It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Deputy CIA Director James Pavitt Resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The CIA's Deputy Director of Operations, James Pavitt, is expected to announce his resignation today on the heels of the surprise resignation of the agency's cheif George Tenet yesterday.

The Advertiser

Pavitt oversees the human spies in the CIA.

This close to an election that is going to be controversial to say the least, I am wondering if any nominees can get through the senate confirmation process before November.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What in the world is going on! BOTH leaders of the most powerful secret service in the world going off on sabatticals!

is it me or is the world starting to go a little s t r a n g e ?

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
One of the things that took away Bush father re-election was when his own political party started turning their back to him and resignations started to happend.

Does I see a pattern here?

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
One of the things that took away Bush father re-election was when his own political party started turning their back to him and resignations started to happend.

Does I see a pattern here?

Tenet was a Clinton appointee so its hard to say at this point that this is an issue that will impact Bush Jr. in the way you are saying that it affected his dad.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
He may have been a clinton appointee but he was working under bush administration.

Now he is going to write a littler dirty book about his life in the CIA and make lost of money, if it good enought who knows I may read it.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Phoenix, I'm watching Foxnews & I don't see this.
They're still saying McLaughlin (the deputy) is taking over for him on 7/11 ...

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

There are multiple assistant directors at CIA, depends on department, Hume named the one resigning but I did'nt catch the name and of course the net has been unhelpful with info on CIA assistant directors. YThe story will have to develop.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
As much as I loath quoting this site Democratic Underground is reporting the same story from CNN show, Lou Dobbs,

Democratic Underground

"David Ensor: Yes, I gather from US officials that James Pavitt, the Director of Operations at the CIA, the man really in charge of human intelligence, the spies. James Pavitt will announce his resignation to his staff tomorrow morning, he plans to leave later this summer. Now, officials are stressing that this was planned before, several weeks ago, that it has nothing to do with Tenet leaving, in fact, he didn't know Tenet planned to announce his resignation. I did speak with someone at the Agency who confirmed that yes, Pavitt had planned to leave weeks ago."

There must be something to this resignation as it is ltalked about on both Fox and CNN as well as Freerepublic and Democratic Underground, polar opposites reporting the same information. We'll have to wait for the mass media to catch up.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
In less than a full term, 52 Republicans and several Democrats that were viewed as non-partisan that they've worked for administrations of both parties, have resigned.

George Tenent & James Pavitt can be added to the running total kept HERE.

It's an historic number of resignations with several months left to the term; where do you think it will stop?
Do you think that the CIA will follow the EPA, in having it's head person resign along with the top deputy directors, as listed in the link above? These two agencies were the most co-opted, politicized and dishonored by the Bush political machine. Regardless of party, every professional has been required to hold their nose & corroborate their president's agenda. But here you have two agencies that were asked to build wholsale fabrications that have harmed or killed 100's of thousands of people. I'd like to think it was conscience on their part that motivated, finally, their respective resignations @ the EPA & CIA. But, I fear that it was simply a matter of cutting their losses & avoiding the taint.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
It's up to FIFTY FREAKING TWO! That's more than one a month!

I can't imagine any kind of business still operating that had that kind of executive flight over a three year period. Time to change CEO's.

I say we need a shareholder revolt. These dividends aren't going very far these days.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Chalabi leaks broken code secret to Iran +

Iran stops using cracked code to encrypt signals traffic +

Tenet Resigns +

Pavitt Resigns +

= Near Immediate Iranian terror attack on the U.S.

The Bush administration can now claim that they weren't able to listen in on Iranian intelligence traffic at the same time they lost their two top guys in the CIA. This sets the stage for an Iranian terror attack against the U.S. which leaves the Bush administration with an excuse to stay in office and an excuse to maintain plausible deniability.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaosrain
Chalabi leaks broken code secret to Iran +

Iran stops using cracked code to encrypt signals traffic +

Tenet Resigns +

Pavitt Resigns +

= Next terror attack on the U.S. can be *blamed* on Iranians

The Bush administration would then claim that
� since they weren't able to listen in on Iranian intelligence traffic
� after losing their two top guys in the CIA,
� any terror attack against the U.S. could be
� painted as being driven by the Iranians.

