It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Earthquake Sumatra, Indonesia Mag 7.8

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by projectvxn

Earthquakes of 7.0 and greater since 1900.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f995b9df942.png[/atsimg]

This is number 6 for 2010.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Phage]

lol... Awe come on Phage... your chart only goes up to 2005 man....

we've had 6 earthquakes over 7.0 this year, but don't forget the POWERFUL close seconds! :

Magnitude 7.7 NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA April 06, 2010
Magnitude 7.2 BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO April 04, 2010
Magnitude 7.0 RYUKYU ISLANDS, JAPAN February 26, 2010
Magnitude 8.8 OFFSHORE MAULE, CHILE February 27, 2010
Magnitude 7.0 HAITI REGION January 12, 2010
Magnitude 7.1 SOLOMON ISLANDS January 03, 2010

POWERFUL Close seconds:

Magnitude 6.6 SOLOMON ISLANDS January 03, 2010
Magnitude 6.5 OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA January 10, 2010
Magnitude 6.2 BOUGAINVILLE REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA February 01, 2010
Magnitude 6.9 CHINA-RUSSIA-NORTH KOREA BORDER REGION February 18, 2010
Magnitude 6.7 OFFSHORE BIO-BIO, CHILE March 16, 2010
Magnitude 6.5 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN March 14, 2010
Magnitude 6.9 LIBERTADOR O HIGGINS, CHILE March 11, 2010
Magnitude 6.1 EASTERN TURKEY March 08, 2010
Magnitude 6.8 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA March 05, 2010
Magnitude 6.6 OFFSHORE BIO-BIO, CHILE March 05, 2010

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

No it doesnt go only to 2005, it goes straight to 2010... Learn to read charts

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

The chart Phage presented shows a long slice of time and the number of annual quakes above 7.0 ? It clearly shows that major earthquakes are a regular occurrence and not unusual. 1944 had more than 40 such major quakes.

It used to be that no one paid much attention to earthquakes unless they happened in their own nation. Now the Media covers them in much greater detail because nothing sells news like a major disaster, or potential pending disaster. Selling doom and gloom is big business even if it is not accurate. That chart shows a significant number of major quakes are common on an annual basis but how many of them were covered by the news in the way that the recent quakes have been?

Big earthquakes happen. More will happen. They always have.

[edit on 7/4/10 by Terapin]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Charts are meaningless, as data can be shifted, subtracted, added and modified by just about anyone. I'm not saying Phage is a government disinfo agent trying to calm everyone down so nobody panics prior to a pole shift. But instruments are faulty, and scales are changed and modified. In reality, we really don't know what's going on. And anyone who thinks we do is delusional. Anyone who thinks we completely understand the universe let alone our own planet is completely off base and arrogant.

That being said, let's look at the other side of the coin. Back in the 40s, there was no mainstream media. Now we have CNN, MSNBC, Faux News and others covering anything and everything that they think is relevant. So a common occurrence that Indonesians are used to (earthquakes) becomes a huge deal to CNN. The reporting, hype, and hysteria is no surprise given our current state. Don't trust the media.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
[edit on 4/7/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
Charts are meaningless, as data can be shifted, subtracted, added and modified by just about anyone.

Just as the data and credibility of those charts can be attacked and dismissed as unreliable and inaccurate by those who simply don't like what the data is saying.

See the irony in what you just posted?

Oh boy *shakes his head*

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
hi..
This is disaster. Earthquake damage all thing. We have to take some care about that. Thanks for sharing this topic.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This makes 29 major quakes so far this year (in 3 months) and in previous years, the 'norm' has been risin steady but the most we have had was last year which was 26 major quakes in the entire 12 month year.
We have already had 29 this year!?

This is NOT in any way normal.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mckyle

Originally posted by DocEmrick
Charts are meaningless, as data can be shifted, subtracted, added and modified by just about anyone.

Just as the data and credibility of those charts can be attacked and dismissed as unreliable and inaccurate by those who simply don't like what the data is saying.

See the irony in what you just posted?

