It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA: Iran Inching Towards Nukes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

CIA: Iran Inching Towards Nukes

www.ynetnews.com

Iran is planning to develop nuclear weapons and is intensifying uranium enrichment at its nuclear facilities, the Director of National Intelligence said in its annual report, contradicting the report it published three years ago on the subject.

The Washington Times reported Wednesday that the DNI, which represents 16 US intelligence agencies including the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), filed an annual report to Congress stating that Iran is preparing to develop nuclear weapons despite...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Yeah, right!

- So lets nuke them?

This report came just when G8 is gathering, and talking about Iran - what a perfect timing to give warmongering for media. Yesterday they leaked info that some nuclear "top" scientist is in US custody, and today all US agencies are suddenly backing this story... "Iran is after nukes!" Warmongering is really taking now its highest level.

I dont know what steps Iran can do after this moment - when its wide public accusation, that they have been lied about their nuclear issues and US is accusing them from having Nuke program... Sanctions - taken now as act of warfare?

- Surrender? ... To whom?
- Negotiate? ... With whom?
- Attack? ... Against whom?

We are heading to war.

www.ynetnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

They need someone like Colin Powell to sell it. What a job he did with his testimony at the UN. No such person exists today. Obama has garnered a lot of mistrust with his recent work on health care.

For this reason I feel Obama is a one term president. He is over matched against Putin. It would seem that TPTB need someone with at least a minimal military background like Rick Perry to push the button on Iran.

Until then it is stall, stall, stall, threaten, stall, stall, stall.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Sorry friend, would you happen to have another source to back-up that claim? I would assume that Israeli news would state this in order to get the bigger nations to back them up further.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
as was expected, this ties in with this.

Iran Nuclear scientist defects to CIA

there was also a thread about this on ATS that seem to have "disappeared "

Nevermind, found it here.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
So now the CIA are finally agreeing with the IAEA on this matter.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
If true, then that's a complete reversal of the previous NIE report, which stated that Iran WAS NOT developing nuclear weapons, or even trying to.
Of course, if you staff the relevent agencies with the right people, you'll get the outcome you want.

It's also possible that the current, and many previous administrations, have been breaking the law by sending military aid to Israel. If I remember correctly, and from what I have read, there was the Symington amendment to the foreign aid bill way back that prohibited aid from going to any state that was, or already had, developed nuclear weapons outside of the NNPT. That would explain the official US policy of not mentioning or confirming Israel's nasty little nuclear arsenal.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
So now the CIA are finally agreeing with the IAEA on this matter.

I thought the IAEA had reported there was nothing to worry about. Besides that, the CIA is no one I would trust. Look at Wikileaks.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
If true, then that's a complete reversal of the previous NIE report, which stated that Iran WAS NOT developing nuclear weapons, or even trying to.
Of course, if you staff the relevent agencies with the right people, you'll get the outcome you want.

It's also possible that the current, and many previous administrations, have been breaking the law by sending military aid to Israel. If I remember correctly, and from what I have read, there was the Symington amendment to the foreign aid bill way back that prohibited aid from going to any state that was, or already had, developed nuclear weapons outside of the NNPT. That would explain the official US policy of not mentioning or confirming Israel's nasty little nuclear arsenal.

BINGO! I hate how people are accusing Obama as being a muslim because the way he treated NetinYAHOO or w/e his name is when we are still funding and transporting weapons to Isael when it is ILLEGAL to support anyone who has nukes that are not part of the NNPT

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Spike360]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

Yep - good point! Powell perform that act very impressive way in UN those days, I remember it well...

But I think USA still has few to make it again:

1. Obama. USA citizens maybe thinks his words twice these days, but in the eyes of world media, he is still the one and hope. UN is the world stage.

2. Mike Mullen. "Iran attack - Not in my watch" was his words, so if he is now backing this story in UN - media and people will listen him.

3. David Petraeus. That honored commander, who have all what is needed to tell us "the truth".

... These three faces pumps up to my mind, when I am thinking who is really going to sell this stuff to world. Any others?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I feel the west is desperately trying to prevent Putin from completing the NPP at Bushehr this summer. The west is not ready, Putin seems to be. Earlier I thought he was bluffing, but now I think not. Russia can't let Iran fall. If they do they're next!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

This came up in their main news and personally I have followed YNETNEWS for years now. They are usually fast and many times first of all to tell us latest breaking news in ME. I rely on this source like 95%.

But something strange happen with this news, I admit that. It was very soon after been published downgraded from "Breaking" to "regular news" - and usually Haaretz and JP post follows with each others stories - this time not.

Maybe YNET was way too fast this time (because the time zones) - real breaking news possibly should start from USA - "FOX first"... Lets wait how this day goes further.

First we need the official launching episode, and I am waiting it to start from US media later today.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I will to copy/paste whole YNET article here in case of later censorship: (This really is ground breaking story for middle east future!)

CIA: Iran inching towards nukes

www.ynetnews.com...

Ynet, Published: 03.31.10, 12:23 / Israel News

Iran is planning to develop nuclear weapons and is intensifying uranium enrichment at its nuclear facilities, the Director of National Intelligence said in its annual report, contradicting the report it published three years ago on the subject.

The Washington Times reported Wednesday that the DNI, which represents 16 US intelligence agencies including the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), filed an annual report to Congress stating that Iran is preparing to develop nuclear weapons despite recurring failures in its centrifuges.
"Iran continues to develop a range of nuclear capabilities that could be applied to producing nuclear weapons, if a decision is made to do so," the report says.

A US official involved in countering proliferation said the Ayatollah regime was "keeping the door open to the possibility of building a nuclear weapon." He added, "That's in spite of strong international pressure not to do so, and some difficulties they themselves seem to be having with their nuclear program. There are powerful incentives for them to close the door completely, but they are either purposefully ignoring them or are tone deaf. You almost want to shout, 'Tune in Tehran.'"

'Clearly pursuing pressure track'

Pentagon Spokesman Geoff Morrell was quoted by Fox News as saying after the report was published that the US remains concerned about Iran's ambitions.

"They have not done enough to convince any of us that, indeed, their aims are purely peaceful," he said. "That is why this government, after extending an outstretched hand to Iran now for the better part of a year, has now pivoted. And though we haven't shut the door to engagement, we are clearly pursuing the pressure track."

The new intelligence evaluation also delves into Iran-Hezbollah ties. The report says an attack on an Israeli naval vessel during the Second Lebanon War may signal a rising distribution of advanced weapons to terror organizations. It also says weapons trafficking from Iran to Hezbollah through Syria is steadily on the rise.

The report written by the CIA basically toes the line with an International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) report published last month, which warns Iran is on its way to developing a nuclear weapon. But the new US report contradicts that published in 2007, which said Iran had frozen its nuclear program in 2003.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike360

I thought the IAEA had reported there was nothing to worry about.

No, the new IAEA chief has a different view.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

No Country should have Nuclear weapons.... end of.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

A newly released CIA report claims that Iran "continues to develop a range of capabilities that could be applied to producing nuclear weapons," and despite their program having technical issues, they are "keeping the door open to the possibility of building a nuclear weapon," the Washington Post reported Tuesday.

According to the annual CIA's report to congress Iran expanded their nuclear infrastructure and uranium enrichment plan in violation of the UN Security Council resolutions, which since 2006 have required Teheran to cease the program.

www.jpost.com...

join