It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People crave disaster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
OK I know it is not just me, becuase I have seen evidence of this here in ATS. whenever something bad happens, disasters or the like, it just seems that people just wants to see it get worse, and have the world come crashing down.

Why?

If something really bad happens, hurricane, earthquake volcano, Coup d'etat, civil unrest, or just plain bad governance, then I have noticed that the general human condition wants to see just how bad it can get, and when it stops, feels a little disappointed.

Is it me? Or is it something in our psyches that wants to see this stuff happen, because our own live are just sooo boring that we crave excitement. I suppose the that caveat to that is that its good as long as it is just not us then it's OK.

This I infer is the sickness of the human condition and a reason why there will NEVER be peace on earth. We are addicted to chaos!

OK flame away I don't care. I just want to know people's thoughts and feelings on this one.

edit for Spelling, grammar and context.

[edit on 20/404/1010 by JakiusFogg]

[edit on 20/404/1010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It's called being tired of a mediocre life and existence. Some people crave excitement, desire disasters to become catalysts to change.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

I can understand the catalyst for change part, but is it really necessary for the schadenfreude that I see and experience both here in ATS and in the real world, whenever everything goes bad, Not to mention the reality shows on TV. One reason for being could be that TPTB know this so supply us with our daily fix of badness just to keep us from rioting in the streets. A sort of gradual vent rather than explosion.

If we are all so disturbed enough to crave seeing this stuff, as a result of a deep desire to through off the shackles of oppression. then why o why do we put ourselves in this position. lets face it, everything in this world is of our own creation.

I just cannot shake the feeling that people of authority have no real authority only that which we give them. I guess that is the essence of "civilization". But i for one am sick to death of it.

So why do we not all just go mental and take back our world from ourselves!!??? a very strange concept granted!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
No flame from me my friend...

I believe you are correct... although it obviously doesn’t apply to all people.

Consider this... 10,000 years ago life was hard. Very hard... Humans had to scrap a living from the land by either farming or hunting!

Nevertheless, life was simple. You had a small community and the daily task would be shared out amongst everyone... Cooking, cleaning, gathering, hunting... everyone had the role clearly defined. We ate fresh natural food and breathed clean air. We worked under the sun and slept under the moon! Life was hard... but simple!

Compare that with 10 hours in an office being bathed in artificial light. After this another hour is spent stuck on a train packed full of people while we attempt to get back to the concrete blocks we call home. Only to spend the remainder of our time slumped in front of a glowing screen while devouring artificial gloop we call food!

In order for us to live in these concrete blocks, we have a dept that we can never repay!

We have house insurance, life insurance, insurance for our pet goldfish... credit cards, electric bills, phone bills, tax to pay... meetings to go to, crime to avoid, appointments for this, schedules for that... everything needs doing now and the clock is ticking...

We could not be further from our roots if we tried... our lives are SO un-natural is it any wonder that people want the system to collapse... Somewhere, deep down in the psyche, they long to be walking through the tall grass in search of berries!!

Well that how i see it anyway... good thread

S+F

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

The craving for disaster is a normal psychological process for many people but not all. Conditioning from education, advertising, main stream media BS, as well as other forms of mind manipulation are to blame. The main reason for this is the ignorance of the inner workings of the mind and also a total lack of identity. If one is aware and understands how the mind works, that person cannot be affected by any of the events happening in his life or around the world.
Many ATS members that i know do not have this problem for they are well balanced and centered and they do not look at events with a subjective attitude.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

muckster
that was just so eloquently written
it almost made me cry

and it's the utter truth
IMHO

star 4 U

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Its like pressing your tongue against that lose tooth ..... its painful but perversely pleasurable .

Being caught out in a bad thunderstorm .... willing mother nature do her worst ..... "come on , is that the best you got !"

But most of all - its the DRAMA .... contrasting highs and lows or lows and lowers in the case of the OP.
Humans are forever creating narratives ..... its how we prefer our information , perhaps its a throw back to our pre-history when every culture was an oral tradition. Gossiping is a very social act , akin to grooming by other primates .
Essential we are engaging in a very novel form of international gossip here on ATS .

