It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New material is a breakthrough in magnetism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Physorg

Quote from source:

Researchers from Imperial College London have created a structure that acts like a single pole of a magnet, a feat that has evaded scientists for decades. The researchers say their new Nature Physics study takes them a step closer to isolating a 'magnetic monopole.'

Magnets have two magnetic poles, north and south. ‘Like’ poles, such as north and north, repel one another and ‘opposite’ poles, such as north and south, attract. Whichever way a magnet is cut, it will always have these two poles.
Scientists have theorised for many years that it must be possible to isolate a ‘magnetic monopole’, either north or south on its own, but until recently researchers have been unable to show this in experiments.

Researchers at Imperial have now enabled tiny nano-sized magnets to behave like magnetic monopoles, by arranging them in a honeycomb structure. In late 2009, various teams of scientists reported they had created monopole-like behaviour in a material called ‘spin ice’. In these materials, monopoles form only at extremely low temperatures of -270 degrees Celsius. The Imperial researchers’ structure contains magnetic monopoles at room temperature.

This will a huge breakthrough because until now we have been unable to produce or work with monopoles. This should change our thought of magnetism and help to rewrite parts of our physics books.

I am happy to see that this has finally been done because I know we have been working on this for many, many years. This will also help us understand the model of the big bang better, maybe perhaps disprove it, because of the workings of the monopole.

Interesting stuff!!

Any thoughts?

Pred...

[edit on 12-4-2010 by predator0187]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is just what i need for my new wing suit!

Awesome, hopefully i can purchase it soon! then we can all fly around by taking off at running speed; just like Jackie Chan!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Good catch pred

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems as if "monopoles" have been getting some well deserved attention recently.

I caught Sci Fi Science with Michio Kaku last week talking about monopoles, and the next day I was reading Scientific American, and they had a several page long article on them; quite intriguing.

Unfortunately I have a feeling the military will soon be involved, and we wont be hearing about them anymore, but I hope I'm wrong...

[edit on 12-4-2010 by ZombieJesus]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This could lead to true working magnetic motors. Free energy may not be a red herring afterall! Over-unity motors though from this tech will probably be burried so the fat cats can keep us energy addicted and them rich. *sigh*

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Good point, I would imagine that a monopole driven "V" motor would eliminate the required "bump" every revolution, when the opposite pole catches, and stops the gear.

Hopefully, along with super conductors, we will one day overcome the incredibly low temperatures required to operate these unique materials, and put them to good use, but Im not holding my breath.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

The Imperial researchers’ structure contains magnetic monopoles at room temperature.

Yes, I believe this is what we've been waiting for.

To have a mechanism in which only attraction or repulsion is present, is the key to perpetual motion, and a whole plethora of technologies that would do nothing but torment monetary policy in all its negative greatness.

Of course, the more impacting part of this story is 'nano-tech', IMHO. I believe a whole new era is upon us, in many more ways than one.

WAY OUT THERE: Even cybernetic organisms become possible (i.e. the meld of biology and technology).

I was certainly born about 40 years early...when it comes to this stuff anyway. :/

[edit on 12-4-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Nice article predator0187,

But wow... this article goes to show how far behind mainstream science really is.

I've been studying the largest monopole magnets known to mankind for decades.

Faults under abnormal pressure are the largest monopole magnets that I'm aware of, and they are completely "Negative" in Nature when measured from the Earths surface and can be hundreds of miles long.

Every fault out there that has abnormal pressure exerted upon it is "negative" along its entire length when measured at the Earths surface. There is "NO" positive along its length.

So... these boys are a few decades behind in their study of monopoles.

There is far more to learn from a monopole that is 10s of miles to hundreds of miles long compared to one only microns in length.

For instance, when a monopole magnet is encased in a medium, then its first nodal point, ring or shell delineates the depth of the monopole in the medium. In the case of earthquakes, or faults under abnormal strain or pressure, the medium is the Earth itself.

Because faults are so large many, many more things are discovered about magnetics than what is going to be discovered in some lab under a microscope.

On the other hand monopoles can be "negative" and "positive" when created on the Earths surface. For instance monopole magnetics are "Positive" when pressure is applied to quartz and granitic material on the Earths surface. Likewise, monopole magnetics are "Negative" when pressure is applied to limestone material on the Earths surface. Usually there is only a spot of either positive or negative at the Earths surface because usually something is only causing pressure in one spot; like an animal or a car or pick-up. But when the object becomes elongated, there is no spot, but a bar magnet with only one pole of magnetism being produced.

Watch my old videos for further explanation, I have 22 of them on YouTube so far; more will exist in the future.

www.youtube.com...

join