It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transocean Rig Reportedly Sinks off Louisiana Coast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Let.s see, Obummer ok's a sham order to allow miniscule drilling to make it look like he is on the Repubs side. Then he has one of the biggest rigs blow to hell, creates a huge environmental disaster, so he can then turn around and cancel it all and take more control

he get's to be the "hero" both ways. kinda like a "false flag" environmental disaster.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by papagil]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated.

Source

The vapors are indeed dangerous.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I believe this to a perfect example of Irony
An oil rigg collapses into Gulf of Mexcio on Earth day......

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MandBB

I was thinking the same thing... I'll just add this...

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
~John Muir

Oh Beautiful for smoggy skies, insecticides grain,
For strip-mined mountain's majesty above the asphalt plain.
America, America, man sheds his waste on thee,
And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea.
~George Carlin

Which world do we want to live in?

*Hoping for the best with regards to the missing workers*

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
amazed to see this on ATS and well done the poster!

I am a supplier to the offshore industry within UK waters and transocean is one of my clients.

As part of my job i consistently monitor the uk offshore industry and was parly to being on a forum as this event was taking place and watching the live updates from vessels in the area who where en route to assist.

I spend of lot of time talking to the guys in the radio rooms of oilsrigs, supply boats and yachts and sincerey hope none of the guys ive spoken to are hurt and that all are safe.. I know there where eleven seriously wounded and i am monitoring this from the uk.

Hope you are all well guys.

Wrangell, when im back in the office tomorrow i should be able to tell you how much this rig pumps out. As for when it exploded it was only on test drilling so it had hardly started production. Im assuming oil was found as there is usually a small crew on board for exploration. This rig houses 130 people. 126 on board tells me these guys had struck and where starting to extract.

Moonsoulja, this is not covered up news. The Guardian newspaper in the Uk was on top of it minutes after it happened, hence which prompted me to hit my offshore forums for more information. Just need to know where to look

[edit on 22-4-2010 by zeetroyman]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Recent article from Business Week.

www.businessweek.com...

Talks about the spill size and a little about containment. Local Fox News this morning was indicating a blowout with no warning signs of problems.

I've been in the insurance industry for a lifetime and I'm checking with friends still in it to see what they know. Will post any other updates that I get.

ETA: Another link: www.nytimes.com...

Another: www.theprovince.com...

[edit on 4/22/2010 by TXTriker]

[edit on 4/22/2010 by TXTriker]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Government is in bed with Big Oil.
They have no real intentions of worrying about the environment. The US Bails out GM in the US.

This is like what happened at the coal mine situation. They also don't care about people. My brother in law works on an oil rig. He works 2 weeks on, and 2 weeks off. He also has to have a passport to work on the rig he does, because it is in international waters, but he is from Louisiana. Perhaps the hold up in aid to this oil platform was complicated for this reason.

Many people I know in the area where my brother in law lives, do this for a living. There are few jobs otherwise, except for boilermaking.

Sometimes you gotta do,, what you gotta do, to survive, despite environmental issues.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Just in time for summer travel and the regular increase in fuel demand. Just like before the economic crisis we were being told we are clawing our way out of.
Remember that summer two years ago when gas almost cost $5 a gallon in the US? Remember how after months of that people couldn't pay their rents and mortgage's?
MSM focused on political posturing...oh this side made bad loans legal that side let it happen...the other side forced people to buy when they couldn't afford it....ALL TO COVER FOR THE OIL COMPANIES BEING THE REAL CULPRET for gouging the poeples pockets, and crashing the economy. And some say it wasn't really the oil companies, it was speculators on walstreet running up the price per barrel.
Well I think its a combo of the two latter.
And I recal going into those high prices, before speculators were blamed, oil companies cited some breakdowns as shunting the flow.

Well, here we go again.

But for right now...lets just hope the missing workers get to come home alive.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This could be industrial saboutage of some sort. It could be a joint mission of Mexicans and Venezuelans and Cubans. It could be a very convenient false flag event not immediately apparent but wait.... they need a false flag event on May 6th and so this was an assault on .... Sorry, but my mind sees conspiracies under every doily these days.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I use to work in the O&G industry and knew some folks that worked for Transocean. Don't know if they still do. Also, know alot of oil field service people, some working offshore La. and Texas. Hope none were on this rig.

