It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force to launch robotic winged space plane this month

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

Thanks for that well thought out and informative post. It was a tad bit dry on the WOW factor but still good.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
lol something tells me that's a nuclear missile not a unmanned shuttle. this thing just appeared out of no where and belongs to the air force. you can't hide a space launch so why not cover it up using a ridiculously stupid excuse only a brain dead moron would believe such as," technology test."

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Not to be a douche but I thought Nikola Tesla found out a way to control machines in 1909 but instead we still sacrifice where it is "free" but instead we kill honorable people. Makes me sick but either way I am still Americain even though those w/ cash could be any nation in the world making me doubt there tur patritisim even though I could be look down upon due to what is in the current mind frame making me ill cause it could be more even though I'd be persecuted upon.... All I know is things change and socity and the rich peps that evolve with it take sides degradeing the moral of the everyday americain, even though I am just a type not a acting involved Americain making me pathetic but IDC cause I seem to be funked in my point of view anyway making me sick, cause I AM A AMERICIAN AND I LOVE THE FREEDOME THAT IS SOO... but hey Watchmen is a great movie and I seem to be the comedian even though I am not trying to be funny.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
No offense, DOA, but what advantage would be present in placing a nuclear warhead into this type of craft, compared to an upgraded Trident or a Peacemaker? For one thing, the Thermal Protection System, heat-resistant tiles and thermal blankets, are for entry operations, but would be completely unable to resist the forces of a high-angled entry window that would be needed for an attack missile. The traditional ICBMs use the same type of heat shields used by the prior ICBMs and the pre-shuttle manned spacecraft.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000
No offense, DOA, but what advantage would be present in placing a nuclear warhead into this type of craft, compared to an upgraded Trident or a Peacemaker? For one thing, the Thermal Protection System, heat-resistant tiles and thermal blankets, are for entry operations, but would be completely unable to resist the forces of a high-angled entry window that would be needed for an attack missile. The traditional ICBMs use the same type of heat shields used by the prior ICBMs and the pre-shuttle manned spacecraft.

look at the pic of that thing, it looks like a POS made in 10 minute by a team of 5. how do we know whats really in that rocket.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well, this is really more of a payload carrier rather than a lift vehicle. While it may appear plain and rudimentary, it is a sophisticated design.

Just not very "sexy."

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Looks like the X-37 has some significant limitations although the shuttle could be considered too large, bulky and costly, the X-37 may be the other extreme.

From the source:

While the massive space shuttles have been likened to cargo-hauling trucks, the X-37B is more like a sports car, with the equivalent trunk capacity.

Unlike the shuttle, it will be launched like a satellite, housed in a fairing atop an expendable Atlas V rocket, and deploy solar panels to provide electrical power in orbit.
The Air Force released only a general description of the mission objectives: testing of guidance, navigation, control, thermal protection and autonomous operation in orbit, re-entry and landing

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
As a utility spacecraft, it doesn't have to be so large, since there is no need for on-board launch support/engines. It only has to be enough of an empty space to load up and stick on top of launch vehicle, and the larger payloads could simply be shifted to a different launch platform, i.e. Titan IV.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Nasa did launch something earlier around 6:30 pm.
Not sure what it was. I don't think they had anything scheduled.

jra

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
It's my understanding that this is just a technology demonstrator, like what all X-planes tend to be. And not an early prototype for a production vehicle. The technology used in the X-37 might be used for another vehicle, but I wouldn't expect to see a bunch of X-37's being produced and used by the military.

Originally posted by DOADOA
this thing just appeared out of no where...

No it didn't. Did you read the post by shadowhawk?

[edit on 22-4-2010 by jra]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Had you read the entire thread [ Not very long] It was this craft. Which is the first of it's kind.

Stay tuned.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000
As a utility spacecraft, it doesn't have to be so large, since there is no need for on-board launch support/engines. It only has to be enough of an empty space to load up and stick on top of launch vehicle, and the larger payloads could simply be shifted to a different launch platform, i.e. Titan IV.

Exactly!

It's an unmanned SALV which can reenter when they tell it to not when the food or oxygen runs out. Now with modern Ipod and Iphone Tech just exactly how large do modern Spy Sats need to be? Also without HUMANS on board, imagine the potential for maneuverability it may have?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
What ever took off earlier droped three seperate items. Im guessing booster rockets and a fuel tank but the picture in one of the other post doesn't seem to have that many parts to drop as it reaches orbit. The fan that it created with its smoke trail was very wide when it reached lower orbit.

Found this picture of the launched craft.

www.nasaspaceflight.com...

[edit on 23-4-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The Christian Science Monitor article alleging space warfare is irresponsible journalism IMO.
This is only a test to see how far the craft can go on a specific measured fuel load. There are no weapons or ISR payloads onboard. For you computer geeks out there just consider it a beta test. There is a second X-37B being built at Phantom Works however - and that will be one that the conspiracy minded individual should take more notice of.

Natalie~

jra

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
There is a second X-37B being built at Phantom Works however - and that will be one that the conspiracy minded individual should take more notice of.

I'm not really a conspiracy minded person, but is there anything that you can share about the OTV-2? All I know is that it's launching sometime in 2011.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
this one launched on the same day

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Team Vandenberg successfully launched the first Minotaur IV Lite launch vehicle at 4 p.m. Thursday, April 22, 2010, from Space Launch Complex-8 here. The rocket launched the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency's Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2.

Falcon HTV 2 Launch

conspiracy?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
According to the radio news in Boston, this ship has "gone missing without a trace"

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
sigh... I always had hoped for a real shuttle replacement like the x-33

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Eyespeeled

which one? the X-37 or the HTV-2?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
reply to post by Eyespeeled

which one? the X-37 or the HTV-2?

The HTV-2... it wasn't meant to be recovered.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join