It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Primordial life form found in Pacific Ocean (pic)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8eb35c5b82a7.jpg[/atsimg]

An international scientific expedition has discovered nitrogen-breathing bacteria, which may have descended from one of the earliest life forms on our planet. These deep sea organisms, which first evolved on the Earth nearly 3 billion years ago, have the oldest known DNA.

Source: english.ruvr.ru...

I found the organizations website and this press release (with pic)-More indepth story and info for those who are interested:

Giant microbe find linked to our earliest life-forms:

A VAST 'carpet' of underwater microbes that covers an area as big as Greece has been discovered on the seabed off the west coast of South America.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/31c071fcf9e4.jpg[/atsimg]

The ocean depths are home to an estimated 20million species ofmarinemicrobe. Picture: Reuters

Source: www.independent.ie...

Just simply amazing. So much to learn and explore with so little time. Who knows what they just might find next.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
That is quite amazing! I didn't think that anything like that could still be alive on Earth, even though I know about the extremophiles. They don't seem to be alike in any way. Well you know what they say, the ocean is the last unexplored frontier on Earth left.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

which may have descended from one of the earliest life forms on our planet.

There's another may have. Again, no facts.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeeker8300

These deep sea organisms, which first evolved on the Earth nearly 3 billion years ago, have the oldest known DNA.

I think it was in context with the following line-noted in quotes. I see what you are saying but I think the article ties it all together due to the Age of it etc. Point well taken though.

There are somethings that just can't ever be explained 100% and we have to stick with the best educated guess(es).

top topics

join