It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Link Between the Sun and Earth Quakes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wow Phage, this is all you've got to back up your claims?

First, you use the kp index from 20+ years ago to say that if it doesn't happen all the time for every event in lock step than it must be wrong, then you change to an argument using ion density for one specific event and call my data inaccurate? Out of respect for you, I won't laugh, but come on man, read my original post.... I clearly stated that not all events are related, some quakes occur for other reasons and I also didn't say it was specific to the ion density, solar wind, gravity, magnetism or anything else of that specificity.

What I did put in to the post was an observation of events that shows that at different times, there is a correlation that possibly demonstrates that there could be a transfer of energy in one form or another that is assisting in the seismic activity here on earth based on the events of the sun. There are CMEs that do not point at earth or where the earth never passes through the solar wind, therefore it is accurate to say that not every solar event has seismic effects here. There are also terra events that occur that have nothing to do with activity on that sun, but are related to the OTHER energy movements and seismic events here, so they must also be excluded from the theory. If that came across any other way than what I just stated, than I truly do apologize because that wasn't my intentions. But for you to ignore what I'm showing and not even consider that there are much larger forces at work than just the kp index or the ionic density of the solar wind, I think you should seriously reconsider your position.

I've always liked you and your work here, but I'm not the only one who sees this, I just pointed it out on a much larger scale. 20 years ago, it was 1000 times harder to see any kind of relationship between these two sets of data, but because of how information is available today, you can cast a much wider net and see things in a much different perspective. In a field of study, one rarely looks outside of that field and I have seen this with many colleagues that study microbiology and care nothing about the innards of chemistry, and chemists who care nothing for the innards of physics. Yet, the smartest person I've known was the one who could relate the innards of all three and more, and make sense of it. I'm not implying that I'm smarter than anyone else. This is just the events I've observed and I'm sure I could find more correlations as time goes on and much stronger supporting data and arguments. I've only taken the little time I have outside of a grueling job and family to show what most people already are sensing, which is that maybe, just maybe, there is a reason why the ancients considered the sun their God and perhaps the relationship between it and the earth is a little more complex than two graphs of an interpretation of data.

Rather than try to knock what I'm presenting, you should consider what may be outside of your box.

Much respect and admiration my friend.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

No. I started a thread which backs up my claim that the data does not show a connection between increased Solar activity and increased earthquake activity. A thread which looks at a lot more data than you are looking at.

The reason I posted the solar wind data for the Chile quake is because you specifically mention the solar wind (2/25/10 – SW reports large filament rupture with CME; solar wind arrives 2/27-2/28.) This is why I point out that there was no change in the solar wind when the earthquake occurred. The CME had not arrived.

Twenty years ago was not that long ago, it was not the dark ages. Twenty years ago we were fully capable of observing the Sun and did so. We knew when a CME occurred. Twenty years ago we were fully capable of monitoring geomagnetic activity and did so. We knew when a geomagnetic storm occurred. Twenty years ago we had satellites monitoring space weather. To toss off that ability and to ignore the fact that the greatest solar activity and magnetic storm in over 100 years had no effect on earthquake frequency is disingenuous. Yes, there are CMEs which do not hit Earth, but those that do cause geomagnetic activity. They influence the Kp index. When the products of a CME arrive at Earth we know about it and have known about it for more than 20 years. The great CME of 1989 hit us full force and did not produce any unusual earthquake activity.

You say "This is just the events I've observed and I'm sure I could find more correlations as time goes on and much stronger supporting data and arguments." This is my point, you've looked for the times when earthquake activity follows Solar activity. Yes, it happens sometimes, but as often as not it does not happen. I provided a single example. I used it because it was so extreme. I can provide many more. You say that we can now "cast a wider net" yet you don't use the whole catch. You are like the commercial trawlers which discard the fish they are not targeting and let them go to waste because they don't fetch a good price at the market.

If you consider my "box" to be the available data, you're right. I do have a hard time going beyond it when looking for correlations. But when I do look for correlations I use as much data as I can get my hands on. It's fine to think "The Sun is huge, the Sun is powerful. It must have an influence on earthquakes." No one can say it doesn't. But it's not fine to say "See! It happened here and here." and ignore the times it didn't happen.

While you seem to be looking for a correlation between the Solar wind and earthquakes, some have suggested that maybe there is some unknown factor of Solar activity which influences earthquakes. They may be right, but if they are the correlation must be very deeply hidden. The data, when looked at in toto, does not show any direct connection.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
New information has come to light which opens up new possibilities for this idea and brings life back to this thread/topic...

PHYSORG

There is possible evidence being demonstrated in physics experiments that shows an unseen force having a direct impact on radioactive decay. This may sound small, but considered on a global scale, it paves the way for it to be possible that this same force is related to quake activity.

And as a rebuttal to Phage's comments about my evidence being "anecdotal" just because I don't carry a PhD in writing papers for journals and instead presented a small sample of the data I was able to collect, here is something less than anecdotal (see link at bottom).

You'll find that my methods of analyzing data are not far off from this paper.

This force can be responsible for speeding up radioactive decay rates, in which case, we're talking about tremendous amounts of energy being ACCELERATED! I think that on the scale we'd be looking at, that's enough energy to cause things in the earth to move around or slip?!

More and more evidence and science is coming to light that links the relationship between the earth and the sun's complex interactions and this should add fuel to the debate, which is why I am mentioning it here again. It only takes one piece of evidence to prove that this link exists and there is no proof yet that says it doesn't exist, so until someone has proven there is no link, the evidence still points to there being one.

~Namaste

SOURCE

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I absolutely agree, I was thinking the same thing after paying attention this last two months.. I am glad to see that someone has done this research and give us real data.

thanks a lot and I will keep an eye on this post.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

You'll find that my methods of analyzing data are not far off from this paper.

The paper you linked (like most that attempt to find a connection between earthquakes and solar activity) uses a great deal of statistical manipulation to arrive at its conclusions. I don't see much similarity with your more direct approach;

2/17/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 2/20/09
2/20/09 – USGS – 5.5 – Pakistan

3/3/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 3/3/09.
3/6/09 – USGS – 6.5 – North of Svalbard.

This paper finds a link with the high speed solar wind (not all CMEs produce high speed solar wind, it is associated most closely with coronal holes). There are papers that link solar minimum to increase earthquake activity. There are papers that show an increase in activity which occurs 2 years after solar maximum. There are contradictory and ambiguous papers. Most of them (like this one) have to jump through various elaborate statistical hoops to end up with the conclusion that there is a connection with solar activity and earthquakes. They have to do this because there is no direct correlation to be found.

The "force" you are talking about, the one that apparently has an effect on radioactive decay rates is actually thought to be particles ejected by the Sun. Neutrinos are suspected though how they would affect decay rates is unclear. But the decay rates vary with the distance between the Earth and the Sun and with a 33 day cycle. (Do earthquakes do that?)

This force can be responsible for speeding up radioactive decay rates, in which case, we're talking about tremendous amounts of energy being ACCELERATED!

Actually, whatever it is that is causing the effect, it slows the decay rate. Very, very slightly (0.1%). It is also the topic of much "discussion".
physicsworld.com...

[edit on 8/24/2010 by Phage]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join