It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They scare me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Children.
Well, pre-teens and teens, they scare me!

I remember several years ago there was a story in the news about a 12 year old who was bitten to death by the two family dogs. The dogs had known the girl all their lives but one day they attacked her for unknown reasons. The parents had left the girl home alone for a while while going to the store.
I remember back then I commented that 'you don't leave a 12 year old home alone! they are not responsible enough!'

Now many years later, I am forced to leave my 12 year old daughter home alone for two hours after school. Me and her father both work till 6 PM so from 4 till 6.30 she is alone. When she comes home she calls us at the store so I know she arrived ok, then every hour I call her. The girl next door can come over to play and her parents also know they are here alone and are on 'stand by'. We've been doing it this way since September and so far it works out.

The question on my mind is, are they really responsible enough on that age?

Just a min ago she was in the bath tub playing on her Nintendo DSI (like she always does). Only this time she left it plugged in because the battery was empty. I almost got a heart attack and unplugged the thing asap.
She said she didn't know it was so dangerous.
Hadn't I told her about that a long time ago? Apparently not!
(what else have I not told her yet?)

Everyone tells me that this is the age that you need to start giving them your trust and let go bit by bit... that makes my heart go "*boink*boink*boink*boink*"

They really scare me at that age!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I hate to be this blunt, but it depends on how smart your child is. You determine how much space and trust you put in them by how capable you believe they are. Obviously, as parents are protective you will never feel your children are safe, but I'd say your kid is probably good to go.

Just tell her no more gaming in the tub!!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
GypsK...it will be ok. You are paying attention, and she is learning that attribute from you. She will learn to pay attention to her surroundings, and ultimately she will be ok!

Two hours for a 12 year old sounds about right to me. At 12 I had 4 hours to ride the train...(jumped in a boxcar)...to the next town. Raised a ruckus and rode the evening train back.

Oops, I didn't help did I?

[edit on 4/5/2010 by rotorwing]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by KyleOrtonArmy

aaah no more gaming in the tub, you got that right! That was a scary moment!

It's not that she is not smart, but at that age they are so spontaneous that they act first and think later (I know I was probably the same way). That, and not always doing as she's told.
Like when I tell her not to ride home from school through the park! Never go through the park alone! What does she do the very next day? She goes through the park.... This is the age that I start getting nightmares about everything that 'could' happen to her.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rotorwing

:p
How long ago was that?

When I was 7 and my sister was 12, she had to dress me, feed me and take me to school because my mother started working before 6 am.
When I was 12 I did the same for my younger brother.

But the thing is, times have changed... maybe we where more responsible back then? Maybe we didn't grow up with a big 'comfort zone' as they have now and learned things at a younger age in a harder way?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
GypsK...it wasn't all that long ago...my daughters are adolescents now...and my attitude has changed considerably. I wouldn't want them doing half of what I did, but I know they will do some of it.

top topics

join