I remember as a kid when I would walk the beach in Galveston, Texas, there were always balls of oil/tar everywhere.

The tar balls found up and down the Texas shoreline are not from drilling. They are caused by the natural seepage of the oil underlying the floor of the ocean. They would be there whether or not drilling is going on offshore.

This could be industrial saboutage of some sort.
I suspect sabotage, it fits in with a "National Security" threat/event.

Oh baloney! Not everything is a conspiracy. Any drilling rig is dangerous under certain conditions. Sometimes no matter the safely apparatus in place, things happen with little warning. Sometimes you get a few seconds warning. This rig had a blowout and when that happens anybody on the rig floor, especially one close to the drill stem, is most likely killed.

From what I understand from the news reports, they were cementing casing.
The pressure beneath the casing was probably so extreme, the mud weight could not hold it back. Once it broke thru the cementing/casing and started moving up the drill pipe to the drill floor, all it took was a spark to cause an explosion. The spark could have been caused by the same things that cause a spark anywhere else. Someone smoking DID NOT cause the spark. Believe me, one DOES NOT smoke on the drill floor.

They most likely already have deep sea divers working to cap off the well, which could take just a few days or much longer. Hard to say since I don't know what the conditions are at the ocean floor.

I was a drilling fluids engineer. Didn't work offshore, but drilling operations for onshore or offshore are basically the same. My first job was on a blowout relief well. Seeing the huge crater in the ground from the blowout and knowing the same thing could happen on the relief well was scary as hell. But, also very educational and interesting.

Some jobs are just dangerous. Police, firefighters, miners, electrical line workers, etc.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

You know my suspicions were raised too about the eleven missing. Yes, sure it could be just an accident, but something just doesn't seem right. Maybe I missed the news article in regards to the ones missing, but there is a lack of information in regards to what exactly happened on the rig. Usually when a tragedy happens like this, the media is all over it trying to get the reason behind the disaster. Maybe my conspiracy mind is in overdrive, but I don't know, we will see...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by inthesticks

The tar balls found up and down the Texas shoreline are not from drilling. They are caused by the natural seepage of the oil underlying the floor of the ocean. They would be there whether or not drilling is going on offshore. [quote/]

I can promise you that years ago, in the 80's those tar balls were more than just oil naturally leaking. In fact, before more strict regulations were put into place, on several occasions tankers coming in and out of the Ship Channel dumped their ballast and many other wonderful items, which in turn showed up on shore. This is coming from someone who worked in the oil industry for ten years, specifically at one point researching on ballast water environmental hazards.

[edit on 4/22/2010 by wrangell76]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrangell76

This just came in a short while ago...These are not completely confirmed reports yet. What a mess! Really sad for the environment.

Houston Chronicle states

Some other media outlets have called and are being told by the Coast Guard they are not confirming the report. But Senior Chief Petty Officer Mike O'Berry told me they were just "dotting the i's and crossing the t's" before putting out a confirmation.

link: blogs.chron.com...

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/22/2010 by wrangell76]

For the environment? Are You kidding Me? Dpo you hate Your fellow man so much that You could care less for the families? What about all the children without fathers now? Oh wait it doesn't matter because they were gone all the time anyway right?

You are sad these people sacrifice way more for their living than ordinary people. These people work 12 to 18 hour days and guess what they don't get to go home at night. Some of these people might stay on that rig for 3 months straight trying to support their families..

How do I know because I work offshore just like those men You have so much contempt for.....

And for Your info the gulf has very little oil and the majority of the wells are natural gas.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
We really need to get rid of oil or find better measures to prevent these kinds of things from happening. One spill is one thing, dozens and dozens of spills is a whole different thing.

The measures You are talking about are in place. They fly choppers up and down pipelines on a daily basis looking for spills or leaks. The oil companies spend millions making sure stuff like this don't happen. I lost count how many times I worked on 150k a day jobs trying to repair leaks.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wrangell76

Some of the rigs out around that area pump about 50k barrels a day.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jkm1864

I just had to reply back to what you said, if you read on further on in my posts you will see that my prayers go out to the families and victims. Please read the entire thread before you make a uncalled for comment like that...Human life comes first before the environment. I have always felt that way...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
get ready
u r about to see $5 to $6
a gallon gas prices

I dont think this was an accident.
Mossad maybe

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

It's ok we have China/GM making 500 dollar cars

[edit on 25-4-2010 by SLAYER69]