It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Signs You Are An Unquestioning Christian

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+59 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I found this on the net, and it expressed everything that *I* couldn't express in words.

I want to see some real Christians debunk these, instead of quibbling over irrelevant issues:

1: You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of YOUR god.

2: You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from lesser life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

3: You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem with believing in a Trinity god.

4: Your face turns purple when you hear of the atrocities attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehova slaughtered all of the babies of Egypt in 'Exodus' and ordered the elimination of ENTIRE ETHNIC GROUPS in 'Joshua' - including women, children, and animals.

5: You laugh at Hindu beliefs that defy humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem in believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

6: You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (4.55 billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by pre-historic tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that the Earth is a couple of generations old.

7: You believe that the entire population of this planet, with the exception of those who share your beliefs - though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend eternity in an infinite hell of suffering. Yet you consider your religion the most tolerant and loving.

8: While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some person rolling around on the floor 'speaking in tongues' may be all the evidence you need.

9: You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be the evidence that prayer works, and you think that the remaining 99.99 % failure was simply the will of God.

10: You actually know a lot less than many Atheists and Agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history, but still call yourself a "Christian".

jmm.aaa.net.au...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that some of these do indeed come across as "harsh" (especially 10), and I'm not crazy about the adjectives the author used, but I wanted to preserve the original text as much as possible, for I believe it all makes A LOT of sense.

So, lets have a civilized discussion about these 10 things, because whenever *I* bring some of them up to people in threads, they mostly get ignore.

Now it's time to get to the bottom of it.

And just for the record, I am not an Atheist. I am an Agnostic. And also for the record - I am against ALL organized religion - not just Christianity.

And what actually prompted me to post this was due to my experience at the mall 2 weeks ago. I will get into that briefly.

Long story short, my friend kind of set me up to talk to the Christians at their kiosk at the mall (2 weeks ago). Before I knew what was going on or who I was about to talk to, I was literally face to face with the woman behind the kiosk. My friend said to the woman, "Here's the person you need to talk to". (My friend is atheist, btw).

So, she started with the whole sphiel. She walked away from me after about five minutes. At that point, a young man in his early 20's started on me. He asked, "What is your problem with the Bible?". I told him what I thought. Once I got to, "How people burn in hell for not accepting JC as your lord and savior", the main guy (40-something year old male named Paul) interrupted him and took over.

I started with my beliefs, and he just kept going back to the bible as reference. I asked him to please stop using the Bible as a reference, but he just kept going at it. He said, "It's God's word, and that's the bottom line".

He did not want to hear anything else.

Then what really pissed me off was when I said, "I was Born-Again for almost 2 years". He said, "You could NOT have been Born Again, because if you were, you would have never turned away".

Me being too nice, I let it slide, but what I really wanted to say was, "I just evolved past religion".

Paul would not let me leave. I mean, I could have walked away, but I am not a jerk to just walk away from someone in mid-sentence.

I got away after 45 minutes of Paul, and over an hour of them all combined.

So yeah, back to the thread. I will not tolerate personal attacks, SEMANTICS, and quibbling over irrelevant issues.

This thread is about the 10 points I have posted above. Simple as that. Keep it relevant.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by impaired]

Included 'ex' tags and a link

[edit on 31/3/10 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

5: You laugh at Hindu beliefs that defy humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem in believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

The author left out the entire Old Testament bit about the 'angels' impregnating women, and making superhuman and giant babies. That one always gets a chuckle.

I agree with you about this list 100%. I quit being a Christian, because a LOT of what they say and do is wrong beyond belief. They adhere to the 'bible' about as much as I'd adhere to a greased, glass wall.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat

The author left out the entire Old Testament bit about the 'angels' impregnating women, and making superhuman and giant babies. That one always gets a chuckle.

I agree with you about this list 100%. I quit being a Christian, because a LOT of what they say and do is wrong beyond belief. They adhere to the 'bible' about as much as I'd adhere to a greased, glass wall.

The Nephilim? The ones that Christian call demons masquerading as Aliens?
That is actually one that angers me deep down inside, because it conditions people to believe that ALL Extra Terrestrials are demons - and THAT one really makes me upset.