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yes I admit, I am a doomsdayer,... full fledged. Been that way since the early 80's I have been watching the unfolding of this scene for the last 30 years. And Since I am in it,.. I can't just dismiss it.
The world has been in a degrading state for many years and any deniers are simply blind to what in happening around.
The moral quality alone has fallen to a dispicable levels.
Nations fight over issues that most realize are childish.
Teenage girls dress in a manor truly unfit for the age.
Crime, war , and corruption is peaking,.. So why not want a change..
Yes I am tired and for some reason feel it to the core of my soul that the change is about to begin.
I crave disaster for reasons of the need for purity of this planet and... well,.. I like the power of the earth..
Peace to all

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
No flame from me either,

Western society is sick, divisive, and proclaims war as a trusted virtue. Our cultural "idols" are celebs acting out their roles as arrogant and ignorant alpha-mind controlled males, "ultimate prostitute" beta females carrying on a media driven war of the sexes, while delta-controlled military-minded ultraviolence savages all thought. Without recognizing the problems, or getting to the underlying ideologies that promote them to perpetuity, we can never get to the bottom of them. In other words "it's going to get worse before it gets better".

Our bodies are a keen indicator here, because restoring ourselves to true health, happens in stages. Clensing programs, improving diet, and exercise all break down bad material, reject it through the skin and as waste, all the while suffering the lesser trials of colds, fevers, and aches. Let's put aside all negativity and consider this at length. Our bodies are constantly trying to heal themselves, to fight off invaders, and to replace poor body material with higher-grade material as it becomes available. One inevitably gets a little sick before reaching the next stage of health.

We need healthy minds to have healthy bodies, to cultivate a lifestyle that no longer declares war with ones own being. Part of that means declaring private war with the elements of society which harm us, or prevent our health and continuity of life from continuing, and which causes malignant harm to others. So by speaking out on issues to some extreme, as people are prone to do increasingly as they distinguish unhealthy elements, I see it as positive.

I found this intriguing, and on-topic for your OP. It's from the Bavarian Illuminati site, which are the branch of illuminati diametrically opposed to the nwo plans, which they refer to nothing more than the old world order stomping to global control. To paraphrase Emerson, greater than the building was the blueprint, greater than the blueprint was the person behind the blueprint, and greater than the man/woman was the thought.

This isn't merely a psycology primer, they conceptualize on and give rather valuable overviews on westernized society.

Freudian Nations
Freud's theory of the personality can be extended from individuals to nations. Freud argued that our personality is shaped by three components - the id, the ego and the superego - two of which are in conflict, with the third mediating between them.

The "Id" is infantile, narcissistic and pursues the Pleasure Principle. It wants self-gratification at every moment and resents anything that stops it getting what it wants. It's the ultimate spoiled, over-indulged child. Its supporters link it to freedom and self-expression. "Do whatever you want," is the id's mantra.

The "Superego" is the ultimate stern parent. It's obsessed with right and wrong, morality, conscience, rulebooks, law and order, discipline, and obeys the Control Principle. Where the id cares only for itself, the superego is preoccupied with others, with group dynamics, with society. Its supporters link it to maturity and consideration for others. "Do as you would be done by," is the superego's mantra.

armageddonconspiracy.co.uk...
In column > The Sick Society

Despite their religious views, a very good site to investigate imo.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lagenese

Hi Langenese,

So would you say that a perverse interest in misfortune is the product of an unbalanced, corrupted mind?

I always considered myself, and by many of my peers to be quite well balanced. but also recognize that we, as humans are inherently dualistic in our make up. i.e. light and dark / north south, male female. Therefore the indulgence of this dark tendency, is necessary to maintain balance. for without which, or neglect of the "darker" side, inherently leaves us out of balance. would you not agree?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

To answer your question, i would have to say yes. Corruption of the mind stems from ignorance of the inner workings of the mind as well as the constant manipulation it's being subjected to, either from visible or invisible realms of reality. If i was to go deeper in the answer, it would become very occult in nature, in other words, if someone was to be told how the mind is being manipulated (on all levels), without preparation in life, that person would go either insane or lose his spirit.

