It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New Body Parts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   
National University of Singapore has come up with a technique to grow tendons and ligaments that can be used to replace damaged ones. The breakthrough came about by the development of a machine that is used in the process to stretch the developing tissue.

New Parts

The machine pulls on one end of the sheet, pulsing about once every second, and creating a tension similar to that which the tendon and ligament cells experience inside the human body.

Apparently, this prompts the stem cells on the scaffold to start elongating, and turning into the tendon and ligament cells. 'If you didn't have this pulling motion, you'd end up with ordinary, starfish-shaped cells,' said Prof Goh.

The team also rigged up a flow system, to make sure that the nutrients flowed over and through the scaffold in one way only. Seeming to sense the flow of food, the cells then align themselves in a linear fashion - vital to the formation of the fibrous ligaments.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is sure to help many people since there is no need to worry about rejection. Plus this hopefuly will be ready by the time I start needing replacement parts.

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Stem Cells Are so amazing, Like programs, with If Statments in them,

If you pull on it turn into this type of cell etc.. Just amazing

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Interseting. Only a matter of time until we start growing our own replacement parts. Scary idea, if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
there are many interesting things being done with stem cells.teeth

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think that one of the interesting things with this development is that they are using the patients own adult stem cells.

top topics

join