It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Link Between the Sun and Earth Quakes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I’d like to start off this thread by saying that it took me quite some time and a lot of observation to see the correlation that I’m about to layout. At first, I wasn’t sure if it was just some anomaly, coincidence or pure luck, but now, I am confident that it is a real connection between the earth and the sun and seismic activity. There is a lot more to the hardcore science, and I realize that I can’t simply explain what it is that is happening, but I can definitely say that there is a connection.

Many people have laughed and tried to say that “their” science was the only science. A lot of armchair scientists who have never taken a real physics class in their lifetime like to speak a lot of things they just simply do not know. The idea that solar flares, coronal mass ejections and solar prominences could create such chaos here on earth destroys many beliefs that people have, but we can no longer argue facts and data. I’m not by any means saying that all seismic activity is related to the sun. This is simply to point out what I have observed.

By watching spaceweather.com for several years, and observing USGS data for a similar period of time, I was able to get a perspective on things that I don’t think too many people were looking for. It just kind of surfaced from being curious about the two and the 2012 phenomenon, thinking it had more to do with patterns of solar and cosmological activity than anything else. It appears through these observations that within approximately 1-3 days of a solar event, seismic activity, greater than in previous days or weeks when no solar events are occurring, are occurring in greater frequency during the period of interaction with the earth’s systems. (gravitational, magnetic, ionic, etc.) If you aren’t looking at the days before AND the days after, you would probably never notice the correlation.

The two pieces of information I’m including relate information that you can find yourself on the spaceweather.com (to be referred to as SW) archives and the USGS site. Keeping in mind that the earth spans multiple time zones means you can be in one day or the other depending on location means that there is a degree or lag in some cases, but the reason is not known. I have not used every seismic event for this correlation, but have used enough of the most prominent ones that were reported to make this case. (some data can be harder to dig up) This took a long time to put together, so please think and do your own research before trying to discredit any of it.

So, without further adieu, I present my evidence that solar activity is connected to seismic activity:

1/2/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on 1/3/09 or 1/4/09.
1/3/09 – USGS - 7.7 – Papua, Indonesia
1/3/09 – USGS – 6.6 – Hindu Kush, Afghanistan
1/4/09 – USGS – 4.3 - Greece

1/5/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind could reach earth on or about 1/8/09.
1/8/09 – USGS – 6.1 – Costa Rica

1/15/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth 1/18/09 or 1/19/09.
1/19/09 – USGS – 6.6 – Southeast of the Loyalty Islands

2/17/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 2/20/09
2/20/09 – USGS – 5.5 – Pakistan

3/3/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 3/3/09.
3/6/09 – USGS – 6.5 – North of Svalbard.

3/15/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to arrive on or about 3/19/09
3/19/09 – USGS – 7.6 – Tonga

4/4/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 4/8/09 or 4/09/09.
4/6/09 – USGS – 6.3 – Central Italy
4/7/09 – USGS – 6.9 – Kuril Islands
4/7/09 – USGS – 5.5 – Central Italy
4/9/09 – USGS – 5.1 – India-Pakistan border

4/15/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 4/16/09 or 4/17/09
4/16/09 – USGS – 6.7 – Sandwich Islands
4/16/09 – USGS – 5.2 – Hindu Kush, Afghanistan
4/16/09 – USGS – 5.1 – Hindu Kush, Afghanistan
4/16/09 – USGS – 6.6 – Kuril Islands

(continued below)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
5/28/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 6/1/09 or 6/2/09
5/28/09 – USGS – 7.3 – Honduras
6/2/09 – USGS – 6.3 – Vanatua

6/20/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 6/25/09 or 6/26/09
6/23/09 – USGS – 6.7 – Papua New Guinea

7/12/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 7/13/09 or 7/14/09
7/15/09 – USGS – 7.8 – Off West Coast of South Island, New Zealand

7/30/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 7/31/09 or 8/1/09.
8/3/09 – USGS – 6.9 – Gulf of California

