It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Iran Agenda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The Iran Agenda:

Back sometime ago I had posted a Thread about how the USA had supplied the first Iranian Nuclear Reactor in 1960's.

I was trying to raise awareness that Iran's Nuclear Program was US funded, and that any issues resulting from that, bear responsibility on the USA shoulders.

Thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is the List of Reactors and confirms what I have stated here:
en.wikipedia.org...

After more studying of this situation I find that there is a trail of USA giving out nuclear fuel.....

How the U.S. spread bomb-grade fuel worldwide; and failed to get it back.

www.chicagotribune.com...

The United States established Iran's first research reactor in 1967 at Tehran University. In November of that year, the U.S. corporation United Nuclear provided Iran with 5.85kg of 93 percent enriched uranium

US Tells Iran to become Nuclear Power
www.fpif.org...

How can these suggestive articles of news, be avoided, there has been a nuclear presence in Iran for decades!

It seems that no one looks at history anymore and asks questions, why is this?
There is so much *snip* that goes with this "War on Terrorism", and the trail seems to lead back home.....

...will this be allowed to happen again?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It resonates with similarities of the US supplying afghanistan with weapons to fight against Russia, and years later look where we are. This is an interesting post, I will definately be looking into the matter further. Thanks for the articles also.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DTigerW

It resonates with similarities of the US supplying afghanistan with weapons to fight against Russia, and years later look where we are. This is an interesting post, I will definately be looking into the matter further. Thanks for the articles also.

There are to many connections, you agree? Great reply!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
After the US–UK sponsored coup against Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadeq in August 1953 the Shah of Iran Mohammad Reza Pahlavi became an important ally of the US. The Shah had personal interests in seeing Iran develop its nuclear capabilities, but it was his cordial relationship with the US which paved the way to develop the program. The US offered nuclear research facilities as a part of the Atoms for Peace program to is cold war allies (Iran being one of them), in exchange, they were not to develop nuclear weapons.

In 1957 Iran and the US signed a nuclear cooperation agreement. In 1967 a basic five-megawatt light-water research reactor was built. The following year Iran signed the NPT, which it ratified in 1970. By 1974, Iran came under full-scope safeguards agreement with the IAEA according to which it complied to accepting IAEA inspections on all sources of fissionable materials in all peaceful nuclear activities within the country. There were plans to generate 23 000 MW of nuclear energy within the next 20 years and to acquire facilities to enrich uranium, etc, for civil fuel purposes. Agreements were made with Germany, France, and the US, and 22 reactors for generating 23 000 MW of electrical power was built. The Western allies had helped Iran in developing a comprehensive nuclear program with the understanding that Iran will never have the ambition to acquire nuclear weapons.

But from 1975 onwards, the US became suspicious of Iran’s massive nuclear program which could have dual purpose. Tehran had acquired nuclear fuel cycle capabilities with both civilian and military applications. By the late 1970s, but still during the Shah’s rule, the US received intelligence information indicating that the Shah had set up a clandestine nuclear weapons development program. The relationships between the Shah and the US began to falter. The Ford and Carter administrations took stern actions against Irans nuclear program. The US managed to persuade France and Germany not to assist Iran in its reprocessing and enrichment activities. Irans nuclear program had simply become comprehensive enough that it could be used to build nuclear weapons. The US believed that Iran would not restrain from developing nuclear weapons.

After the Iranian Revolution, Iran’s nuclear program continued under the leaderships of
Ayatollah Khomeini, Ali Khameini, Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, Mohammad
Khatami, and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Source: Iran and Nuclear Weapons, Protracted conflict and proliferation, Saira Khan (2010)

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mahasamadhi

So who was the intended target of any possible nukes?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Another lenghty post

I strongly recommend the book (it is available as an ebook), It goes into great detail about Iran’s nuclear agenda, though I haven’t finished reading it yet.

The intended target would have been Iraq.
The ambitions of the Shah’s nuclear program is a matter of controversy, it is true that the Shah’s aim was simply to see Iran as an economic power in the region, but both sides of the controversy agree that the weapons aspect was also important for the Iranian leadership.
The primary threat to Iran has always been Iraq. Iran’s conflicts with Iraq developed in 1959. It seems it is all about the ultimate control and influence in the Islamic world, and two significant territorial disputes: the Shatt-al-Arab waterway in the Gulf and parts of Kurdistan. During the Iran-Iraq war the Iraqis bombed many reactors, and as a consequence, Iran’s nuclear program did not make much more progress until Khameini and Rafsanjani came along – they made serious efforts to strengthen Iran’s strategic capabilities to address future security challenges – like Iraq which still were its primary security threat with unsolved border conflicts. Another war with Iraq would have been devastating. But the Gulf war diminished that threat though. The US began to expand its presence in the Persian Gulf. For Iran, this was felt as another serious security threat.

Israel did not become an important rival until the 1980s due to the war in Lebanon and the creation of Hezbollah. Before the revolution, Israel and Iran pretty much maintained close ties and Iran was considered an ally on the edge of the Arab world. In 1979 the US became another source of conflict. So during the 1980s Iran had three primary “enemies” – Iraq, Israel and the US, Iraq being the most serious one.

Since all three “enemies” had or were developing nuclear weapons, Iran also felt itself threatened enough to develop its own nuclear weapons as a deterrent capability – mainly against Iraq. It must be remembered that Iran was the weakest of the four powers, trying to defend itself against much more stronger opponents. But the Iran-Iraq war ended before Iran could get any opportunity to develop such weapons, and since the US invasion of Iraq, the Iran-Iraq relations has improved.

From what I have understood Iran has not yet actually developed any nuclear weapons, but acquiring or building them is (or was) in their interest – it all depends on its security concerns. But if they will actually use nuclear weapons if they get them – I do not know – but to me it seems they would only want to use it to deter its enemies from attacking.

The most important thing we can do is to urge our governments to not engage in a war with Iran. The way I see it, Israel/Palestina is the key to solving the Middle East conflicts, without solving it I don’t think anything will improve.

new topics

top topics

join