the representative government you vote for does cut your taxes, then fires the police department, cuts the fire department to the bone and lets the roads go to ruin, please don't complain if an arsonist sets your house on fire and the town's one remaining fire truck can't get there in time to save it.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by computerwiz32

I was told by a professor by 2016 that the accounting profession will follow International standards accounting principals rather then gaap and fasb.

This is a much more interesting topic for the "Conspiracy Board." Is it possible that we are being prepared for a Value Added Tax (VAT) in this country?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Just because you do not like something, it does not mean it is illegal or unconstitutional. I do not like the nasty things Neo-Nazis say, but their speech is legal and protected by the Constitution. I do not like the electoral college, but it is legal and sanctioned by the Constitution.

Similarly, a tax policy that you do not happen to agree with is not necessarily unconstitutional or illegal. There is no clause in the Constitution saying elected officials cannot make bad policies.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I have heard Tax Law professors talk about a VAT being added. According to these professors, it will supplement the current income tax regime and not replace it.

The fact is our country is going broke. No politician from either political party is ever going to cut spending, so the government is going to have to raise taxes.

top topics

join