It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To smart people - questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
edit add
So you guys are saying that the DU is not causing the birth defects & cancer in Serbia or Iraq. It is being used as the fall guy and something else is being used?
--

OK
We use DU (depleted uranium - dirty) weapons in Iraq.
They contaminate everything including the oil
The oil is processed into gasoline
The gas is burned in US cars
Is the EPA avoiding the issue or is there really no extra danger to US?
--

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Doctor G]

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Doctor G]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The funny thing is, just this week, I saw Obama on the news talking about the dangers of Uranium, and of the impact an apple sized chunk of Uranium could do. I can't find a link to that speech online, perhaps someone here can find it?

I could scarcely believe they hypocrisy of that man, considering how almost every round of ammunition fired off in Iraq had uranium in it. But it never occurred to my that Uranium might migrate into the oil and we'd bring it back home. Perhaps I should start investing in companies that specialize in cancer treatment.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I see two points in your questions.

You are anti-war and an environmentalist.

DU is used as projectiles in weapons as it is very effective in what it does, better than brain cell killing lead. If DU is flying around, you can fairly well rest all those environmental regs as they are a mute point at that time.

You need to brush up on radioactivity a little bit with some science classes to understand why it will not contaminate oil or the lack of it's presence in the refining process.

Iraqi oil, for the most part, goes to Asia, specifically China. The EPA has enough to worry about without worrying about China's gasoline supply. Regardless, there would be no radiation from DU in the gasoline supply.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Hinky:
Thanks for the update.
Actually I'm not anti-war, I come from a long line of soldiers (ww2, ww1, both sides of the civil war, revolutionary and back to Germany). My problem comes with how wars are waged and what happens to soldiers & civilians. As for environmentalism, a good steward has to be aware of what is going on but they don't have to be wacky about it.
If the US people are aware of what we are doing over there and are ok with it then who am I to complain. If they are ok with some of our troops coming home and not able to have kids without genetic defects and having medical problems themselves well I do have a problem with that. We take our own water over there because we can't drink the water anymore.
As long as we are sending the contaminated oil somewhere else then those people can worry about it. That's ok.
It's just that with the Monsanto GM corn causing health problems I just didn't want another problem hanging around.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
DU is used because of its extreme density. No armor can withstand its kinetic energy when fired as a projectile.

The radiation of the DU itself is minimal, even if you're eating off a plate made with the stuff. However, if it is burned at a high enough temperature, microscopic particles can come up, risking a respiratory hazard for anyone breathing the radioactive particles. Once the DU particles are into the soil, however, their low level of radioactivity is less than that posed by Radon in the typical American household.

That is not reassuring unto itself, however, since Radon levels are relatively high in many areas, and is the third-leading cause of pulmonary adenocarcinoma in the U.S.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Doctor G

DU is also used as armor for the M1A2 tanks. If one gets struck by rocket, IED, and other hard hitting munitions then some of the DU particles might be inhaled by the tank crew. That is why sometimes they ask us if we were exposed to DU because of the DU shells of some tanks and other munitions.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Deny Ignorance

Well,young person,you have a valid complaint but your focus is in the wrong place.

Do you know who is the greatest violator of state and federal environmental laws and regulations in the U.S.? The Federal government.

National Defense Reserve Fleet

The practice of exporting and dismantling ships has caused international protests as they contain toxic materials.[3] In 2007, following studies that found that 20 tons of lead paint had flaked off the Ghost Fleet in San Francisco, environmentalist groups sued to have them removed. The federal Maritime Administration has agreed to remove more than 50 of the ships as a result, 25 of which will be removed by 2012 and the remainder by 2017.

Most of the military bases closed during the BRAC have not fully been turned over to civilian uses do to environmental concerns from contaminated ground including disposal areas.

The LAST thing you should be concerned with is DU some how coming back to the U.S. in crude oil.

The Federal government is a very poor care taker of our land.

The rape of our national parks,forests and wildlife preserves by greedy corporations with the expressed permission of the Federal government is another good example.

VICTORVILLE — Cemex cement company has agreed to trade a mining contract in Los Angeles County for up to 8,000 acres of federal land near Victorville, which will then be sold to the city. The deal is dependent on legislation introduced to Congress late last week by U.S. Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon, R-Santa Clarita. McKeon’s proposal would cancel two ten-year mining contracts in Soledad Canyon that CEMEX has with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. In exchange, CEMEX would be compensated with land near Victorville equal in value to the company’s investment in the canceled contracts.

What do you know of this company CEMEX that is mentioned in the article?

The worlds largest cement company which is Mexican owned.

Worried about the PTB or the NWO?

Do your homework and do research.

The deal is dependent on legislation introduced to Congress late last week by U.S. Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon, R-Santa Clarita.

Who probably received a "good deal" on a condo in Cabo San Lucas,Baja California,Mexico.

And Congress does not care about those who elected them or the future of our children.

They are ALL corrupt.

Deny Ignorance

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Oneolddude]

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Oneolddude]

top topics

join