It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A World Wide minimum wage?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

And I do live and deal with the real world, modern day slavery is a real world issue in case you havent noticed

That depends on what you mean by slavery. Do you mean the literal buying and selling of human beings? Or do you mean the "relative slave wages" of non or under-developed nations?

I'm guessing the second one, so I'll address that.

America, being on quite a large economic plateau of our own making, has a very different valuation of money. The relative prices here are not the same as the relative prices another place, so we can't say things like "they live on 2 dollars a day" and think that should have any value in terms of our general cost in America.

Additionally, the government has no need to interfere with other nations. It is not our business, not our home, not our taxes, we have no voting rights there, do not make policy, and have little influence on their domestic laws.

China, for example, has very poor infrastructure and business laws. They allow companies to do all sorts of things. That is China, not America, and there really isn't much we can do about it.

Africa and Latin/South America aren't really that much better. The fighting, economic problems, and political upheavals are generally pretty common.

How would you suggest addressing those? A new currency and minimum wage simply won't cut it because it addresses practically none of the issues that plague these places like a virus.

I think your brain would be put to better use thinking up policy for America (or whatever nation you live in) rather than trying to right the injustice of the world.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I agree theres a lot of things wrong with the world today.

what to do about chinas pollution and business laws? Seems kind of off topic.

I was trying to talk about wages. and actually this is a fight for the american middle class. Every job we export to a "slave" is one less middleclass person we have.

<< 1   >>

join