It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Christians to help me answer!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Ok, in the bible it says somewhere when Jesus comes down, he will let us see him in his glory, and we can either accept him or not? This is true right?

Also another one, what is the difference between Catholics, Born Again Christians(Latter-Day Saints), Gnosticism, and Anglican, and United. What are the differences between them all? Any information would be helpful, thank you. Also for the people answering if you can please not bash any sort of differences, just answer with an open mind an attitude. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Also another one, what is the difference between Catholics, Born Again Christians(Latter-Day Saints), Gnosticism, and Anglican, and United.

Latter-Day Saints are actually Mormon, which are different than Evangelical Christians, who often say they have been born again.

I'm not sure who the United are you refer to, but as to the others...

Catholics are part of the Catholic Church, which is actually the evolution of the original church planted in Rome by both Paul and Peter. In the first and second centuries, there were many Gnostics as well as other philosophies that were trying to ride Christianity to popularity. To do this, many would attribute names to their letters that were known in Christian circles, such as Paul. Paul even makes a point in one of his epistles to point out that he is not an impostor, and that the folks at the church would recognize his handwriting.

As a result of this, early church leaders established a leadership hierarchy, with bishops at the head of each church, as well as the bishop of Rome being the head bishop. This was originally in response to these other philosophies trying to corrupt Christianity.

This entity eventually became the Catholic church. It is a church steeped in tradition with a hierarchical rule, culminating with the Pope.

It was this organization becoming political rather than Christ centered which brought about the Lutheran and, from that, most denominations of Christianity. At the time of Martin Luther, the church was in dire need of money. To resolve this issue, the Catholic church started to sell Indulgences. This was where a person could actually pay for forgiveness for a sin. This outraged many, since no longer was Christ the forgiver of sins, but the Catholic Church was. This caused a rupture in the church akin to what is described in the Bible with the tower of Babel. Man decided to dictate the path to God, and God, like in the story of Babel, split the church into many denominations.

Today, many of those denominations are starting to realize that Christ is the center of all of them, and they are coming together. This is in line with Christ's prayer in John 17 -- that we might be one with one another as Christ is one with His Father.

Gnosticism, on the other hand, believes and preaches "secret" truths. They started to corrupt Christianity by stating that the spiritually enlightened were visited by Christ after His resurrection and were given secret information. Gnosticism, originally, basically taught that, matter being evil, God the Creator was also evil, and so they developed a pantheon of spirits emanating from Him, with God Creator being the lowest who mistakenly created the universe.

This was responded quite well to by Irenaeus, who was the bishop of Lyons. He argued that "the idea of one almighty, good Creator-God was so basic to the worldview of the scriptures and apostles that to turn it inside-out, with a panoply of gods and an evil creator, was not to reveal the deeper mysteries of the faith but to invent a whole new one. " (A Short History of Christianity, Stephen Tompkins)

Mormons believe in the book of Mormon as being the third Testament (you've heard of the Old and New Testaments) to the Bible, and the one that trumps all other things written. This was written by Joseph Smith and published in 1830. This book claims precedent, over all others ever written, and is encouraged to be the filter through which all other scripture is read. A difference between Evangelical Christians, who typically believe all of scripture is a filter unto itself, and that if any new prophecy (information directly from God) contradicts the whole of scripture, either specifically or in spirit, that prophecy is inaccurate.

As to the Anglican church, it was generally begun because Henry VIII wanted a divorce without his wife having committed adultery. This was the first split (I believe) from the Catholic Church and, instead of placing the Pope as the direct conduit to God, it placed the King of England there.

That's a very brief (believe it or not) summary of the differences between them. If you want to elaborate on what you mean by United, I may have even more to write

As to the first part of your question, I'm not sure where that is in scripture... Do you have a book, chapter and verse handy?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the Info seriously it has helped. I am not sure were in the bible, I have just heard people preaching when Jesus comes at the end times, he will ask us to either believe he is the son of god or we will go to hell. Something like that. Also by united I am not sure how more clearly I can get sorry. The churches around here are just called United Church?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Ahh, then it looks like the United Church of Christ is a protestant church (meaning Bible-based non-Catholic, typically) denomination. I don't know a lot about them, other than some doctrines they have based on a little research. As to doctrine, it typically is simply a way of interpreting scripture. In the case of the United Church, it appears they believe in a modern interpretation of Calvinism, which is most famous for its belief in predestination, though that's only an aspect of the doctrine.

Regarding the choice thing, I've heard that preached, too, but not with a strong scriptural backing. I mean, let's face it... You see Jesus when you die and He says, "Hey, do you believe in me?" Uh... Yeah? Kind of a "duh" question.

