It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P.A.C.T. Act is signed into law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
By Christopher Michel
Olean Times Herald

P.A.C.T. Act is signed into law

With President Barack Obama’s approval, the U.S. Postal Service is now prohibited from shipping cigarettes - a devastating blow to the Seneca Nation of Indians’ $330 million tobacco industry.

www.oleantimesherald.com...

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

Looks like it goes into effect after June 30. The Senecas seem hopping mad.

Better bust out those credit cards, boys and girls and get your order in. Also affects RYO, MYO tobacco products.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Can they still ship UPS or FedEx or any of those other carriers?

I sort of like the idea of the government taking itself out of the loop. It's less we have to deal with.

It's not like the USPS needs money or anything.

I know if I was dirt poor and about to be rendered completely obsolete the first thing I'd do is cut back my hours and let other people take up my slack.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
When are they gonna sociallize sex? cuz that should be next in line since we're all forced to share Health insurance,politics[via partisanship], and shipping services now

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBranch
When are they gonna sociallize sex? cuz that should be next in line since we're all forced to share Health insurance,politics[via partisanship], and shipping services now

That would be awesome! I am impoverished for sex, so I should get a great price! All those rich b*stards at the top are getting too much of it, they should take some of theirs and send it to me! I would be happy with a couple of nights per month with any of Tiger Woods flings, or Congress prostitutes.

Think about it. . . .it is win-win. They can focus on actually doing their jobs, and I can get screwed by someone that I like, instead of Congress for a change!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Haven't read the entire bill. It was just signed on last Thursday. Another good question would be how this affects pipe tobacco products. Many RYO/MYO people are using a coarser cut tobacco for cigs.

For me, now my property taxes can wait a little longer, will spend that extra money on tobacco. Going to get me a full years worth in one order.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Here's a link.
Source

Seems it's cigs and smokeless tobacco products.

On March 31, President Barack Obama signed legislation that largely bans the delivery of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco through the U.S. mail and requires registration for anyone who sells such products on the Internet and finds another way to deliver them.

Another Source

The PACT Act toughens penalties for renegade businesses that use the U.S. Post Office to illegally ship tobacco products.
The Washington State Attorney General’s Office won passage of similar state legislation in 2009. Senate Bill 5340 prohibits the shipment tobacco products purchased through the Internet or by mail to anyone other than licensed wholesalers or retailers.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Having read the article, there is something that I find really strange:
A native American tribe that trusted the federal government. If I was them, I would not have trusted the Federal government, not with the history of broken treaties and promises that have never been kept, save one.
But beyond that, with the record that the current president has, is it any wonder that this was going to happen?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig If I was them, I would not have trusted the Federal government, not with the history of broken treaties and promises that have never been kept, save one.

Yeah but this time it could have been different.

Why else does this country keep repeating the same mistakes over and over and over and over.....

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is why the government is falling apart. The Postal service has been loosing business to private carriers for decades but stayed alive on subsidies so now they just forced more business to go to private carriers. Idiots!

[edit on 6-4-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Grrrrrrrrrr!!!
Now we'll have to spend twice as much for ciggarettes and the Indians get screwed again.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Let me just drag up this topic for people affected by it. This is the definition of corruption, it is not a conspiracy. You now have these ****s controlling how people legitimately run their businesses and give states the right to become more corrupt. Remember, online = no extra income for these regulators from the taxes. Now, not only are many states taxing over percent wholesale but they are also making it completely illegal for a consumer to receive any tobacco product unless its from a store.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
So tax payers that pay for the USPS system and companies that pay taxes thats support the USPS system cant use the USPS system???

I don't think smoking is good by any means, but its not like it harms the workers at the USPS health.. they don't pose any risk of exploding or anything more so that paper letters or boxes filled with who knows what..

I really think people and business should boycott the USPS.. refuse to use there service and when they ask for stamp price increases.. it won't matter since no one will use them and eventually there prices will be higher than fedex or UPS..

The only reason the postal system still exists is due to the tax payer subsidized cheap postage.. OH and there monopoly on first class mail.. if you have not looked into that one you should look it up.. the feds outlawed anyone from delivering first class letters... after some one actually started a company and was competing and actually doing a better job.. so they just outlawed it.. Kind of like they did to the liberty dollar folks.. the competition to there "currency" came up and they smashed it like a fly..

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Eventually smokers will just grow there own, then they will out law that too.. You can make your own beer and not pay any taxes on it now but there are limits ect.. and you cant distill without a licence etc.. its all about the money .. not about safety or health.. all about the money.

top topics

join