It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona immigration bill signed into law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has signed into law Senate Bill 1070, a contentious immigration measure that gives police sweeping powers to question and arrest illegal immigrants.

Brewer made the announcement Friday at a press conference in Phoenix.
The law allows police to arrest illegal immigrants for trespassing in Arizona; requires immigrants to carry work and travel papers; and makes it a crime to transport illegal immigrants, including day laborers.

Brewer faced political pressure from both sides on this issue. The governor is running for re-election.

Public opinion polls show the majority of Arizona voters back the measure, with strong support from conservatives including Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who also is mulling a gubernatorial run.

Critics include those in the tourism industry, who are concerned that the law underscores a negative image of Arizona and could cost the state conventions and other major events. Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon and others say the measure is anti-Latino and will lead to unfair targeting of those with brown skin.

www.bizjournals.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon and others say the measure is anti-Latino and will lead to unfair targeting of those with brown skin.

Wait, what, are all illegal aliens Latino or dark skin?

I think this person is racist. How dare he accuse Latinos of being the only illegal immigrants.

I think something should be done about that!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I like what Arizona is doing with the place. They stick up for the constitution with their gun bills, and they crack down on criminal trespassers from Mexico with this new bill. I think that the bill could pose some temporary problems with people who are already citizens, but cops know where to look for criminal trespassers, so I'm sure there won't be alot of problems with Americans.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Maybe you should go to Phoenix.

Not a whole lot of Norweigan illegals in that city. If you are able to find 10 illegals there that are not of hispanic heritage then you brought in ringers.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
All I can say is, About Frikin' Time !!!

Many congrats to the LEGAL citizens of Arizona who supported this bill by 70%. Watch your crime rate plummet but nuisance from the sympathizer sky rocket. You'll see more vandalism from these same sympathizers in a bid to vent their anger.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
We need one of them bad boys down here in Texas! Good job Zona

-E-

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think the Governor and the Citizens of Arizona should now personally invite Mr. Obama to Arizona for Dinner. Make sure the state troopers have a checkpoint near the Airport where Air Force 1 will land.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
congrats arizona. take full advantage of this law and enforce it immediately
im goin to make an unfortunate prediction here tho and say that illegal immigrant violence rises because of it in the short term... go arizona, all that you need to do now is get the cochise county militia down to the border..

apparently they already are. www.cochisecountymilitia.org...

397 strong with a further 8,000 supporters. decent..

[edit on 23-4-2010 by TheCoffinman]

top topics

join