It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daredevil to Plunge From Outer Space in Supersonic Suit

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I'm not taking anything away from the jumper or his intended new record. But free-falling from the vacuum of space into the atmosphere has been done before.

Just going 20,000 feet higher into the exosphere isn't really that much more of an accomplishment - unless there is something especially unique about this that I am missing.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Maxmars]

The new aspect of it, unless I am mistaken, is that he would be the first human to break the sound barrier without a vehicle. Which is more impressive than just topping the old record by a few miles.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CalebRight14

I'm not taking anything away from the jumper or his intended new record. But free-falling from the vacuum of space into the atmosphere has been done before.

Just going 20,000 feet higher into the exosphere isn't really that much more of an accomplishment - unless there is something especially unique about this that I am missing.

The new aspect of it, unless I am mistaken, is that he would be the first human to break the sound barrier without a vehicle. Which is more impressive than just topping the old record by a few miles.

There is no big difference between a pretty massive suite and a vehicle.

This said, it seem very risky for either untested vehicle or a suit. An object can easily lose stability at supersonic speed unless specifically designed and tested. Once he loses control, all bets are off.

edit on 10-10-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

This said, it seem very risky for either untested vehicle or a suit. An object can easily lose stability at supersonic speed unless specifically designed and tested. Once he loses control, all bets are off.

Umm no, have you even tried to ride a bike? There is a HUGE difference doing 80 on a bike or in a car, you feel much safer in a car, try it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Umm no, have you even tried to ride a bike? There is a HUGE difference doing 80 on a bike or in a car, you feel much safer in a car, try it.

Why of course I have. In the end, it won't matter. Ask the Columbia shuttle crew.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A lot of you seem to be missing the point.

www.redbullstratos.com...

SCIENTIFIC CONTRIBUTION FOCUS Red Bull Stratos aims to provide information that will further the progression of aerospace safety. The key benefits for the science community are as follows: - To aid development of a new generation of space suits - including enhanced mobility and visual clarity - and other systems to lead toward passenger/crew exit from space. - To aid development of protocols for exposure to high altitude/high acceleration. - To aid exploration of the effects on the human body of supersonic acceleration and deceleration, including development of the latest innovations in parachute systems. POTENTIAL BENCHMARKS - Reaching supersonic speed in freefall:First person to achieve the speed of sound (Mach 1) in freefall without mechanical assistance. Speed estimated to be about 690 miles per hour at point of breaking sound barrier; acceleration could continue to more than Mach 1.1 (previous record: 614 miles per hour, Mach 0.9). - Freefall from highest altitude:Expected jump from approximately 120,000 feet (previous record: 102,800 feet). - Longest freefall time:Expected freefall duration of about 5 minutes, 35 seconds (previous record: 4 minutes, 36 seconds). - Highest manned balloon flight:Expected float altitude of approximately 120,000 feet (previous record: 113,740 feet). All figures approximate based on anticipated conditions and projected factors.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Is anyone else watching this??
www.redbullstratos.com...
I'm not sure it isn't a hoax....
I'm not sure it IS, but, it seems crazy to me!

edit on 14-10-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
WOW. Just bumping this OP; this kid pulled this off.

Wildtimes actually had a mild stroke and heart-seizure, but is revived now.

Thanks to the chat lobby for sharing that incredible feat. OL:
Is THAT a fnord?

If my son is reading this, ever: YOU ARE GROUNDED PERMANENTLY AND INTO PERPETUITY. THAT IS, FOR EVER, IF YOU TRY THIS!!!

Oh my heavens that was traumatic.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Just one more bump.
I'm still freaked out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join