It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Library of Congress acquires all public Tweets.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Think the government isn't storing every single bit of info they can on all of us?

I just read this multiple places. It seems the Library of Congress has acquired every single public Tweet ever done since 2006.

This is immense for the total number of Tweets. More than 50 million every single day.

Every single thing you post about yourself in public tweets is now in government records.

blogs.loc.gov...

By the way, I could not get this link to open in Firefox. Only in IE.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here is more I just found.

That’s right. Every public tweet, ever, since Twitter’s inception in March 2006, will be archived digitally at the Library of Congress.

That’s a LOT of tweets, by the way: Twitter processes more than 50 million tweets every day, with the total numbering in the billions.

So if you think the Library of Congress is “just books,” think of this: The Library has been collecting materials from the web since it began harvesting congressional and presidential campaign websites in 2000.

Today we hold more than 167 terabytes of web-based information, including legal blogs, websites of candidates for national office, and websites of Members of Congress.

We also operate the National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program www.digitalpreservation.gov, which is pursuing a national strategy to collect, preserve and make available significant digital content, especially information that is created in digital form only, for current and future generations.

Like I said..they are collecting every single bit of information they can on every person in the US.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Let the conspiracies fly! I think it's great that bloggers and web content providers are being provided their "literary repository" for future generations (just like "real" authors and journalists).
At least we at ATS can come to the realization that yes, everything communicated on the internet is being captured, confirm that as fact and move on to other theories or continue to speculate on who, why and how.

gj

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
What an enormous waste of time and money.

There is absolutely no value in this other than being able to pull together isolated, random musings from people that later commit crimes and using their tweets as proof of "intent". Pathetic!

I can see it now....the year is 2090 and little Jimmy says: "Mommy, I need to log in to the library's tweet records to see what Ashton Kutcher was doing this time 80 years ago. Oh look, he was eating a hamburger. OOHHH...and tweeting at the same time! History's great!"

It is yet another sad day for the United States.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
What an enormous waste of time and money.

167 terabytes is just huge. And that's just from the Twitter files so far. Plus..they admit they have been collecting data since 2000 from the internet.

How much space does this total take up? How much will it take up in 5 more years.
Absolutely ridiculous I think.

I agree. A total waste of time and money. Who wants to place bets they are logging every single thing posted n ATS too?

new topics

top topics

join