8/4/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 8/8/09 or 8/9/09.
8/9/09 – USGS – 7.1 – Honshu, Japan
8/10/09 – USGS – 6.6 – Santa Cruz Islands
8/10/09 – USGS – 7.5 – Andaman Islands, India
8/10/09 – USGS – 6.1 – Honshu, Japan

8/15/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 8/17/09 or 8/18/09.
8/16/09 – USGS – 6.7 – Indonesia
8/17/09 – USGS – 6.7 – Ryuku Islands, Japan

8/25/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 8/28/09 or 8/29/09.
8/28/09 – USGS – 6.9 – Bandea Sea
8/30/09 – USGS – 6.6 – Samoa Islands

8/30/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 9/2/09 or 9/3/09.
9/2/09 – USGS – 7.0 – Java, Indonesia

9/10/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 9/12/09 or 9/13/09.
9/12/09 – USGS – 6.3 – Carabobo, Venezuela

9/16/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 9/17/09 or 9/18/09.
9/18/09 – USGS – 5.7 – Mindano, Phillipines
9/18/09 – USGS – 5.7 – Bali, Indonesia

9/28/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind already reached earth on 9/26/09.
9/29/09 – USGS – 8.1 – Samoa Islands
9/30/09 – USGS – 7.5 – Sumatra, Indonesia

9/30/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 10/1/09 or 10/2/09.
10/1/09 – USGS – 6.6 – Sumatra, Indonesia
10/4/09 – USGS – 6.6 – Mindanoa, Phillipines

10/5/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 10/8/09 or 10/9/09.
10/7/09 – USGS – 6.8 – Celebes Sea
10/7/09 – USGS – 7.6 – Vanuatua
10/7/09 – USGS – 7.4 – Vanuatua
10/7/09 – USGS – 7.8 – Santa Cruz Islands
10/8/09 – USGS – 6.7 – Vanuatua
10/8/09 – USGS – 6.6 – Santa Cruz Islands

10/8/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 10/10/09 or 10/11/09.
10/13/09 – USGS – 6.5 –Aleutian Islands, Alaska

10/20/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 10/23/09 or 10/24/09.
10/22/09 – USGS – 6.2 – Hindu Kush, Afghanistan
10/24/09 – USGS – 6.9 – Bandea Sea

11/1/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 11/5/09 or 11/6/09.
11/5/09 – USGS – 5.6 – Taiwan
11/8/09 – USGS – 6.6 – Sumbawa Regio, Indonesia

11/19/09 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 11/20/09 or 11/21/09.
11/24/09 – USGS – 6.7 – Tonga

1/11/10– SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 1/12/10 or 1/13/10.
1/12/10 – USGS – 7.0 – Haiti

2/17/10 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 2/19/10 or 2/20/10.
2/18/10 – USGS – 6.9 – China-Russia Border

2/25/10 – SW reports large filament rupture with CME; solar wind arrives 2/27-2/28.
2/26/10 – USGS – 7.0 – Ryuku Islands, Japan
2/27/10 – USGS – 8.8 – Bio Bio, Chile

3/3/10 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 3/8/10 or 3/9/10.
3/8/10 – USGS – 6.1 – Eastern Turkey

3/10/10 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 3/12/10 or 3/13/10.
3/14/10 – USGS – 6.5 – Honshu, Japan

4/1/10 – SW reports CME; solar wind to reach earth on or about 4/5/10 or 4/6/10.
4/4/10 – USGS – 7.2 – Baja, CA
4/6/10 – USGS – 7.7 – Sumatra, Indonesia

4/10/10 – SW reports sunspot 1060 erupts sending CME to arrive 4/11-4/12.
4/11/10 – USGS – 6.2 – Spain
4/11/10 – USGS – 7.1 – Solomon Islands

This is just the tip of the iceberg and I’m sure that there is more to this than what I’ve dug up. I hope this leads down a path of potentially saving people’s lives, so the more people can see this, the better.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Sources:

www.spaceweather.com

neic.usgs.gov...

