It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weak Regulation Means Tainted Beef on U.S. Plates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Weak Regulation Means Tainted Beef on U.S. Plates

abcnews.go.com

The government is doing too little to ensure that the beef Americans eat is uncontaminated by "residual veterinary drugs, pesticides and heavy metals," according to an audit by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's inspector general.

Together, FSIS, FDA, and EPA have not established thresholds for many dangerous substances (e.g., copper or dioxin), which has resulted in meat with these substances being distributed in commerce."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.myfoxdc.com
www.usatoday.com

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Also, when high levels are found, nothing is done to recall the meat or to stop it from being shipped in the first place?

How bad is it?

In 08 Mexico rejected some US Beef because the amount of copper in it was too high for their standards. However, there was nothing to stop the meat from being sold here as there was no regulations about copper amounts.

So in this case Mexico actually had higher food standards than we did.

We are really starting to slip here in the US on food safety.

The full audit is available at the USA Today link above if you want to read that..

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Frogs]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Disgusting, but something I've been aware of for quite a while. Food, Inc turned me on to finding out more about where our food comes from and what's in it, and it's unbelievable.

I challenge everyone to ask their butcher where the meat they sell comes from and what kind of feed it was given. Watch their reaction -- a sickening mix of "F off", "WTF" and "Who Cares". It's your RIGHT to know...most butchers don't even care to find out.

The best bet is to find a local farmer that raises grass fed beef. Grass diet reduces the chances of salmonella dramatically. Next best is non-GMO grain supplementing grass feeding. Worst is GMO-fed, feedlot (no grass) beef. Ask if they use Roundup Ready feed, that's the GMO junk.

Go see the farm. If they let you take a look around and ask questions, that's a good sign. If they're proud to tell you about how they raise their animals, that's super. Buy at the farm, or at most, farmers market.

USDA won't do a thing about production safeguards or quality as food is our largest remaining cash export. Guess that's the one thing the baby boomers couldn't figure out how to cash out to China!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Good points - and obviously local and a source you know is the best way to go if at all possible.

I'll admit - the article took me by surprise this morning. I had no idea they didn't check for metals, antibiotics, pesticides, etc in the meat - or if they do check there are no standards for it.

Here in the country - I do know a few farmers and I'm guessing they would sell me beef on the hoof though I'd have to find where to get it processed. But, ye gads - city dwellers, poor, etc would seem to have little choice but to eat the junk.

top topics

join