It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cv advice needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hey i've been feeling that my cv is getting dusty and lame,
would anyone be able to help me update it or give me ideas how to relay it out,,
i am not having any luck in the it/admin business.
I currently hold an european driving license level 1 and 2, it seems that the course may have been a waste to add to my cv as nobody seems to care about any it courses that I do, I can build pc's and fix them and also computer illiterate.

any help would be of sound advice

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
keep it simple, make it all to fit on one page. Emphasize your positives, But im sure there is someone who can give you better advice on here.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Without actually seeing your CV it's hard to know what you need to add or change, but I would gladly help you try and update it.

What quals do you have? I'm assuming the European driving licence you mentioned is the ECDL qualification, what about GCSE's, A-levels etc?

I would say keep it as concise and to the point as possible, make sure it's all spelt correctly and in a readable layout.

Also, make sure it is relevant to the job or position you are looking for, and most of all don't lie or exagerrate, it's a lot easier to get caught out nowadays.

How are you getting it out to people? Are you applying for advertised jobs or sending it to companies in case they have anything coming up?

I've found the latter can lead to someone in a HR department binning it as their preferred method of filing, but there are ways you could adjust this approach.

Feel free to U2U me if you want any other pointers..

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm literally applying for everything. I am bright and hardworking and when I do have an interview I always usually get the job, its just like I am fishing in a pond with no fish, the last job I applied for I started full time and they said the hours are not contracted so one week I could get 6 hours so I left otherwise I would be in
with my landlord and bills

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Presentation is something that needs to be spot on. Might sound like a silly little thing, but making sure you're cv is printed on good quality paper can make it stand out. And maybe including a little bit of colour might be a good idea, not anything ridiculous like hot pink, but a couple of titles in dark blue colour can make it look much nicer.

Aside from that though, if you go via google theres plenty of sites offering free templates and tips!

[edit on 23/Apr/2010 by Bluebelle]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'd have to agree with the bit about colour and what i would call "posh" paper.

What would you say is the ideal job for you?....and do you have a minimum income in mind?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
put all the computer related skills,or other skills,stuff that make you unique and better then the other. all the languages you know. make it look cool : D
and write a nice letter of "why i want to work for you"

new topics

top topics

join