It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Earthquake Sumatra, Indonesia Mag 7.8

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
where is the news web link for indonesian live coverage?

there isn't one on us stream, yet

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This is what CNN has up right now.

There is very limited video footage at the moment.

www.cnn.com...

If you click "play" on the photo, it will start a video.

link   
CHECK THIS OUT.....WOW

www.youtube.com...

HOLY COW !!!!!!!

link   
here is a website that I found with a list of aftershocks. USGS seems to be a little slow with getting the info on the site. I too was extremely curious about the lack of aftershocks. Maybe this will help give us an idea of what's going on with the aftershocks.

indahnesia.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it's worth repeating for this.

The Richter scale hasn't been used to measure quakes since the 70's, so any numbers from before then aren't using the same ranking system. I'm familiar with the explaination for switching, and the claims that the one used today is equal which contradict the explaination for switching, but i find it suspicious how no one seems to know there was a switch, and the media and the public at large continues to think any numbers given are on the Richter scale.

There's really no doubt that we're having more powerful and frequent quakes, so this new system fudging the numbers to downplay the severity as they see fit would explain the consistency in data over time.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Risen]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
WoW what is going on 2 days ago there was a 7.2 in baja mexico!!!

link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

oh thanks, i refuse to watch mainstream news media, and i wont buy ca ble.

I don't watch tv, I use my tv for video gaming, and that's it/.

I really want usstream to put up a link, but they didn't have one for the easter earthquake either, so?

I have to wonder sometimes, because there was a link posted for the chile quake?

link   
Is it just me or are these occurring in a pattern? I recall that the Haiti had two Seven+ quakes before it occurred, then the major... then Chile as well, and now we get these two.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Risen

Good points.

I have heard of the switch as well.

So do these charts take into account the switch from one system to the other?

If they do not take into account those discrepancies , I would suggest they be redone so we can have more accurate models to work with.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleDragon
Is it just me or are these occurring in a pattern? I recall that the Haiti had two Seven+ quakes before it occurred, then the major... then Chile as well, and now we get these two.

Of course Earthquakes follow a pattern, just as anything else does in the Universe.

The "Laws of Physics" make such patterns inevitable.

The problem is, we humans have Not figured out this "pattern" yet. We are a young species and have barely been studying these phenomena for more than a few decades.

If YOU can figure out the pattern, and predict future quakes accurately, you will win a Nobel Prize!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Massive earthquake coming in 2010?

posted on 25-3-2010 @ 07:43 AM

11.3 (On Plate Boundaries Just West Of) Sumatra / Indonesia

Well, I was close ^.^ maybe it'll still go supernova this year...

www.abovetopsecret.com...www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Does anyone believe that a massive earthquake is coming in 2010? Are there any signs that such a thing is going to happen soon? There is an article here on it but it's just the author's hunch.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by SeraphSirius]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Risen

The change from the Richter to the MMS scale does not result in an across the board downgrading of magnitude. As often as not, the MMS value is higher than the Richter value.
en.wikipedia.org...

The reason for the change is that high magnitude quakes are not well handled by the Richter scale.

In 1935, Charles Richter developed the local magnitude, ML scale for moderate-size (3 < ML < 7) earthquakes in southern California. The ML scale is often called the “Richter scale” by the press and the public. All of the currently used methods for measuring earthquake magnitude (ML, duration magnitude mD, surface-wave magnitude MS, teleseismic body-wave magnitude mb, moment magnitude M, etc.) yield results that are consistent with ML. In fact, most modern methods for measuring magnitude were designed to be consistent with the Richter scale. There is some confusion, however, about earthquake magnitude, primarily in the media, because seismologists often no longer follow Richter's original methodology. Richter's original methodology is no longer used because it does not give reliable results when applied to M >= 7 earthquakes and it was not designed to use data from earthquakes recorded at epicentral distances greater than about 600 km. It is, therefore, useful to separate the method and the scale in releasing estimates of magnitude to the public.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Whenever possible, the historical records express magnitude in terms of the MMS scale so that we are comparing apples with apples.

For historical earthquakes, the preferred magnitude will be the best estimate of the moment magnitude (see attached Appendix 2 – Magnitudes of Significant Earthquakes). This estimate, however, should not simply be a conversion from some other historical magnitude scale, but an estimate obtained using supplementary information (ground rupture, macroseismic data, etc.).

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Bay of Bengal Quake Jolts South Asia

April 2, 2010 A powerful quake along the same seismic fault responsible for the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami jolted a wide area from Myanmar to the Indian mainland, hundreds of miles away.

The 6.6 magnitude quake struck just off India’s remote Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal about 10:24 p.m. local time Tuesday.

The only injuries caused by the quake occurred when two people jumped from a roof during the shaking, according an official in the Andaman capital of Port Blair.

The US Geoglocial Survey determined the epicenter of the quake was at a depth of 28 miles and 135 miles north of Port Blair.

The quake was felt so strongly on the other side of the Bay of Bengal in Chennai that some residents remained outdoors in fear of strong aftershocks.

Residents in the far eastern state of Orissa rushed out of their houses in panic when the quake’s shock waves arrived there.

Seismologists said that the orientation, force and depth of the quake prevented any significant tsunami from being generated.
www.earthweek.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dnvrliz
CHECK THIS OUT.....WOW

www.youtube.com...

HOLY COW !!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wasnt the measurement change due to this Richter gentleman's scale being based on California environmental information and not so effective for other locations. Also his scale was designed to compare earthquakes to each other and not really based on generally measuring a single EQ in and of itself.

It is certainly interesting to speculate on what is happening, if anything, as far as increased activity.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Very few aftershocks, that is something that should be watched. If there aren't many aftershocks, it isn't releasing anything. I would expect many 3.0-5.0 aftershocks, but from what I have seen on the USGS site, there has only been three.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by projectvxn

Earthquakes of 7.0 and greater since 1900.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f995b9df942.png[/atsimg]

This is number 6 for 2010.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Phage]

Your cool logic will not interfere with my desire to freak out

therefore, without any further adu....

-freaks out, grabs mustard, a ruler, and some cotton balls and prepares-

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

how about a 9.0 in the gulf of mexico would wipe out most if not all of the gulf coast(s) so who feels like getting a big map and a bunch of push pins and marking every x magnitude and such?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma
From what I've read from other threads all these earthquakes are happening at a normal rate. What I think the real question we should be asking is this: why is there suddenly so much hype about if it such a normal occurrence?

Its because since the boxing day tsunami, every seismological event gets greater coverage in mainstream news. The same thing goes for weather events like hurricanes and floods.

By the way, there wasnt actually a tsunami warning put out. I got the usual fax from our tsunami warning centre early this morning saying there was no threat.

[edit on 6/4/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The Annunaki/Reptilian consciousness is merging with our dimension, that is why the planet is going through such great turmoil and it seems like the world is ending. They create emotional chaos and feed off your fear. Do yourself a favor and no dont watch the news.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join