It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Winter Storm Hitting Britain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
For some parts the next 24 hours could see the worst snowfall of the year, coupled with gales bringing extensive drifting. Worst affected is Central and Northern Ireland and Scotland. Latest video forecast here:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Although snow this time of year is by no means unusual, the ferocity of this storm is.

In Ulster: Heavy Snow Causes Travel Chaos

In Scotland: Snow Warming as Homes Lose Power

Any ATSers in the affected areas: say safe, but send us your reports!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Thanks for posting this,.

Hope it proves to be helpful for some members here.

Also I just heard them say on the news literally 2 minutes ago that Edinburgh is expecting 15 cm's of snow over night.

Hope everyone who is up there stays safe.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I'm up on the north coast of N Ireland, and I've been sitting all afternoon watching some serious snow fall. All the grass areas are now white, and the roads are slushy and don't look very inciting at all.

I think I'll stay here infront of the fire for as long as possible!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

Also I just heard them say on the news literally 2 minutes ago that Edinburgh is expecting 15 cm's of snow over night.

Looking at the current radar, there's some very heavy precipitation - likely to be mostly snow - heading west now across southern Scotland and probably extending up to Edinburgh in the next hour or so.

Oddly, the southern edge of the precipitation is almost exactly along Hadrian's Wall!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Yes they showed that on the news as well when discussing the weather warning.

here is a link to it as well.

(Click Here)

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Yet again the LHC starts then the weather goes crazy? IS THERE A CONNECTION OR NOT?????????

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm on Deeside, 30 miles west of Aberdeen...a couple of inches of snow, and lots of heavy sleet, kinda windy. Much more expected overnight. The Met Office have released an Emergency Weather Warning, which is very unusual. Red on the map, which we don't see often...

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

I know there was at least a foot of snow in one of the villages west of where I am this morning, and 60 mile an hour winds expected tonight for a lot of places.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The BBC weather report is just this moment saying it could be up to *50* cms of snow in places, and it's the heavy sticky kind of snow that sticks to power lines. Not good.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm in and around Derry - nothing too bad here. Some snow, though I am hesitant to use the term, as it's really more sleet. Very very cold wind though; I went outside for just over a minute without gloves and my hands were painfully frozen when I came back in. I did come home to find my clock flashing, so we had a powercut. Snow's stopped now though and there's been no further loss of power. I keep thinking I can hear thunder though. Hope I miss out on all the snow this time.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Any ATSers in the affected areas: say safe, but send us your reports!

Sorry, never seen this thread

Just have reported in :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry again.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

nothing too serious to report here in central .ie.
snow and sleet all day. very slushy. odd bit of high wind. power outage 7 miles away in another town.

one poster wondered if it had anything to do with CERN.
MY two cents worth is no.
How do I know that?

I got a warning in February about the 27 of march and snow and wind from j mc canney. Check his radio shows for February if you don't believe me. He mentioned this weather anomaly would be due to an electrical conection between comet lulin, venus and mercury and earth. Serious. I have delayed my garden because of this warning and now I am glad I listened to him. I told as many people as I could at the time so hopefully they listened and postponed their planting for another while also..

peace to you all

daz

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by daz__

I got a warning in February about the 27 of march and snow and wind from j mc canney. Check his radio shows for February if you don't believe me. He mentioned this weather anomaly would be due to an electrical conection between comet lulin, venus and mercury and earth.

Hmm, I dunno about that
But the storm was well predicted by forecast models over a week ago - though of course precisely where and when the heaviest snow would hit wasn't know until the exact trajectory of the low pressure system became clearer. Always looked like being S Scotland/N England and N Ireland though.

Couple of stories from this morning:

Heavy snow creates travel chaos across Scotland and in N Ireland Motorists freed from trapped cars

Worst now over, but more snow still to come in places over the next couple of days.

Edit: Comet Lulin? That passed round the sun over a year ago and is now back out beyond the orbit on Jupiter

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Essan]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by daz__

Is that the old man who predicts the weather? Actually I think the one I'm thinking of is around donegal - but he predicts the weather weeks or months in advance, and he's never once been wrong, apparently.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Good luck people stay warm, get some lights and candel ready, extra food and even blankets if you have power cuts, save some bottles of water, the usual stuff.

Power Cuts And Drivers Stranded In Blizzards

Hundreds of people have been rescued from their cars and tens of thousands of homes are without power after blizzards blanketed parts of northern Britain.

Snow storms and strong winds have hit many parts of Scotland, with more snow, gale force winds and torrential rain wreaking havoc across Northern Ireland.

In Glenshane Pass, County Londonderry, around 300 people had to be rescued from their vehicles which became stranded in snow, including a bus carrying 20 schoolchildren, police said.

Officers, mountain rescue and the coastguard worked to lead them to safety at a nearby leisure centre - which was then hit by a power cut.

About 48,000 homes in the province were without electricity after high winds brought down power lines and poles.

The power cuts hit an area stretching from Enniskillen in the south to Coleraine in the north.

"The weather conditions will be atrocious in places with around 15cm, six inches, of snow possible at low levels, and a staggering 40cm, nearly a foot and a half, over high ground.

"Some routes are likely to become impassable, and interruptions to power supplies are also possible.

Text

Who goes to Alton Towers in the snow? They should have cancelled it.

A 17-year-old girl has died after the coach she was travelling in for a school trip crashed in "horrendous" weather conditions in Scotland.

The victim was one of 12 teenagers injured when their vehicle careered off the road and down an embankment, smashing into water and coming to rest on its side, partially in a river.

The coach, with 33 children, five staff and a driver on board, crashed shortly before 6am on the A73 in South Lanarkshire. They had been on their way to Alton Towers.

Text

[edit on 31-3-2010 by The time lord]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I'm in North East England, not that far away from Scotland relatively, and it's glorious sunshine outside???

Just hope it doesn't travel down here, I've had enough of the horrible weather this year, it has been quite depressing if the truth were to be told.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

I too live just outside Aberdeen and it has snowed here since yesterday morning, thats close to 36hours. Woke this morning to about 4inches of snow, very wet and heavy snow. The power went on and off all night. I believe it is forecast fpr even more tonight, especially for the North east of Scotland...YET AGAIN...

ROLL ON SUMMER!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Terrible weather since yesterday!
Howling gales and sleet,then went outside at 2pm today,and although still cloudy,wind has died and it feels quite mild!!

Strange bloody weather!!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by scobro

Yes, bitterly cold and sleet yesterday, hail blowing about like clouds of dust this morning, and now its sunny! And not far from here, 300 people had to be rescued from a blizzard
The sky man is coming on friday, i hope he doesn't get blown off my roof.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Yet again the LHC starts then the weather goes crazy? IS THERE A CONNECTION OR NOT?????????

None whatsoever.

Strong winds from the north are pushing cold are down which is driving out the warmer air. This happens all the time.

It's a very fascinating phenomena called, "The Weather".

top topics

join