It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Make a Braided Sling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Slings are very efficient for thinks like hunting, and they are a great survival tool to have the know how to make. Many of these materials can be replaced with natural items such as vines, and animal skin to make the pouch.

slinging.org...

I would copy and paste everything, put it has pictures on it, and you get the full effect with pictures.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Have you ever tried actually hitting anything at any sort of distance with a sling?

Its a whole lot harder than you would think. To know how to make one of these is fine, but if you plan on relying on it, I would suggest ALOT of practice.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

A video on techniques for properly using a sling.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Not the kind of sling I was expecting when I cam to this thread. But good nonetheless. LIght, versatile and efficient.

I have made a shotgun sling using techniques based on the following cobra stitch though. All good skills to learn. Cheers!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well i guess you could do that, but it is pretty hard to do. Notice the guy in the video it does not show him hitting anything with it. Seems kinda impractical to me, i mean why not just learn how to throw your knife? or just have a sling shot?
Hell i have known guys that went deer hunting with a knife.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
it SEEMS hard but the sling is actually one of the easiest weapons to master in comparison.

you should be able to hit a tree at 50 yards in an hours practice.

it takes about a day to master the sling, although the first few trys scare most would-be pelters away.

the sling is easy to construct and conceal, and is actually one of the more accurate weapons at 100-200 yards. they are still really accurate at up to 400 yards but you have to make special shaped projectiles. pelters were superior to archers up untill the long-bows invention, and even then it was often prefered over the longbow due to the longbows huge size and weight. also ammunition for the sling is lying on the ground just about everywhere in all sorts of shapes and sizes (rocks) where as bows require pre-made ammunitions, and retreival.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I just got one done with these instructions I posted. I will tell you all how it works once I've tried it.

Thanks for all of the comments.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If you really want to go primitive then make yourself an atlatl. Accurate at ranges to 50 yards and can be made from natural material in a few hours. If it brought down Irish elk and Mastadons it will work on whitetail or rednecks for sure.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

first, i applaud your attempt. the sling is a very practical weaponry skill to learn, specially in this day and age. improvised modern urban guerilla warfare.

if i could give any advice, id say be sure your not near anything that can break, even if you think its clearly out of reach...youd be suprized how far certain throws go.

second, almost everybody who gives it a go will suck for the first 20 or so attempts, but after that you should naturally get better very rapidly. i wouldnt start with the fancy overhead throws, although some poeple prefer it, from what i understand thats more for horseback.

first focus on releaseing correctly, dont worry about where it goes, so long as its in a general direction. then just start lobbing in little imaginary "areas" after a short while you should be able to hit a tree no problem.

if you practice this for a whole week, and i mean serious dedication, youll be able to scare and impress the hell out of poeple
, but youll know what your doing in even a day. the greeks could allegedly choose which eye they wanted to take out on a moving target at 100 yards, and which shoulder at 200. they also were the first manufactured bullets/missiles (they would even ingrave little distasteful messages for their enemies much liek we do today). i think it was the persians that got their asses handed to them because their archers were inferior to the pelters. its a great way to be productive in your free time, youll build alot of new hand/eye coordination and all that.

and they get past naked body scanners

"Whats this?"
"lucky sock"
"ok then whats this?"
"lucky rock"

---------

(guy with boxcutter)

"alrite listen up! im takening over the-"
WzzzZZZzZZZzzzzzZ! PcK!

"hey...what was that guy saying?"

"...beats me"

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

Can they actually kill humans?

They probably could get past body scanners...

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Fri Apr 9 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
yes very easily, although it depends on what your throwing. your common irregular shaped rock on the ground will usually knock them out, but a direct hit can easily kill them.

top topics

join