It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morally bankrupt and no longer even trying: Canada opposes ban on endangered bluefin tuna

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Morally bankrupt and no longer even trying: Canada opposes ban on endangered bluefin tuna

www.straig ht.com

Remember when Canada used to take morally courageous stands on issues and was well-respected for it? Remember when it was America on the wrong side of so many issues, rather than Canada? And remember when the lust for profits didn't necessarily trump all else in every decision this country made?

Well, I've got something new for you to all remember and it's something, when the time comes, I sure hope no one forgets: When you read about the complete collapse of the Atlantic bluefin tuna population and its eventual extinction in a few short years from now, remember that it was Canada, as mu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Well kids, corporate greed is more important than the sustainability of life on our planet. It amazes me how much people know and are aware of, how much they know about the way they are ruining the world, and they could care less.

People will read this article, whine about how terrible it is, and then go on with their day, perhaps eating a tuna sandwich. What I want to know is when people will stand up and do something about it.

www.straig ht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

G'day Happyfeet

I was listening to the reports on the BBC when the decision came through.

I find it hard to believe.....

I'm completely disgusted with the whole thing.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Disgusting...

Sad thing is... even on ATS, where people are meant to be more aware and enlightened; this will probably be ignored...

While the 205th thread to discuss Obama's health care gets 100 flags and the 700th thread to discuss the negative implications of immigration gets a thousand responses and 200 flags, threads like this one will get next to nothing!!!

Sadly, even on a site such as ATS, people are more concerned with selfish needs and political nonsense than the plight of an entire species!!!

Prove me wrong ATS...

S+F

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly with yourself and Maybe, Happy Feet

How this initiative was defeated is totally beyond me
Do these countries have a desire to see bluefin become extinct ? Given the number of countries that voted against the initiative, I'd have to say they do...

In many cases tho, it seems the "smaller" players may well have been bought off by the Japanese...They are well known for doing this whenever the rest of the world tries to limit the catch of one of their favourite foods...

One only has to look at the farce that is the IWC to see Japan "paying off" other members to get their way, and its pretty clear its happened here as well....Tho I doubt Canada would have been paid for their vote...

Makes me wonder what Canada could possibly gain out of opposing the initiative ?

join