I don't get how people will believe certain things in the bible, but will cast aside other things that don't "jive" with them.

The bible is tailored to their own belief system, which is a convolution - also a sin in itself.

How many people actually follow the bible to the tee?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Great post.

I have no issue with the average Christian but the zealots that fit within these 10 points really set my blood to boiling. How someone can assert, on blind faith, that their religion is absolute truth and that they KNOW their beliefs are the truth is beyond me.

Sometimes I think human beings are fundamentally insane as a species... or that perhaps religious belief is some kind of community coalescing defense mechanism built in during our development and evolution.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

i stopped being a christian when i was ten.
one day i thought about and came to the conclusion "it seems like a fairy tale really"

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
i agree %100 with the ten points and i love that evilbible.com site it points out all sorts of messed up things in christianity

as for the OP get ready for a flood of angry posts from a bunch offended religious wierdos

geat thread S&F

also i need to warn you from my expieriance when you say something that points out the flaw in a zealots belief system they will either ignore you or say satan wants you to think that. or they will cuss you out(not very christian but ive seen them do it) or they will just make a bible reference

also there are some out there that will come up with something that sounds like it counters the flaw but it really doesnt.
like how nomore cruelty keeps bringing up don piper
or a zealot will tell you something like if evoution were true there wouldnt be monkeys anymore

debunk these zealots without mercy or a second though

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Great post.

I have no issue with the average Christian but the zealots that fit within these 10 points really set my blood to boiling. How someone can assert, on blind faith, that their religious is absolute truth and that they KNOW their beliefs are the truth is beyond me.

Sometimes I think human beings are fundamentally insane as a species... or that perhaps religious belief is some kind of community coalescing defense mechanism built in during our development and evolution.

Thanks.

Same here - I have no problem with the ones who do the right thing, but once things start getting shoved down peoples' throats, that's what gets me.

For instance - My mom is Jewish. Her brother (my uncle) is a serious Christian. He tells my mom that QUOTE "You will burn in hell if you don't accept Jesus as your lord and savior".

I have nothing against the words that Jesus said. I do, however, believe that a lot of them were twisted throughout the years - how could they have been not? It's been 1900 years since they were "transcribed". The same goes for the entire bible itself. It was written with archaic words and descriptions - there were no words for flying saucers, aliens, space, etc.

Oh yeah, another thing I meant to post:

When I told Paul, "I believe that Jehova existed - he's just not MY god or the one that *I* pray to - my god doesn't judge, kill, send to hell, act like a baby, and sure as hell doesn't have human traits". I thought his head was going to explode.

He also didn't like how I said that I believe that all gods (include Jehova) were simply Extra Terrestrials and god-imposteurs...

So yeah, to believe in Extra Terrestrials is crazy, but taking the bible literally and believing it that way isn't????

I seriously don't get it, and I don't think I ever will.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

what did he have to say about god is an alien? i would love to hear about that lol

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

It's a bash to their paradigm. I can see WHY it offends them, but I mean come on - just use common sense!

YOU CAN BE A GOOD PERSON AND DO THE RIGHT THING WITHOUT FOLLOWING AN ORGANIZED RELIGION!

How can the above be Satan?! That is the age-old excuse:

"Anything that goes against the bible is Satan's work".

I dislike Satan, and I dislike Jehova. I dig Jesus.

Go figure.

Still going to hell, though...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90

what did he have to say about god is an alien? i would love to hear about that lol

His facial muscles just got really tight - like he wanted to say something that he couldn't - or wouldn't.

Edit - thought it was a different question.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   

When I told Paul, "I believe that Jehova existed - he's just not MY god or the one that *I* pray to - my god doesn't judge, kill, send to hell, act like a baby, and sure as hell doesn't have human traits". I thought his head was going to explode.

I certainly am convinced the Christians' "God" and "Jesus" are made up fantasy: There's a "God" out there- but it sure isn't what they're promoting. There's so many flaws in that religion, it's hysterical. Or not, depending on if you've been burned at the stake by them...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat

I certainly am convinced the Christians' "God" and "Jesus" are made up fantasy: There's a "God" out there- but it sure isn't what they're promoting. There's so many flaws in that religion, it's hysterical. Or not, depending on if you've been burned at the stake by them...

