It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Baby Boom? Foreign 'Birth Tourists' Seek U.S. Citizenship for Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Millions of foreign tourists visit the United States every year, and a growing number return home with a brand new U.S. citizen in tow. Some Central and South American "fishing tours" may really be child sex rings. Thousands of legal immigrants, who do not permanently reside in the United States but give birth here, have given their children the gift of citizenship, which the U.S. grants to anyone born on its soil.

The number of U.S. births to non-resident mothers rose 53 percent between 2000 and 2006, according to the most recent data from the National Center for Health Statistics. Total births rose 5 percent in the same period. Among the foreigners who have given birth here, including international travelers passing through and foreign students studying at U.S. universities, are "birth tourists," women who travel to the United States with the explicit purpose of obtaining citizenship for their child.

Catering to the women is a nascent industry of travel agencies and hotel chains seeking to profit from the business.

Most women stay for two months, Ballantine said, and they make medical arrangements on their own. "Guests arrange and pay for these by themselves," she said of hospital costs that can approach $30,000.

For those with the means to pay, it's a small price to give a child the full benefits of U.S. citizenship, including the ability to travel freely to and from the United States, easy access to a U.S. education and a chance to start a life here.

abcnews.go.com...

I had no idea people did this. It seems to be a backdoor way of getting people legal US citizenship. It's also doesn't look to be cheap. I hope these people have brought their money to pay for their hospital bills. 30,000 dollars is a lot of money. Even if they didn't have the money, they wouldn't be denied medical care. Then they would leave without paying a dime.

I understand why people are doing this...but I don't think I like it.

What do you all think?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It's kinda old news...

There's lots of people doing this from all over the world... South Korea, China, Mexico... ect...

Step one : You get pregnant.
Step two : You go in the US at your 8-9 month.
Step three : Child born in the US = citizen
Step four : Profit!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Wasn't something I was aware of. This would also bring the issue of dual citizen ship. Someone could be born here...live most of their life in another country...come back here...and then run for office even though being US born is really a misnomer.

You'd think the law would require the parents (at least one) to be legal US citizens to allow for this...especially when they high tail it out of the country immediately afterward.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by David9176]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
We need to quickly change the law so it clearly states that you are only a US citizen if your parents are too. You are whatever your parents are, period. We need to crack down on these illegal immigrants from Mexico too, but only if we get rid of NAFTA.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
...almost every country on the planet has similiar citizenship allowances for children born on thier soil.

Why wouldn't these folks go instead to a country where their future child might recieve free healthcare when they are older?

Or a country that has a lower crime rate? A lower murder rate?
or a country that is less likely to enter a war that thier child might one day participate and die in?
Or a country less likely to suffer a terrorist attack?
A country that has less political division?
Less racism and intolerance of foriegnors like themselves?
..etc. etc. WHY did they choose the USA when practically every other nation on the planet also grants citizenship to children born there??

Answer...Because despite all of that we are still the U S of efen A and a beacon to the world.

God bless any woman who is 8 or 9 months pregnant and wants to fly half way around the world (against doctors orders BTW) to deliver her child in a foriegn land...just so they can wear the badge of honor of being an American citizen. If it means that much to her, then as far as I am concerned that child deserves to be a US citizen and I am proud to have them on board.

Sorry, but this article just gave me a burst of patriotic pride.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Both Australia and New Zealand have changed the law so that people born in those country's are not necessary citizens by birth right unless they meet certain conditions . The inflexible Constitutional Republic that is spouse to be so much better then a parliamentary democracy does not allow for such changes to be made so easily * .

Something does need to be done the 14th amendment leaves people born in Wake and Guam in a bit of a spot of bother . Based on my experiences on the boards due to many Americans being so insular they don't understand any of the issues surrounding citizenship in their own country .

* This comment isn't aimed at anyone particular but more of a response to the tied adages about democracy being the tyranny of the masses e.tc

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

There right in that its kind of old news...
but it's not just Latino's

Here in New Mexico down at whitesands missile range there is a small contingent of German Air Force who uses our bombing range for live fire exercises. Yup Armed German fighter planes flying over US soil..

Anyway it was a bunch of years ago there was a story of a Lady German officer, A self proclaimed Lesbian too. who posted a craigslist add seeking an American husband of convenience to both stay here and have at least one child with... made headlines on our TV... Never did hear how that turned out for her?

[edit on 17-4-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Many hospitals have had to close because of non-payment. We have legal citizens who are chained to endless debt because they make like 3.00 over the poverty limit. So they are in debt the rest of their lives while these other people play our system and get away scott free. Our laws desperately need to be changed.

top topics

join