It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Earthquake Sumatra, Indonesia Mag 7.8

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm not religious now, but i was before, and the bible did say first earthquakes, then war on the coming of judgement day..

If you date back to not the beginning of january, the one in Sichuan, China was quite destructive as well.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Well no, NASA did not say that, John F. Simpson did. He was working at Goodyear Aerospace and the University of Akron at the time (1967). It seems that his method of "probabilistic forecasting of earthquakes" hasn't proven to be very fruitful, we don't see a lot of successful forecasting. Simpson

Here's what a more recent paper (2009) says.

When it is considered that the aftershocks are also included in the number of earthquakes which have been taken into the comparison, in the area within the given coordinates, there is no finding that shows that the earthquakes occur as a result of a triggering under the effect of geomagnetic storm. In order to mention such a finding, more number of earthquakes should occur with percentages that correspond to geomagnetic storms. This is not verified by the results.

www.ciencias.unal.edu.co...

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by nikiano

Well no, NASA did not say that, John F. Simpson did. He was working at Goodyear Aerospace and the University of Akron at the time (1967). It seems that his method of "probabilistic forecasting of earthquakes" hasn't proven to be very fruitful, we don't see a lot of successful forecasting. Simpson

Here's what a more recent paper (2009) says.

When it is considered that the aftershocks are also included in the number of earthquakes which have been taken into the comparison, in the area within the given coordinates, there is no finding that shows that the earthquakes occur as a result of a triggering under the effect of geomagnetic storm. In order to mention such a finding, more number of earthquakes should occur with percentages that correspond to geomagnetic storms. This is not verified by the results.

www.ciencias.unal.edu.co...

Well, I appreciate you pointing that article out to me, but I have three articles, one published in the Smithsonian/NASA library (he may have not been working at NASA, but the article is published in their library), one published in the Chinese Academy of Sciences bulletin, and one published in the Russian Academy of Sciences. The one article you published is from Turkey.

No offense to Turkey....but...can you find more than one refuting article? Because I have three, from 3 major scientific organizations.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Can you provide links to those papers?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This article is from National Geographic .... it seems the magnetic north pole is moving rapidly from northern Canada towards Russia. Any comments on the relation to these quakes, if any?

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I did....I went back and added the links to the sources.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

Yes, and 75,000 years ago Toba (supervolcano in Sumatra) blew its top which brought the worldwide population of humans to dangerously low levels. Put it this way, Yellowstone is the runt brother of Toba.

You see big earthquakes in the Sumatra region, you better take notice...tsunami's are the least of the worries...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If were talking 6.0 or bigger we have seen way more than 6!
Haiti twice, Peru twice, Indonesia 3 times, Mexico/Baja area two days or so ago. Japan , Turkey and China. I bet there are others I can't remember.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Sorry, I missed that.

The paper from China says

As judged by above interrelationship, the period from 1995 to 1997 will be the years while earthquake activities are frequent.

I wonder how they define "frequent". Do they mean more frequent than average? Or just that there will be frequent earthquakes? Are they talking about earthquakes of any particular strength? But then, the paper was received in 1997 and published in 1998. One could say it's kind of easy to make a prediction after the fact.

I find it interesting that both of those papers find links to the solar cycle. That's pretty hard to see in the data but that's what statisticians are for. I think the general consensus is that there is just too much noise in the data for solid correlations to be found.

Here's a chart comparing annual sunspot numbers with earthquakes of 7.0 and greater. I think this is what the Russians did.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63321ba0040a.gif[/atsimg]

I'm not a statistician but I don't see much of a correlation. But the Chinese did seem to call the 1995 spike (when they called it is another question).

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

I'm not good at keeping up with things, folks and science but on
CNN video they said it is no coincidence that these quakes are
coming one after another..remember earth changes predicted years
ago? remember pangia ( spelling? ) when all the continents were
more or less together..have to agree we have not been keeping
scientific records long enough to know what's coming next in the way
of changes..that is if we ever could really predict events.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by moralcompass

Beat me to it. I was going to ask the same thing. Depending on what theroy (sp?). It seems to me that if we go with the Earths crust moving with the Pole shift, then yeah, I'd have to say the quakes are just beginning an that this 7.8's nothing compared to what I feel may be coming. But then this is just my take on what may be happening. (shrug)

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage how are you tonight respected member. I see you as a sort of gage.
I hope you don't mind. Maybe not the way you might think either.
I look for the day, when you finally drop all your scientific reasoning
to say, "This is to much for even me to explain". Do you ever think, events could correlate with scripture in such a way. That you
would say so? I think you know I ask you this, with all respect and I admit
I really know nothing, of what you think of scripture.
This is the best way I could think of to ask.

