It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern Lights dancing in ND

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I moved to ND over 2 years ago and have been waiting to see these northern lights. Well just about 2 hours ago I was outside looking north and saw a funny green transparent looking mass in the sky. At first I thought it was a gas leak but as I observed it ,I'm assuming it's the Northern lights. The lights are pulsating across the sky and it is moving south. I read somewhere you get the lights from solar flares entering the atmosphere. Also after the quake today my mind was wondering and I heard of the sky doing weird things before a quake.
Anyhow if your up North, take a look outside.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
ND, is that North Dakota? Please remember that these forums aren't all-American.

Sweet got any pics?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
There seems to be a fair geomagnetic "disturbance" going on at the moment...

In the Australian region, K Index is at 5/6 (where 0 is low and 10 is max) and the pc3 Index is varying between 3 and 9 (again 0 low, 10 max) over different areas of Australia at the moment...

We may well get a look at the Aurora Australis tonight (weather permitting) if this intensifies...

Good post O/P

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Sorry Nick , yes it is North Dakota.
I had heard these lights were up here every April thru Sept but in the last 2 years since I have been here none. I think I heard it was because the magnetic North had moved.
I just came from outside and every few minutes I see just like a light go across the sky , very faint now, and the sun is about to start rising.
At the peak it was like a strobe light pulsating to the north then as the hours passed it slowly moved overhead like going south. I will look again tomorrow hopefully it will happen again.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
An Aurora Alert has been issued by IPS Australia...

Auroras may be visible from far southern parts of the Australian mainland and Tasmania dependent on local weather conditions...

This is one nice little geomagnetic storm we have going, hasn't been one like this for a few years...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Had to fly in that time frame. I was over central Minnesota for most of the flight, and saw the same aurora display. I have seen the aurora on several hundred seperate nights, flying in the northern US, and always enjoy the show.

Remarkable about this one was the rare rde and orange tinges I saw for 10 or 15 minutes. Also very pulse(y), instead of the usual wavey "motions".

Interesting though that my Stormscope was showing some hits, but radar painted nothing. No weather encountered...

top topics

join