I thought that too, but then I thought about how much life is most definitely out there.

It's almost common sense to assume that there is or was some kind of ET influence back in the day.

Being that the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old, and the Universe is about 14.8 billion.

Humans began popping up only 2 million years ago.

That gives a window of over 10 BILLION years for other civilizations to evolve (naturally, not like how I think WE came to be) and branch out.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

The Nephilim? The ones that Christian call demons masquerading as Aliens?

And therein lies one of the fun parts: Depending on the Bible translation, it's Nephilim, or Angels, or demons, or 'beings', or 'sons of God', or.....

I have seen this personally, in like 5-6 diff 'translations'....

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

6: You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (4.55 billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by pre-historic tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that the Earth is a couple of generations old.

This is one I want to address as an agnostic. My father in law and me talk for hours sometimes on subjects like this. He is a christian as my wife is so I have no beef with the religion itself, (just the people running it). I asked about how the earth was created in 7 days? When I asked this he asked me "What is time in God's eyes"? "One day could be designated as a millenium to him". It was literally one of those things that just kind of shocked me as I was used to hearing "Can you prove it is that old"? He doesn't do the church thing as he doesn't tend to trust them so maybe he is a bit more agnostic than some other ones but I thought that I would share it here.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian

This is one I want to address as an agnostic. My father in law and me talk for hours sometimes on subjects like this. He is a christian as my wife is so I have no beef with the religion itself, (just the people running it). I asked about how the earth was created in 7 days? When I asked this he asked me "What is time in God's eyes"? "One day could be designated as a millenium to him". It was literally one of those things that just kind of shocked me as I was used to hearing "Can you prove it is that old"? He doesn't do the church thing as he doesn't tend to trust them so maybe he is a bit more agnostic than some other ones but I thought that I would share it here.

There it is! I hear that one a lot!

It clearly says DAYS. Saying that "God's days" are different is a cop-out, imho.

Also, isn't that a contradiction when they say that?

They're admitting that the earth could very well be 4.5 billion years old, and that God's days are longer, so it measures up.

But I thought Christians (if the shoe fits, wear it) don't believe in science!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

haha awsome i always wanted to do something like that

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
While I understand the intent of the post; the deliberate baiting and attacking of other people s religion sounds disturbingly like bigotry - doesn t it? As I understand it Christians are by definition followers of Christ. This is a broad category. The "10 signs" seem to combine several different religions and lump them all together as one. This doesn t strike me as particularily productive.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidself
While I understand the intent of the post; the deliberate baiting and attacking of other people s religion sounds disturbingly like bigotry - doesn t it? As I understand it Christians are by definition followers of Christ. This is a broad category. The "10 signs" seem to combine several different religions and lump them all together as one. This doesn t strike me as particularily productive.

Nice try. It most certainly IS productive - that's the purpose of the thread: to confront Christians with these very points.

It's not productive if you're a Christian, I guess...

And these 10 points most certainly do address Christians. But hey, even if it does address others, then so be it.

So... Now that we got that out of the way, what do you have to say ABOUT those 10 points? That's what this thread is about. Thank you.

Edit to add - and don't even get me started with BIGOTRY. It is in most religions to BE bigoted - against any one else who does NOT believe their own religion.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

It clearly says DAYS. Saying that "God's days" are different is a cop-out, imho.

I heard once about someone who found a large screw up in another portion of the bible: seems someone mistranslated the Hebrew word for 'fire'- so, the mistranslated portion of the OT ( I cant remember what book or verse) read: "an evil WOMAN was in the basket", ect- Instead of the correct translation: "an evil FIRE was in the basket". This person actually broke out a torah (written in Hebrew, the old stuff, according to them) for this- a long discourse about what it all meant followed....

How much you wanna bet that 'day' is also a screwed up translation: and if that's also true (which it might be) How much ELSE hasn't even been translated right, and then re edited to death? How much of the Bible is wrong, just due to the fact someone couldn't read the original language? The rest of us, who cant tell ancient Hebrew from Sanskrit would *never know*.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Exactly.

So many things are most definitely mistranslated in the bible, but it doesn't matter in some people's eyes...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join