It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a victim? Jury Nullification and YOUR RIGHTS!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

Your response is a very uneducated and misinformed
And to say any American who chooses to exercise their rights, is a right-wing terrorist is a childlish response by name calling and UN-american.

In fact, the power of jury nullification predates our Constitution. In November of 1734, a printer named John Peter Zenger was arrested for seditious libel against his Majesty's government. At that time, a law of the Colony of New York forbid any publication without prior government approval. Freedom of the press was not enjoyed by the early colonialists! Zenger, however, defied this censorship and published articles strongly critical of New York colonial rule.

Then, as now, the judge said the "issue of law" was for the court to determine, and he instructed the jury to find the defendant guilty. It took only ten minutes for the jury to disregard the judge's instructions on the law and find Zenger NOT GUILTY.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by OLD HIPPY DUDE]

[edit on 10-4-2010 by OLD HIPPY DUDE]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

First off people are not being arrested for hate speach for speaking out against the government, so long as that hate speach is not in the form of threats. This is a common misunderstanding of freedom and the constirution. The freedom of speech is exactly that the freedom to speak and it is not absolute. This does not give you the right to commit perjury, copyright infringement, false advertising, harassment, extortion, blackmail, death threats...

Hate speech or hate crimes is a increased addendum to an original "supposed" crime. FIRST OFF, a crime needs a victim. Threat of violence is NOT a crime! The only person in the US that cannot be threatened by LAW is the US President. If you do not believe me, threaten your neighbor and then threaten the president, see when you get arrested.

Perjury, blah blah blah blah are crimes where there are VICTIMS. I guess you did not get the FACTS of what I was speaking about.

I hope you respond. I am looking forward to pushing my point.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

Well, I see the prerogative argument presented by the GOVERNMENT is given by Lilitu AGAIN!

WOW, cannot argue the point so YOU argue the NORMAL governmental attitude that they have the right to enforce ANYTHING they want.

Glad to see the governmental attitude and endeavor is being propegated by the standard member. Glad to see you are consistent with your attributes! Would not want to have to learn who the new member is and have to prove THEM wrong also.

First off, as JPZ proved, jury nullification is a governmental creation. The JURY was created to protect us from problematic Government. Even more important than any election booth. Try to charge me with something, even if the government has passed a legislative writ against it, does NOT mean the jury has to find me guilty, they can decide the Legislation is a BUNCH of BULL# concocted by a BUNCH of asshats!

Sorry, but even us CITIZENS have rights, people like you Lilitu cannot TAKE THAT RIGHT AWAY! No matter how hard you try.

How you like them jury nullifications?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Nice thread S&F.

We are going through this right now and crossing our fingers for jury nullification.

Thanks for the explanation, as our attorney was not as clear on this matter.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomataprice

Hey, make sure if the trial is not over, that the defendant makes the closing statement.

The closing statement can be used to go over things not directly related to the case.

I myself will NEVER EVER not go to trial for something as simple as a traffic ticket EVER again! EVER!

I have checked the statistics on trials, 50% clearance over the last 40 years! Now, compare that to admitting guilt to a lesser CHARGE!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join