Edit to add: Remember what Morpheus said to Neo in the Matrix?
"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the matrix is"
You need to experience certain things in order to fully understand the extent of the manipulation that is taking place on this planet.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by lagenese]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Every Saturday I turn on the Sci Fi channel to see if they are showing a disaster movie. Does this mean I crave disasters? Not sure why I like to watch disaster movies. I've seen them all hundreds of times.

I've never been in a disaster before. I figured maybe it was so I would have some idea what to do in case I was ever in a disaster. But, maybe I'm fooling myself.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Star and Flag to the OP

If the media and internet were blinked out overnight, people would be forced to concentrate on their own little dramas

Most would probably be a lot more contented, were this the case

Although they'd very probably return to ambulance-chasing

Nice thought though, eh --- for the media/internet to cease to exist ?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Talking from an occult perspective, which I am sure you can appreciate, as mentioned. Surely in order for us to be balance, the darker ide also has to be fulfilled, as well as the light?

As to be all sunshine and sparkles in turn puts people out if balance with the world. and is just as bad, as those that are perpetually negative and dark (although less scary)

So the craving for calamity is in itself a mechanism for this, perhaps.

So maybe it is time we recognize this for what it is, and if the goal in the world is balance harmony and peace, we should all accept this condition for what it is, but seek a more, socially accpetable manner in which to vent our negativity, instead of gloating on the misfortune of others.

Don't worry about getting "too occult" can walk where ever you want to go. I accepted the inner "demons" long ago.

good conversations...., civil too, guess the trolls are sleeping

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It's not the disaster, we crave. It's the drama. It's not because our lives are that boring, but because we don't want the excitement. Better that it's happening to someone else, and we can sit back and watch...

QueenBob

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sodakota

Oooh interesting thought. it has been shown that visualization of doing a certain act increases our chances of achieving the said feat (i.e. sports people visualizing doing what they need to do). Therefore could this not be an extension of that?

continual rehearsal of our ability to be able to deal with crisis like "heroes" subconsciously increases our chances of being able to deal with everyday crisis in real life.

So by extension the disaster movie, by stimulating a part of the brain, and invoking a dream like state, in turn prepares us for the worst, i.e. we have an idea how we are to react. just like the stories of heroes of old. we need something to emulate, so therefore, maybe our obsession with disaster is needed to find the hero of the story so that we can visualize ourselves doing the same thing in that given situation, and thus increasing our chances of survival????

whattd"ya think?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The duality present within the mind is caused by the disconnection to our "source" (also known as the original sin), or if you prefer, our cosmic counterpart . This disconnection forces domination and guidance from the astral plane. Humans must follow an astrological program for the benefit of the soul's experience, until the day the ego realizes how the game of life really works. The ultimate goal for humans is to set themselves free from any kind of manipulation or influence. As long as humans will remain in any kind of belief system, in other words, outside of their own inner knowing, they will remain prisoner of the astral world and of the infernal cycle of incarnation and death.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lagenese

OK I get your need to break free from the mortal coil, and perpetual merry-go-round that is life. But in doing so are you no advocating the inbalance to which you inferred was necessary to cause such obsession in the first place.

If you are saying that the only way to progress, is to counter in the opposite direction, they what would be the result of that? yet more inbalance, leading to further, as yet undisclosed, mental issues.

i can see how you can see this from an astral point of view, however we, at present have to deal with the physical also, and can only ignore this at our spiritual peril. no?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Oh, well, thanks JakiusFogg. You make me feel better!

Since I have never been in a tornado, hurricane, flood, volcano, or earthquake then hopefully I am learning something by watching how people react and help other people during disasters.

There are some points made in the thread that support "rubber necking" as they call it... when you're driving down the highway and see an accident.

A "need" to "see"what's going on.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I think its because people are fed up with the system. Capitalistic policies are too entrenched in todays society that only a major catastrophe especially one that goes world wide is the only way to bring it down. I think people subconsciously know that the policies are wrong and or unfair favouring certain indidviduals at the expense of a majority. But as they cant do anything about it they want nature to do it for them

top topics

<<   2 >>

join