This would give the Bush administration an excuse to
� declare Martial Law,
suspend elections,
� as well as exercise the Iranian Option
� with a Newly Re-invigorated Military.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
OK I've read must of everyone's posts on GT's post-CIA plans. IMHO:
1) He ain't gonna' get assasinated - he's not going to wind up in the Potomac like DCI Colby... That's just Hollywood fantasy crap...

2) He ain't gonna do a tell all book or Larry King because there is a little thing called a 5-year post employment secrecy agreement he signed when he started at the agency...

3) He quit because like DCI Dulles quit to help president JFK "save face" after the Bay of Pigs (BOP) disastorous operation. GT claims he found a document in his predecessor's wall safe that exoneratted JFK from any BOP screwups. Kinda' makes Dulles' resignation seem appropriate now! DDO Pavitt quit on moral grounds - probably. GT probably did too but had to write it up that way to not make GWB look bad. Bad for his resume... dont cha' know?

4) Post CIA work? Any international security firm that needs a top-notch shadow-warrior with beaucoup experience in the field (i.e. Vinnell or Airscan). He'll be amongst his own kind there too. Ex-spooks... He can also go on the speaking tour circuit like "Bubba" Clinton is doing now and make a bundle talking about blah-blah-blah (boring non-classified polysci crap at colleges)...

Almost everybody in the know knows that GWB (et al) is going to self-implode someday due to his top-heavy chronies with their deeply secretive BS lame CYA tactics. When NK comes out it's paranoid bag (Tenet on NK)with it's first nuke aimed at our west coastline GWB will not know what to do. Cheney will claim "Well your the president you idiot... We didn't factor this in!". Of course GWB will be re-elected due to a Supreme Court supported glitch in the new Diebold machines in Florida. Of course our kids will be drafted in 2005. Cheney's Kazachstan Pipeline (runs through eastern Iraq) will be sort of stable and mostly done by 2005 but still under constant assualt by you-know-who. But UBL will be in custody with SH and Noriega - ex CIA friends of DCI Bush (UBL possibly caught just before the November elections). GT and Pavitt will be sitting in a south Pacific beach club saying "I told you so W! Now what cha' gonna' do without us?..."

Well GW has Porter Goss (R) his ol' skull & boner ex-spook friend... Maybe he can help save the world... GT hates Goss as Goss is equal in top-notch mental acquity to his commander and chief... Goss said in a bill that past this week: "the agency continues down a road leading over a proverbial cliff." GT did not let that and other anti-CIA comments slide... last Wednesday, GT fired back that he was surprised by the tone and content, and found some of Goss' judgments "absurd" and "ill-informed." - Yup I agree!

SPQQKY

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
TekNik said: "= Next terror attack on the U.S. can be *blamed* on Iranians"

Well I would like to believe you BUT the last president protected the Iranians after a terror attack that they secretly perpetrated right off of our Long Island NY coastline in the late 90's. I guess everybody forgot that incident? Did anybody notice back in 90's that the Iranians acquired stinger missles, Russian Kilo-class submarines with quiet diesel engines that are hard to detect. Iran has also been buying advanced C-802 cruise missiles from China. So I guess they downed one of our airliners to make up for us downing one of theirs almost to the day one year's anniversary. Was Clinton pulling the 1960's movie "Fail Safe" final solution? One of ours for one of theirs? I think he didn't want to stir up a terrorist hornets nest too. Now Iran is even stonger and armed to the teeth! So why would GW want to pick a bogus fight with them?

