It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Croatian girl switches to speaking in German after waking from coma

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Croatian girl switches to speaking in German after waking from coma

www.mirror.co.uk

A teenager went into a coma and awoke speaking another language.

The case of Sandra Ralic, 13, has doctors baffled.

She spoke Croatian before the sudden coma and fluent German after.

Her parents say she had only just started studying German at her school in Knin, southern Croatia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk
www.croatian times.com

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
G'day ATS!

If any weird story that I've heard in the last few days belongs on ATS, then this is it!

How the heck could this happen?

There are a few possible explanations as I see it:

1) HOAX
2) Past life
3) Her sub-concious has learned how to speak German

This is very cool, I can understand 'forgetting' her own language after a coma, but learning a new one, that blows my mind!

Hope you find this interesting ATS!

All the best, Kiwi

www.mirror.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I know I will get reamed for this but, speaking in tongues?

Speaking in tongues is not just rolling on the floor spouting gibberish (really it's not), speaking in tongues by definition is the immediate ability to understand and speak another land's language fluently with no previous education of said language. She had some, but they said she only just started. When you just start all you really know is good, bad, hello, goodbye, get me some coffee and a few curse words.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If this is true, not saying it is, maybe her frequency changed, like how when you get a transplant you often get anothers memories.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think its past life - It can happen in early years that past life personality takes over the new one. Usually what I have learned, past life experiments are most strong with childrens whos strange behaviours have been studied.

There was some great documentary about this, made just few years ago in Spain. Issue is interesting, and myself I believe to inkarnation without a doubt.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Looks like she has to move to Germany now

I am thinking this is a hoax as in no way someone can learn a different language. But comas are mysteries as well so who knows.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Have you heard that people who get transplants get memories and skills of people they get the organ off.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Were does it say in the article she got an organ transplant?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Shizer

2nd line

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
you guys are not thinking logical

they say she just begun studying german at school
so what happened was her brain after the stroke was rewired or changed in some manner that restructured and accelerated her language center of her brain therefor she is now able to speak fluently after the trauma.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wow!

Just think if they could reproduce that effect without a coma. Learn to speak a new language instantly!

Good-bye Rosetta Stone Haha!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Sounds like a walk-in.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull

Were does it say in the article she got an organ transplant?

I never said that, i meant maybe her frequency changed somehow. We all have our own frequency and thats how we access our own memories. I was saying maybe her frequency changed slightly and maybe she is picking up on someone elses, if you get me.

Who knows how the coma affects people.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by togetherwestand

How can the brain rewire it's self when it has no new information to take in. It said "started" So you are telling me the brain magically retained information she never learned in the first place. The article said she was fluent in german.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

What do you mean we all have our own individual frequency? Any article or links that offer proof of that?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

How can the brain rewire it's self when it has no new information to take in. It said "started" So you are telling me the brain magically retained information she never learned in the first place. The article said she was fluent in german.

I am saying that during the coma her brain was processing all the information she already took in and therefor she was able to speak fluently after that.

traumatic events to the brain can really accelerate certain things.like many savants who got their abilities from traumatic events in their lifes.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

It is actually a well documented fact that after severe head trauma, coma, stroke, etc., that some people will change their accent. For instance, one could be an American, and have a stroke, coma, head trauma, etc. and when they wake from said ailment, they are speaking in a German, or British, or Irish, etc. accent.

en.wikipedia.org...

Foreign accent syndrome is a rare medical condition involving speech production that usually occurs as a side effect of severe brain injury, such as a stroke or a head injury, though two cases have been reported of individuals as a development problem.[1] Between 1941 and 2009, there have been sixty recorded cases.[1] Its symptoms result from distorted articulatory planning and coordination processes.

If this is possible, who's to say that it couldn't go as far as picking up a new language overnight? Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. And obviously, if this story is legit, then that is really something, isn't it? It could be the first documented case of something, and it will take a very open minded neurologist to figure out how this happened, and how the brain taught itself to speak in German practically overnight. Just because you don't believe it to be true, doesn't make it false. We will have to wait and see what comes of this case.

Here is a case where a high functioning Autistic Savant learned Icelandic in a WEEK. This was documented on several news outlets. If you don't know, Icelandic is the hardest language in the world to learn, and he was having fluent conversations with people who spoke Icelandic only a week after starting to study it.

en.wikipedia.org...

Once again, if this is possible, who are you to say that it is impossible for someone in a coma to have their brain re-wire itself and pick up German? I think we should be more open to the possibilities, because it might help us understand better how our brains work.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The mysteries of the human mind never cease to amaze me. Could it be that this girl sub-conciously took note of the little german she had learned or experienced in textbooks or other situations, and simply "snapped" over to German? How little does the human mind require to subconciously learn another language? There are so many questions I have to ask here. Does this girl still think in Croatian? How about her writing, Croatian or German? How long was the coma? Was the coma caused by some German thing, like a German Flagpole falling on her head? Alright, that last question wasn't serious, but the others were. This is very interesting, but the article is too short and doesn't give enough information. I will hope for updates to this, but I don't hold my breath.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
I know I will get reamed for this but, speaking in tongues?

Speaking in tongues is not just rolling on the floor spouting gibberish (really it's not), speaking in tongues by definition is the immediate ability to understand and speak another land's language fluently with no previous education of said language.

Depends on the religion it seems. I have a woman here and in her church they study aramaic and spout it out in church. To me that isn't speaking in tongues but she and her kind believe it is.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
wish i could do that i'd get a mint job at being a translator

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join