It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corellation Between Solar Activity and Earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Earthquake Information: "2010 Chile earthquake 2010-2-27 06:34"
www.spaceweather.com...

Solar Activity Information: "Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) images bracket the eruption between 0719 UT and 1919 UT on Feb. 24th. The event did not produce a bright solar flare, as sometimes happens when filaments erupt, but there was a coronal mass ejection (CME). SOHO coronagraphs observed at least one and possibly as many as three clouds billowing away from the sun: movie. If any of this material is heading for Earth--a big unknown!--it would arrive on Feb. 27th or 28th. Arctic sky watchers should be alert for auroras on those dates."
www.spaceweather.com...

HAITI EARTHQUAKE
Earthquake Information: "12 January 2010 Earthquake"
en.wikipedia.org...

Solar Activity Information:
"A solar wind stream flowing from the indicated coronal hole should reach Earth on Jan. 12th or 13th. Credit: SOHO Extreme UV "
www.spaceweather.com...

I noticed these correlations on accident, and then decided to look at other major seismic activity in the past.

-------Past Events-----

2004 ASIAN TSUNAMI
Earthquake Information: "The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake was an undersea megathrust earthquake that occurred at 00:58:53 UTC on December 26, 2004"]
en.wikipedia.org...

Solar Activity Information:
"Earth is glidng through a solar wind stream flowing from the indicated coronal hole. December 26, 2004."
www.spaceweather.com...
month=02&day=25&year=2010&view=view

--------------------

Fair warning, although these three events happen to fall on periods of time when the Earth is moving through charged particles, I have not done the math needed to prove a statistical corellation. At the moment I believe any relationship is still up in the air. I have, however, downloaded a database on both earthquakes and CME's that I might get around to plugging into some kind of statistical analysis at some point.

A recent post also showed fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field a day before a few major earthquakes, one being Chile 2010, one being the Indian Ocean 2004 quake, and another being an earthquake on September 30, 2009. The one in 2009 did not coincide with any solar activity.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

This thread goes along the lines of my latest one.
The Solar Cycle 96-06 trying to find links to Earthquakes
But I think more people are worried about Tiger woods and sex scandels.

Good job with the research.
I always like a fellow amateur scientist.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
im convinced the heavens directly influence our Earth. im convinced the Sun directly affects our Earth. If its true that by 2012 the Sun will be goin wild with sunspot activity and CMEs etc, then im positive we're in for a very turbulent time as lately every time the sun burps, we feel it. Guess its cos of our weakened magsphere, i dunno.

how xciting

sorry just threw in my scientifically YET unproven ramblin

good day all, keep smilin =)

aLaN

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
www.scientificamerican.com... ecord-sunstorm-will-spell-disaster-2009-09
here's an article that was very interesting from scientific american
i think you're on the right path of proving your hypothesis

good info

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
try this again

www.scientificamerican.com... ecord-sunstorm-will-spell-disaster-2009-09

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Just remember that even if you do find a correlation that it does not imply causation. Too many people on this site think that when two things are correlated it automatically means one causes the other, which in many cases isn't true.

new topics

top topics

join