Hey I'm all for it if he can make it stick as these Iranian extremist groups are behind a lot of stuff the news won't or can't tell you. I think it would be good "comeupings" for them - but even W ain't that stupid (maybe)... He'll have to pick a much softer target like Pakistan. They may have nukes but no delivery system for them. And they don't know how to use them. If they did they wouldn't be air-bursting them over India like some gigantic M80 cherry-bomb. Or W could randomly pick another helpless African country to pick on. Won't be the Sudan as that might actually help somebody in Africa... Can't have that...

SPQQKY

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

McLaughlin is "acting" DCI until Bush can sneak Congressman (R-FL) Porter Goss in under the Democrats radar the way he snuck the Patriot Act under their collective noses...

SPQQKY

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Oh I just read something really interesting... It looks like a "whistle-blower" (Ms. Sibel Edmonds) is trying to come forward recently. Latest activity as recent as 2 weeks ago and expose something big within the Bush administration and will implicate the USAG Ashcroft... The AG is trying to have a judge gag her. GUESS WHO'S BEHIND SIBEL AND HELPING HER BLOW HER WHISTLE? Pentagon Papers Daniel Ellsburg! Now this is going to be interesting... Do I hear the sounds of "implosion" here? Maybe Kerry will get elected!

Ms. Sibel Edmonds - UPI 6/27/04

An Email She Wrote
Scroll down or CTRL-F search for: An email from Sibel Edmonds

[edit on 28-6-2004 by SPQQKY]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Tenet was fired - without warning. There is speculation that this may be to give VP Cheney a new job so he can be removed from the ticket. Pavitt, on the other hand, may be a genuine resignation, protesting several possible BushCo transgressions. Time will tell.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Maybe -- just maybe -- Pavitt is "Anonymous", the "senior US intelligence official" who wrote the upcoming book Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror. See the Guardian's article on this.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strider
Tenet was fired - without warning. There is speculation that this may be to give VP Cheney a new job so he can be removed from the ticket. Pavitt, on the other hand, may be a genuine resignation, protesting several possible BushCo transgressions. Time will tell.

Well FIRED or MUTUALLY AGREED UPON RESIGNATION... Six of one, one-half dozen...

The theory that "Anonymous" is PAVITT... Now that is interesting! I like the way you think Hecate. But IMHO Anonymous is painfully obvious to plausibly be a CTU disinformation campaign straight out of the brilliant minds of DO strategy-analysts at Langley HQ. If this was Pavitt, or any active agency assest, he would be violating his secrecy agreement. He would quickly be with Aldridge Ames and Hansen (et al) in prison grays... Being that we are "technically" at war (ala GWB) even more severe measures could be authorized against "Anonymous"... I would wager that Imperial Hubris is full of red herrings, blind alleys, misdirection, slight-of-hand, and other disinformation tactics to keep "Ahkmed" off of his mark...
But I could be wrong! I have not read the book yet...

My guess, if Anonymous is legit and not just more GWB smoke & mirrors, is that it might be some "active" SW Asian US embassy employee who is at the front lines of the CTU and lookin' for UBL, as it were. He probably "thinks" he is a "senior US intelligence official" or plays one on TV
It's stupid for an "active" employee to write a expos� book - especially now! So Anonymous is either a sanctioned faker, just a faker, or a very foolish active employee.

With the Patriot Act it will be easy for the guberment to track his real identity, that's if they really want to. Manuscripts are not submitted on paper any more. They are done electronically to save time, money, and efficency. Plus his editor has to file the advance and royalty checks to his SSN for IRS tax purposes. I'm sure Anonymous is not being paid under the table or through an off-shore bank. As that would surely get him caught.

AFP reports that the CIA already knows the author, has vetted the book, and has approved it for publishing! Come on! How stupid do we look? This book is probably a GROUP effort not one 22 year CIA veteran who just felt like venting. Now that Tenet and Pavitt are technically gone the CIA would not promote an openly anti-Bush book without a hidden agenda.

SPQQKY

top topics

join