[url=http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/epic/epic_global.php]http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/epic/epic_global.php[/ur l]

[edit on 18-4-2010 by SonOfTheLawOfOne]

[edit on 18-4-2010 by SonOfTheLawOfOne]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
S & F to you. I absolutely agree. Did you know that the Sun's energy doesn't strike the Earth universally? Some specific points on the planet get more energy than others at specified times, which drives the weather amongst other things. Seem like Divine pupose and cause? CME and earthquakes absolutely! Everything is connected. Global warming? The ice caps are melting on Mars. If the Earth is heating up don't you think that it is the Sun causing it? You are definately onto something here.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
So far, most of the evidence I have seen points to the opposite conclusion than yours, but what you report is interesting.

I will be very interested to hear the opposing arguement to this.

S&F for the hard work. .

g

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The next one is coming soon.

"A solar wind stream flowing from the indicated coronal hole(s) could reach Earth on or about April 22nd. Credit: SOHO Extreme UV Telescope"

IF we get earthquakes around that time just further solidify this link.

Bulk of evidence points away from OP's conclusion? Please show this evidence thanks

OP is not the only one or the only study to show links between solar activity and earthquakes.

It's not even something I dispute anymore, makes sense to me perfectly.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I notice you take note of earthquakes going down to magnitude 4.3 but most of the earthquakes you list are of 6.0 or greater. For the past 20 years there have been an average of 150 such earthquakes each year, an average of 2.9 each week. With numbers like that it's pretty likely that one will occur in close proximity to a solar event. If I flip two coins, both are going to come up heads pretty often.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Let's look at your hypothesis another way. Instead of a prediction on when the effects of a CME would strike, how about some actual data? The Kp index is a figure which represents global geomagnetic activity produced when a blast of solar wind reaches Earth. On March 9, 1989 there was a huge coronal mass ejection accompanied by a powerful X class x-ray flare. Four days later, on March 13, there was a powerful geomagnetic storm which lasted for two days and peaked with a Kp index of 9! This is an extreme storm level:

Power systems: : widespread voltage control problems and protective system problems can occur, some grid systems may experience complete collapse or blackouts. Transformers may experience damage.

Spacecraft operations: may experience extensive surface charging, problems with orientation, uplink/downlink and tracking satellites.

Other systems: pipeline currents can reach hundreds of amps, HF (high frequency) radio propagation may be impossible in many areas for one to two days, satellite navigation may be degraded for days, low-frequency radio navigation can be out for hours, and aurora has been seen as low as Florida and southern Texas (typically 40° geomagnetic lat.)**.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...
Aurora were witnessed as far south as Texas. The storm burned out the hydro power grid in Québec.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ec7d59553fb.jpg[/atsimg]
Surely such a massive blast from the Sun would have created an increase in earthquakes. Surely there would be massive earth movement as a result. Let's check. In the week starting with March 13 there were 126 earthquakes of magnitude 4.0 and greater recorded. The strongest had a magnitude of 6.0 and occurred on March 17, 4 days after the peak. Impressive. Or is it?

A month before the storm, during the week of February 11, the magnetosphere was relatively calm, showing a peak Kp index of less than 5 on on February 16.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7080649e4e73.jpg[/atsimg]
In this week there were 151 earthquakes of magnitude 4.0+ recorded. The two strongest were a 6.4 on February 14, and a 6.0 on February 16. During the calm period one month before the storm there was more earthquake activity than during and following it.

Let's look at the month after the storm, again quite calm.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f3d96d1e6d33.jpg[/atsimg]
During this week there were 125 earthquakes of 4.0+. There was a 6.2 on April 19 and a 6.5 on April 20.

So what do we have? During and after the most intense geomagnetic storm in over 100 years, there was no increase in either the number of low magnitude earthquakes or higher magnitude earthquakes. If anything it could be said there was less earthquake activity. Interesting.

