It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: CIA Director George Tenet Submits Resignation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Sources are reporting that George Tenet, the Director of the CIA submitted a letter of resignation to President Bush. Mr. Tenet served as the Deputy Director of Central Intelligence, since July 1995. Following the departure of John Deutch in December 1996, he served as Acting Director. He was sworn in as Director of Central Intelligence on July 11th, 1997. John McLaughlin will be the Acting Director after Tenet leaves.

CIA Director Tenet to Resign
FOX is reporting that the White House has acknowledge his request when Bush accepted his letter in a private meeting on Wednesday night. Tenet cites resignation is due to personal reasons. He will remain in office till mid July.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

CIA Director George Tenet had accepted responsibility for letting President Bush include inaccurate statements about Iraqi efforts to get uranium from Africa in January's State of the Union address. Controversy surrounding bad intelligence and the Chalabi incident may have contributed to his resignation.

"I did not come to this decision lightly."
Tenet delivered a speech to CIA employees about his resignation, and was greeted by a very long and enthusiastic round of applause. He announced his last day will be July 11th, 2004, the 7th anniversary of his being sworn in as DCI. He spoke highly of President Bush and commended his efforts to rebuild the Intelligence agency. He outlined the improvements in the agency during his time, including new training facilities and streamlining of processes with the goal of "protecting America's families."

Tenet complimented CIA employees on their "dedication and valor" during the post 9-11 months, and in their support of those in Iraq and Afghanistan. He encouraged the staff to believe in themselves and always "stay on course," that "our mission should always come first."

"This is the most difficult decision I have ever had to make...this was a personal decision...it is for the benefit of my wonderful family."

He spoke directly to his young son, sitting in the front row, saying "You've always been a great son, now I'm going to be a great dad."

Tenet joked several times during the speech, but was obviously emotional and appeared on the verge of tears at times.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Wow. Somebody is being held accountable in this debacle.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Now if we can just get Rumsfield, Cheney and Bush to follow suit

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I wonder if it has anything to do with this news, also breaking today... Polygraph Tests In Pentagon to find Ahmed Chalabi Leak

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well, it just goes to show how some people can't handle the pressure, you know? You made your bed, now sleep in it. Some people just can't do it...

Mr. M

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
very fascinating parallels SO

getting out before the water gets too hot??? could be.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Don't you love how he says it's "personal reasons". We all know why he resigned...

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Skeptic may be right. However, the resignation will not free him from investigation by the government, if it is headed that way (towards him). Just because he resigns doesn't mean he gets off scott free. There will still be investigations.

Mr. M

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Tenet was never really in favor with the Bush administration.

Despite what has been widely reported, the CIA under Tenet gave the Bush administration the best and most accurate data on Iraqi WMDs it had - only to have the White House and Pentagon focus in on one small detail in order to justify their foreign policies. Tenet would not fall on the sword when no WMDs were ever found (to insulate the president), and this pissed off Bush and Rummy.

It wouldn't surprise me that Tenet is resigning because the White House is again trying to finger the CIA over this leak - when it is 1,000 times more likely that some White HOuse staffer or aid to Rummy coughed up the COMINT info to Chalibi.

Remember, the CIA are professional secret keepers, while the White House is usually the source of leaks.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

FOX News is reporting that George Tenet, the Director of the CIA submitted. Tenet cites resignation is due to personal reasons. He will remain in office till mid July.

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by worldwatcher]

Maybe, he cant sleep at night. Maybe, he knows what Bush and his peeps are going to do next, and he isnt ready to take one for the team.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The real reason Tenet is resigning is to be with his family and away from the Terror activity that is coming in August.

Do you remember the movie, I think Final Impact (the one where the girl goes to the beach with her estranged father to be wiped out by the tsunami) there is a scene earlier in the movie where the goverment official that she is trying to get information from is loading up his boat after suddenly resigning from his position.

I think Tenent knows whats in store in August, seeing as he will be staying on until the middle of July.

This way he can try and get as far away from Washington ? as possible before the terrorist strike

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Maybe that he was the U.S. leak or substancially responsible for the information (U.S. abillities to decipher Iran's military encryption codes) leaking to Chalabi, and then passed on to the Iranians by Chalabi.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Could his personal reason's have anything to do with the 'comets' scenario. I noticed as well that after King George II made his comments about Tenet he climbed aboard Marine One for Air Force One and he's off to Europe. Circumstantial? Perhaps or he's getting out of Dodge while the getting is good. We'll have to wait and see what transpires.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by yeshayahu2004]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

[edit on 2004-7-2 by Teknik]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeshayahu2004
Could his personal reason's have anything to do with the 'comets' scenario.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by yeshayahu2004]

No offence intended here mate, but, He wouldn't need to resign to leave the country, would he? To be fair I don't really know much about this man, as I'm from england, but Pretty sure it's nothing to do with comets, probably more to do with the situation in iraq.

If anyone can tell me what the consequences of this are feel free, Meaning is this a good thing or a bad thing?

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
Wow. Somebody is being held accountable in this debacle.

Bull#. Nobody is being held accountable here.

Tenet is just taking the Fall for his superiors. That's all thats going on here.

He's the scapegoat. That's all.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
Don't you love how he says it's "personal reasons". We all know why he resigned...

Yeah. I was at a customers place when I lauched internet explorer (to go to windowsupdate.com) but her start page was msn.com, and I laughed out loud when I saw he resigned and said it was for "personnal reasons" lol...

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
oh man, this makes my day. if only bush could do the same.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teknik

Hope he doesn't get assasinated first, though.

[Edited on 2004-6-3 by Teknik]

If he gets assassinated, it's all over. If he's in the news soon for getting into a car accident, or something like that, I think a person would be blind and ignorant to think it's a coincidence.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Main story updated with details of Tenet's resignation speech.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join