Oh the new avatar.

Damn it, he disembarked.
Took me months to get the guts first then to think how to ask him without sounding all hokey.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Well, somone mentioned the collider causing these events and I can't say no, but I think it is the sun that is cyclically causing this or a hitherto unkown (0fficially) binary star in our system or even the Galactic Center Black hole may the source of GRAVITY WAVES ~~~~

Zacharia Sitchen may get laughed out of acadamia as it does seem on the surface to be far fetched. But his story fits the facts for me when you compare Sumarian artifacts with Egyptian. Something which seems way off from what we are taught in the current pardigm is in fact happening.It appears also, someone(s) wanted us to forget the data about the significant "ages" that came before this one. Hard working Paleontologist had uncovered warmer days existed than the current era or "age". These sure look to be true scientist that collectively studied the raw data for centuries. They observed, through a variety of observations, that temps were way higher than they are or will be in today's immediate future. They have shown us that often in history volcanosic activity had periods of major activity causing global cooling on such a frightening scale. It all appears cyclical to me and that would tend to make me think another sun in our neighborhood or even a major planet is moving at an odd orbit.

Velokovsky's exploding planet hypothesis offers a clue that planets were being affected by an unknown object, possibly Venus he claimed I am probably not remembering all the details correctly. Might have been the same author, I don't know were I saw it, but the planets were supposedly in harmony, even supposedly audibly melodically before Jupiter and Saturn somehow were moved. Perhaps if true, that might be the best evidence that there was a huge war in the "heavens" before we were here. AND if so, the Book of Enoch gives us possible insight.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Love you man... But still think you need to think outside the box... Just a little?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Originally posted by angrymomma
From what I've read from other threads all these earthquakes are happening at a normal rate. What I think the real question we should be asking is this: why is there suddenly so much hype about if it such a normal occurrence?

Every year has a disaster that is more popular. Hurricanes one year, tornadoes the next, earthquakes, tsunamis.

Whatever they can get more ratings out of.

In this case, with the Chile earthquake and Haiti, Earthquakes will be popular ALL year.

~Keeper

Yep. That's something that I've been noticing for awhile myself. I actually created a thread about the fact that each year there is a new national disaster that gets unprecedented press.

Here it is...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I think it's funny they want to call the latest an after shock.

Why? Just because it's after Easter?

[edit on 7-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I still like the "expanding earth theory" best of all. The theory has been beautifully illustrated by Neal Adams in his animations.

If you haven't seen Neil Adam's "expanding earth" animated videos, take a look here. I can assure you, you will be blown away!

www.nealadams.com...

With all the earthquakes lately, it makes me think the earth is getting ready to expand again!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CAPT PROTON

let's just hope toba's dead...and all other suprvolcanoes are too. that region of the world has a couple of those and some more that are suspected to be. rest in peace, I say

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
WOW another quake!?

My guess is that more is to come, aint San Francisco due
to have a big one soon!???

My guess would be there next!!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by vermonster
So is it earthquake season or what?

Can someone with the know-how tell me if the amount of earthquakes lately is normal.

Maybe i've just got earthquakes on the mind? I just feel like I've been hearing about quite a lot of good size quakes recently.

I DO know that earthquakes happen a LOT more than people think - like, daily - but, you usually only hear about the 'severe' ones - those over 6.0 or greater.

But they DO seem to be happening more and more.

And, just some quick data - NOT including this particular quake...

Of the quakes on record, largest in magnitude - of the top 18 - dating back to 1575 - TWELVE, or 66% have occurred in the last 100 years while FOUR, or 33% of those have occurred in the last 6 years.

Of the quakes, largest in death toll - of the top 8 - dating back to 1138 - SIX, or 75% have occurred in the last 60 years while TWO, or 33% of those have occurred in the last 6 years.

How are things not trending poorly, again?

Source: Wiki: List of Earthquakes

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join