And then, there is the data presented here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

spidr.ngdc.noaa.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 4/19/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lawlord

Bulk of evidence points away from OP's conclusion? Please show this evidence thanks

Actually, what I said was -

most of the evidence I have seen

and apart from the above Phagism, this thread is not too bad either -

g

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Many people have laughed and tried to say that “their” science was the only science. A lot of armchair scientists who have never taken a real physics class in their lifetime like to speak a lot of things they just simply do not know. The idea that solar flares, coronal mass ejections and solar prominences could create such chaos here on earth destroys many beliefs that people have, but we can no longer argue facts and data. I’m not by any means saying that all seismic activity is related to the sun. This is simply to point out what I have observed.

Although you have shown some correlations.
I don't see how this thread warrants all the boasting about physics classes.
I think at the most, it shows you might be a good comparison shopper.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
I’d like to start off this thread by saying that it took me quite some time and a lot of observation to see the correlation that I’m about to layout. ..................

Why are there people always trying to claim, or imply that they have discovered something when several of us have been pointing this out, and we have been presenting research that shows there is a link between not only the Sun but every astral object that exerts magnetic forces and earthquakes/seismic activity as well as magmatic activities/volcanoes, and even Climate Change?

When you begin a thead such as this one it would go a long way if you actually were a bit more honest and pointed out the many other members who ahve made this connection and shown evidence for it instead of implying that you alone did all the research and you came up with this....

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

and again Phage trying to obscure the facts.

Sorry Phage, but more intelligent than you and REAL scientists have found the correlation more than "just coincidence".... But it is nice to see you once again trying to spread your disinformation campaign about the ongoing increase in seismic, and magmatic events, which despite your claims have been increasing and will continue to increase according to "real scientists"....

Thank you very much for once again trying to spread your bunch of preconceived ideas which are wrong and nothing more than bs....

[edit on 19-4-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
and apart from the above Phagism, this thread is not too bad either -

g

Which is completely wrong, ignores the facts found by real scientists who have been studying this for far longer than Phage obviously has and in the end Phage's claims in that post of his, among others, is nothing more than the wrong conclusion from Phage who hasn't studied this subject at all, and obviously doesn't want to inform himself but who boviously wants to instead spread false information which he concluded by making false assumptions....

[edit on 19-4-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage -

While I respect you and your ideas and thoughts, I think you are missing the point here. I clearly stated that not all activity is related to the sun and that I can't explain the linkage directly because of how complex and intricate the relationship here is. What I am pointing out is what others have not, which is the timing of these events. What is behind the cause and effect, whether it be magnetic, gravitational or anything else, is unclear, but what is clear is the timing behind a lot of these events. I see it as a comparison similar to winding up a spring... that the energy from the sun is winding up the earth's internal energy and then being released, but that is just pure speculation at this juncture.

Your claim of the odds on flipping a coin are not even close statistically to what I've demonstrated here. Most of the time, I would not argue your points. I agree with you on some points, but not others and I don't claim to have all of the answers here, but I have not seen anyone else make this comparison.

There is more to this for certain, but again, I'm not saying all sunspots are related to seismic activity, I'm saying solar events are related on a lot of occassions.

I'm not trying to get attention here, but I do see a way to possibly protect lives if there is some kind of correlation. We don't always know there will be tsunami when a sea quake occurs, and even when we think there might be one, there sometimes isn't. This is akin to what I've presented here.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Thanks for the S&F. I will look at the post you mentioned for more information as I am continuously digging deeper into this.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thanks for the feedback, but I think you are missing the point here.

All of that info and all you pick out is my comment about people who have no science background but speak to it as if they do? My my...

I respect everyone's feedback, but again, please read the OP. I was not trying to insult anyone, just clarifying that I do actually have a REAL science background and have an understanding of REAL physics, not the kind that many like to spew here. While that does not discount someone's ability to give good feedback and positive comments, it usually ends up in a mud-slinging adhominem assualt since they can't bring much else to the discussion. It's like coming to a gun fight armed with a knife.

