It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the U.S. Army Losing Its War on Suicide?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

From the invasion of Afghanistan until last summer, the U.S. military had lost 761 soldiers in combat there. But a higher number in the service — 817 — had taken their own lives over the same period. The surge in suicides, which have risen five years in a row, has become a vexing problem for which the Army's highest levels of command have yet to find a solution despite deploying hundreds of mental-health experts and investing millions of dollars. And the elephant in the room in much of the formal discussion of the problem is the burden of repeated tours of combat duty on a soldier's battered psyche.

Read more: www.time.com...

This is kinda funny, the military is doing the dirty work for tptb and then coming home and killing theirself. Furthering the agenda of tptb, less "useless eaters" and benefits now don't have to be paid. This is a win win for tptb.

And after seeing the videos of the military killing civilians, does anybody really care when they commit suicide?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
well it would seem to me that the soldiers are not
dumb. They know what is going on and why
they are really there and it ain't terrorism.
And some just can't handle being an
accomplice to atrocities committed
for a corporate agenda. They are left with
little choices. The US Military has taken on
a roll of mercenary rather than a defender
of freedom. And if the Generals can't see
this, then they are not as smart as i thought.

S&F

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
These dumb republican conservatives that cheered for war really had no idea how bad war is, I guess..

Then again, their beloved leaders -- the Bush Administration -- told them it would be over in a matter of months, and that the oil would pay for the war, and that saddam was knocking on the gate with his threatening army and mastery of nuclear technology and biological warfare, etc, etc.

That John Kerry guy was a big critic of the war.. he even voted against it after voting for it. But that made him a flip flopper. You see, when you make a mistake, according to the republican conservatives, the best thing to do is dig your heels in and keep on making that mistake harder and faster than you ever did before.

Thanks, republican conservatives. You really ruined this country in the name of "saving the country."

Also, thanks for voting in tax cuts for the rich, so we didn't have enough money to pay for the war or even give our soldiers the proper equipment -- like body armor, to fight with. That was another brilliant republican conservative move. "Support the troops," indeed.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Explanation: This issue was already covered by this recent [less than 6months old] Thread!

US Military Suicides Out Number Soldiers Killed By Enemy Fire For 2009

Personal Disclosure: Please do some research and use both the ATS and Google search functions before your post OK! Thanks

Edited emoticon fail

[edit on 13-4-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Personal Disclosure: Please do some research and use both the ATS and Google search functions before your post OK! Thanks

Thanks for the information but this article was posted today and not 6 months ago, back then it was 354 suicides now it up to 817, big difference, more than doubled.

And now in light of the fact that it has been proven that the military is killing civilians maybe we are learning more as to why the suicide rate is so high.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
1/6 soldiers are on anti-depressants.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by warisover

This is kinda funny,

No...It's not.

And the fact that you think it is disgusts me.

Originally posted by warisover

And after seeing the videos of the military killing civilians, does anybody really care when they commit suicide?

Yes. Very much so.

What an ugly thread.

These soldiers are victims of war as much as the civilians that died, the terrorist foot-soldiers and the national forces we have combated.

No one survives a war without wounds either physical or emotional and war can only be stopped when we start showing a little understanding and brotherhood for everyone invlolved.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Well, this thread didn't get much attention just as I thought. It's a touchy subject talking about soldier suicide. Now that we know the war on terror is fake and Iraq had nothing to do with anything, maybe most people don't care if the soldiers commit suicide and are too afraid to post it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Maybereal11-- Thank you for standing up to that ridiculous comment from WarIsOver. Yes, people do care about others who commit suicide, regardless of their service.
I'm an OEF vet. I worked 12 hours 7 days a week in a small, stinky plywood hospital. 95% of my patients were local nationals, Afghans who didn't have anything to do with the "war". They were in our hospital because they were tending poppy fields when they stepped on a left over Soviet mine and blew off their limbs. I feel guilty for feeling relief that they were lighter to move because they had no limbs. Or they were there because their kerosene lamp exploded and burned them all over. I took care of them until they died, then I helped tie their hands and feet together with our translators (traditional Muslim death thing I don't know too much about).
If any of you had heard the screams and cries to Allah like I have, you would want to shoot off your head, too. Thankfully, I have a responsible veteran husband who took me seriously and got me emergency care at the VA. Now I don't have the suicidal urges, but the memories still reside. The VA is getting better at beefing up mental health programs. The Rocky Mountain VA system has awesome help for vets, and an expanding female vet support system. I understand why vets/soldiers commit suicide. And people DO give a damn about this.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by halienkennedy

Sorry, but as you can see from the response to this thread, NOBODY CARES!!!

new topics

top topics

join