It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Obama address NASA LIVE about its future. Mars?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
reply to post by samureyed

He has said the Moon is a singular goal. Wow....

He said it was a singular goal back in the 60s. Compared to how now, we have multiple goals.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
increased earth based observasions
3 billion for heavy lift rocket

[edit on 15-4-2010 by MysterE]

That's what we need for deep space exploration. Not only that but it keeps us in the game.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
SO now he's brough back Orion, to serve as a emergency vehicle?

He needs to make up his mind!

Confused he is!

Just like me about his address!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
He's not going to do it...

He says hopefully we can get there in 30 years but for now we have to develope the technology starting with advanced propulsion

-E-

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
Washington, DC 20500

I know we've been to the moon already so what I say we go back and then onto Mars.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
goal is to have sustained living beyond

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I missed the first few minutes.
Feeding the neighbors Dog. My neighbor is old and she is at Hospital

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I understand we need to go to Mars, yet think about this, if we can't land on the moon and have bases there, how are humans' ever going to survive the trip to Mars?

Answer: their not going to survive!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

How does cancelling constellation keep us in the game?

If you look the moon is first before the far reaches. Obama can dream all he wants.

The moon is first!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
media.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is the conference

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm all about space exploration. All angles and All programs. We simply cannot afford to do it all. Maybe someday again but for now we have this.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

You have a great point, yet can I still be disappointed?

I wanted Mars or a real quick trip to the moon, but we get robots!

Welcome HAL9000!

Wasn't this a great debate of Apollo, robots vs humans?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Nothing really new or even very interesting in this.

We will spend $3 billion to research a heavy lift rocket over the next five years. Then we will start to actually build it. WTF!?
Somone (Obama) should show some leadership and make a descision now on what kind of HLV we will build and use that $3 billion to get to work on building it. Why fiddle around for 5 years just thinking about it. There are plenty of ideas already out there and tons of research already done.

He wants to keep the Orion crew capsule, but reduce it to nothing more than a escape pod for the ISS. WHY!? We don't need that at all. We already have an escape pod, it's called soyuz. He says we don't want to depend on the Russians for this though. I say why not? It's one thing to have to depend on them in order to get us into space, but it's another thing entirely to continue using soyuz as a back up escape pod for ISS. Does anyone really think that if ISS has a catastophic disaster that demands the crew abort the station that the Russians will tell us "NO, you can't use our escape vehicles. We will let you stupid Americans die in this tin can before we let you bum a ride home from us." Of course not. Simply put the one thing Obama has decided to keep from the constellation program will be down graded to the point of being the one thing we don't even need. What a waiste. We should use the money to go ahead and start building that heavy lift vehichle instead.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

It cost less the 3 billion to build the Saturn V, and like 20 of them!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

Well I for one will miss the shuttle.

I lied about being sick to stay home and watch the very first launch live. Yes I'm that old. I made this Shuttle tribute video a few months back.

Enjoy
Turn up the BASS

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 15-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Did anyone else notice the sickening irony in Obama's opening "joke"?

He thanked Buzz and Bolden and said something about how they are the people who are least impressed with Air Force 1... "It doesn't evn go into low Earth orbit." (Then he made a really annoying sleaz ball slick smirk out of one side of his face.)

The irony is that nothing from the USA will go into low Earth orbit after the next few shuttle missions. We're going to be paying the Russians to take us up. And they are charging us more than they would a private citizen. A regular joe like me could get to ISS on a Russian rocket for about $20 million cheaper than somone from NASA.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
So guys he said nothing, except for $3 billion for rocket research.

Richard hoagland will be pissed of.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The only thing I liked from this conference was his commitment to work on proplusion systems that can get us to Mars. Maybe he should hook up with Bob Lazar!

Otherwise, needless to say, I am pretty disappointed

-E-

[edit on 15-4-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Actually he said 6 Billion over all. 3 Billion on the heavy lift ability. I'm all for that. I know with today's present "Fast food and High speed" Internet generation it seems like a long time.

Trust me it's really not.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I watched the first shuttle launch with my dad, I am that old too!

I am absolutely going to miss the shuttle! I do hope the extend the missions a few years if possible.

Such a story and history for spaceflight.
great video btw!

all
the shuttle!

[edit on 15-4-2010 by theability]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join