Oh boy *shakes his head*

I never said I disagree with the credibility, nor that I don't like it. I just wanted to point out the fact that you can't trust charts and graphs.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I expressed this mildly in the California quake thread, but I get USGS earthquake updates direct to my Droid phone as they happen. I would normally get about 30-60 updates a day, as it will notify me of any earthquake over 2.0 magnitude. Since the California earthquake, I receive upwards of 80 updates a day of just California quakes alone. This earthquake in Sumatra is interesting, but it's more interesting to me that California is having upwards of 80 quakes in a day, between Baja and southern California.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
My real concern is that with these recent large quakes there has been major shifting going on, which in turn could set off California, or a major volcanic eruption.
I see a wave pattern in the graph Phage posted, just like with everything else on the earth, there are cycles, reminds me of a a heart beat. ^v^v^v^v^
I never panic, just prepare.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by sickofitall2012]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GreyFoxSolid

It is a good thing that California is having so many smaller quakes. That is relieving the pressure so that it can not build up into a bigger quake. The Earth shrugs and rumbles and California can shimmy off the pressure.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I am really surprised that on this site especially that noone has addressed the idea of the LHC having something to do with all of the earthquake activity. Makes sense to me.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

So tell me, how would the LHC have anything to do with earthquakes?? Can you explain that? Do all the other particle accelerators also cause earthquakes? The LHC isn't fully online yet and has only done some test runs, but the energies it can produce at it's maximum potential capacity will never be as strong in magnitude as the energies of the natural cosmic particles that pass right through the earth on a regular basis.

[edit on 7/4/10 by Terapin]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. This thing is basicly a nuclear reactor roughly 17 miles in circumference. They collide these particles at nearly the speed of light. The energy produced afterwards has to go somewhere. That is a huge amount of energy. I have read that the energy field created is so great that a person 50 miles from it will have the hair on their head stand up. It probably has nothing to do with anything but I figured it should at least be explored as a possibility. And in future correspondences I'd appreciate not being talked down to.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Exactly, my thoughts too! And as to why its earthquakes this year and volcanoes next, maybe its because they know that we suffer from disaster overload, imagine two, three or even ten years of major earthquakes, no-one would even blink an eye, but change the subject, or should that read, disaster and we are all over it!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage, I thought you might have jumped on that one so I kept reading.

BTW did anyone notice that Indonesian sites are calling this a 7.2 (Don't know what scale yet)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectnsearch
There is no doubt about it, earthquake activity has gone up exponentially over the last 10 years.

Don't talk such complete and utter nonsense.

You are flying in the face of the facts and figures

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This is probably the 4th or 5th time I have posted this...

Go to spaceweather.com. Look at the archived pages going back to 3/31 and you will see that both quakes in California and Sumatra happened at exactly the same time as 2 coronal mass ejections from the sun hitting Earth.

This is not coincidence. If you go back further in time, as I already have, you can verify yourselves how many times this has happened since the start of the year. (about 9 times last I checked)

I have been working on a chart that shows this correlation but some people have bills to pay. I posted in the Baja thread a few days ago to expect another quake yesterday or today... It's verifiable if you check.

It is the sun... Respect it, study it and you will see the light.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Some 15 aftershocks jolt Simeulue on Wednesday

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 21:06

Banda Aceh (ANTARA News) -
Some 15 aftershocks jolted Simeulue district, Aceh province, here on Wednesday after an earthquake measuring 7.2 on the Richter scale hit the area earlier in the morning.

"Tens of aftershocks measuring less than 5.0 on the Richter scale are jolting the area after the main quake. We keep observing those with a magnitude of more than 5.0 on the Richter scale," an officer from Mata Ie Geophysics Agency, Eridawati, said here on Wednesday.

Eridawati said she had recorded four quakes measuring above 5.0 on the Richter scale which struck Simeulue district.

A powerful earthquake measuring 7.2 on the Richter scale jolted Simeulue district, Aceh province, on Wednesday morning. The temblor had its epicenter 73 kilometers southeast Sinabang, Simeulue district, at the depth of 34 kilometers.

The earthquake had the potential to trigger a tsunami. The condition caused panic among local community rushing out of their homes and going to higher grounds. Tens of local people were injured when trying to get out of their houses.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join