It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JPMorgan CEO not welcome, Syracuse students say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
www.dispatch.com...

Quote from source:

Syracuse University students are petitioning the college to remove JPMorgan Chase Chairman and CEO Jamie Dimon as this year's commencement speaker.

The students are "against using the 2010 commencement to restore the public image of the banking industry," according to the online petition posted by the student group Take Back 2010 Syracuse University Commencement. More than 800 students and alumni have signed.

More than 90 percent of U.S. universities had a bigger demand for student aid for the 2009-10 school year over the previous period, according to a survey by the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators in Washington. Lawmakers have questioned Dimon and Goldman Sachs Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Lloyd Blankfein about their companies' role in the meltdown.

"A lot of members of my graduating class aren't going to be able to afford to graduate because of the industry Mr. Dimon represents," said Amelia Pernell, a senior at Syracuse's Newhouse School of Public Communications and one of the authors of the petition.

Dimon's name was on a list of candidate speakers that was compiled by students, said University Chancellor Nancy Cantor in an open letter. Dimon was chosen as the main speaker for commencement because of his rare, extensive experience with a "major global challenge," she said in the April 9 letter.

While I applaud these students for speaking their mind and not letting on of the biggest criminals on their campus, what it makes me think is that, the students are smart enough but time magazine put this guy on a pedestal?

I think this guy should be put in jail, let alone giving speeches on how he is so successful. We know you are so rich because you have been taking from everyone else. We get it, and the majority of the people hate this about the world.

Good on them, and I am happy to see some people still thinking in the world.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

Edit for speeling.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by predator0187]

join