The Bible seems to indicate that it is a relationship with Jesus Christ that sort of embraces His sacrifice for our sin. The Bible says it is by grace through faith that we are saved, that no man should boast (Ephesians 2:9), but at the same time Christ pointed out that we need to be in relationship with Him to enter Heaven.

Essentially, what He has done, according to scripture, is to redeem fallen humanity (Genesis) to God by being the sacrifice sin required on our behalf (John). There will be a time that every knee will bow to Him (Revelation), but at that point, it's no longer a choice to follow Him or not -- it's merely recognition that His is the King of Kings. It is now, as long as it is called today, to quote the Bible, that we can make that choice to follow God and thereby Christ, trust that He has paid the price, and continue to seek Him.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
OP God made a Church. Only one.

There has to be a body or authority to interpret scripture or esle confusion and denominations would be divided.

you search OP and God will show you by scripture and history what the true Church is.

Keep studying.

peace.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Ok, in the bible it says somewhere when Jesus comes down, he will let us see him in his glory, and we can either accept him or not? This is true right?

No

Also another one, what is the difference between Catholics, Born Again Christians(Latter-Day Saints), Gnosticism, and Anglican, and United. What are the differences between them all? Any information would be helpful, thank you. Also for the people answering if you can please not bash any sort of differences, just answer with an open mind an attitude. Thank you.

Catholics believe that they have to go through their church to be saved which is wrong. Jesus saves us and no else can do that.

Latter day saints aren't born again Christians because they don't believe that Jesus is God. They are a cult.

Gnosticism denies the incarnation of God as the Son.

Traditional Anglicans believe The Dominical Sacraments—Baptism and Holy Communion—are needed for salvation and life. That's that not true.

Not sure what you mean by United.

All anyone needs is Jesus and not organized religion or false religions.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I know it is in the bible somewhere. It is when he comes down after the apocalypse, and with all his glory, we either accept he is the savoir or not. If we don’t we are to burn eternally in hell.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I know it is in the bible somewhere. It is when he comes down after the apocalypse, and with all his glory, we either accept he is the savoir or not. If we don’t we are to burn eternally in hell.

I don't know any source for that particular way of putting it, but if you look at the end of Matthew ch 25 you will find the very interesting "Parable of the Sheep and the Goats".

The implication of that story is that people have already made the relevant decision in their lifetimes. However, I'm always struck by the fact that many of the "sheep" are agreeably surprised to find themselves on the right side of the fence. Perhaps this warns us against trying to assess where other people stand in God's eyes.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
7 Look! He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, and those who pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in grief because of him. Yes, Amen.
Rev 1:7

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
24 “But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, 25 and the stars will be falling out of heaven, and the powers that are in the heavens will be shaken.

26 And then they will see the Son of man coming in clouds with great power and glory. 27 And then he will send forth the angels and will gather his chosen ones together from the four winds, from earth’s extremity to heaven’s extremity.
(Mark 13:24-27)

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
30 And then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in lamentation, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send forth his angels with a great trumpet sound, and they will gather his chosen ones . . .
(Matthew 24:30-31)

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
"Ok, in the bible it says somewhere when Jesus comes down, he will let us see him in his glory, and we can either accept him or not? This is true right? "

Only in Revelation does it say every eye will see him...
Revelation being a book of parables and illustrations, could be infering that every eye will see him, in that we will see the effects of his coming to judge the earth.
It could mean in fact that we will see the prophecies fullfilled, and since this word of his Fathers Kingdom has been preached in all the earth (Matthew 24:14 And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.) Everyone (nearly) will have had the opportunity to hear and know what the signs of Christs presence would be.

But God is still a loving God, if you have not had the opportunity to hear about his promissed kingdom, or if you made poor choices in your life, or for undeterminable reasons a person should chose to ignore God's promises and requests...there is still the resurection to judgment....(John 5:29)
And there are different veiws on that..(Rom 6:7) the one I see is that means a second chance... But that's entirely different thread.

JUST....
Don't wait until the last day to pick a side...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm going to agree with JungleJake's assessment, for the most part, except that I don't think the Gnostics claim evil, but simply reject the idea of Jesus being the son of God. They also accept the other books left out of the official Christian Bible, and see God as more feminine than masculine.

Some churches with United or Unitarian in their names are more of "Christianity Light"...made to be more palatable to the modern age with a blend of self-help and Christian stories, and getting away from the dogma and ritual of the past. They also tend to be more accepting of those not liked by the more traditional church also (such as gays, etc.).

new topics

top topics

join