If I'm just a good comparison shopper, how come nobody else posted such a thread with the same information? I have seen people compare isolated events, but not on the scale I've produced here.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

This was MY research, as I said, because nobody else has presented the same data. I've seen ideas and thoughts thrown around here and other places, and a few other scientific journals that have presented different evidence, but this was intended to show correlation of events, not detailed scientific data. It's the timing that can't be ignored.

I give credit to other people and don't claim to be the only one looking into the connection here, but I have not seen others present it in this way.

I apologize if I came off in an unintended way, but I did spend a good amount of time watching these events and taking notes before I had enough information to present in a coherent manner and have not found others doing the same except with isolated events.

Again, I'm not trying to say that all seismic activity is created by the sun, and I don't doubt that other events are related to the movements of other celestial bodies because I do believe that to also be true. This post was meant to show that just like we have warning systems and prediction models for the weather, which is chaos theory/math, and for tsunamis, which don't always happen as we expect, the same might be able to hold true for the sun and quakes. My intention was that others might be able to add ideas or data that I haven't seen and perhaps stumble on something larger.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I agree with you on this.

I think Phage is looking at this from 5000 feet above ground instead of the 30,000 foot view that others are seeing it from. If you go by raw data, this correlation would simple pass you by.

Phage makes a good point about the averages... they are averages and are abstracted from the underlying data that needs to be viewed in it's original context to see what I'm saying here. If I average a coin flipping along with quakes, changes are they will line up.

CME's don't occur every day. Neither do large quakes. This is why I left out the smaller ones and tried to stick with ones that were more notable. This is also why I said there are other events that effect seismic activity, not just the sun alone. I didn't say it was directly related to the solar wind, nor the KP index, nor the photon density of the solar wind, nor sunspots, nor anything else that precise. I'm showing that when large events occur on the sun, they seem to parallel here on earth. (as in heaven, so shall it be on earth, or as above, so shall it be below... sound familiar?)

I don't claim to be the authoritative source on this, but I don't think anyone else, including Phage, has that right either. I respect his comparison and data, but I do not find it applicable to this.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
great read. S&F!

I'm not the real 2012 beliver, but stil (i am open minded)l. I allready thought there could be a link between the sunwinds. CME's and earthquakes.

Makes me wonder. NASA stated on numerous occasions that they expect 2012 to be a agressive solar maximum. Therefore (without thinking in doomsday/maya terms) that particular year could meen some disasterous quakes will tremble the Earth.

Maybe good to start a thread witch the combination of solar wind/Earthquakes, this could be a good addition on the allready existing thread about the everyday average quakes.

Kind regards,

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ThraexX

The Solar Cycle Prediction Panel is sponsored by NASA but is led by NOAA and consists of an international group of scientists.

In 2007 the next Solar maximum was predicted to occur in late 2011 or mid-2012. It was not predicted to be particularly strong.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

The current prediction is for Solar maximum to occur in May of 2013 and to be of lower than average intensity.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

The prediction seems to be accurate so far.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

You haven't really shown anything statistically. You've ignored earthquakes which occur without solar activity and solar activity which occurs without earthquakes. This makes your study anecdotal, not statistical.

Your data is also faulty. For example:

2/25/10 – SW reports large filament rupture with CME; solar wind arrives 2/27-2/28.
2/26/10 – USGS – 7.0 – Ryuku Islands, Japan
2/27/10 – USGS – 8.8 – Bio Bio, Chile

Rather than relying on a guess from spaceweather.com, you should be looking at the actual data. The products of the CME did not reach Earth until after the earthquakes had occurred, as can be seen by the ion density plot.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b7c8e94a1d90.gif[/atsimg]

Sunspot numbers, and the the Solar Cycle, are directly related to solar events. The number and intensity of CMEs (and the associated geomagnetic activity) increases and decreases with the cycle. There are more solar events at solar maximum than at solar minimum. So, if there is a relationship between CME's and earthquakes, there should at least be and indication of more earthquakes during solar maximum than during solar minimum. There just aren't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join