It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does ATS Draw To Itself, The Fringe Minded?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hey folks,

I wanted to start a conversation on how ATS, and places like it such as Godikeproductions or PrisonPlanet, attract what seems to be some of the most intelligent minds all over the world but also some of the most fringe minded people I have ever encountered.

I'm serious.

I love all my ATS brethren, but some of you.

If I were to meet you in real life and you spoke or acted the way you do here, things would not end well.

Now we know were a wonderful community and all that jazz but this isn't about stroking our ego's or ATS'.

What draws people? Is the anonymity of the internet?

The freedom of express without fear of retribution?

Or is the main idea of having all of this research right at your fingertips?

What causes some of our members to completely fall off they're rocker?

It seems to me, that it truly is a lashing out of some sort. People cannot express themselves among those they know, so they turn to complete strangers to validate their opinions or fears for the future.

In any case this was the message I was attempting to convey and the discussion I wanted to begin.

So please...

Begin!

~Keeper

[edit on 3/28/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Kinda a silly thread.

That's like asking why Poker Sites attract Gamblers.

It's the Nature of the Beat.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

It seems to me, that it truly is a lashing out of some sort. People cannot express themselves among those they know,

I am the same way in the real world,

maybe the rest of the world is insane?

[edit on 053131p://bSunday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

Kinda a silly thread.

That's like asking why Poker Sites attract Gamblers.

It's the Nature of the Beat.

I get it on the fundamental level, what I'm talking about is more this addiction that I see.

Some members seem like they can't get enough of coming on here and derailing a thread or spewing some non truth as truth.

Ignorance is abound these days. Are we seeing an increase within our own ranks?

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I'm most certainly insane.

You truly don't have even 1 person whom you can express yourself as you do on the internet?

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It's a soapbox. You will find this behaviour in every forum. How often does the average person attract the attention of potentially thousands (or more)?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Well, I came on here because unfortunately although I have plenty of friends and things on my plate here in the 'real' world'...
I only really found people with these rather 'out-there' theories etc. sharing online.
If there are people in my face to face relationships with similar interests they are keeping it close. =)

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I'm most certainly insane.

You truly don't have even 1 person whom you can express yourself as you do on the internet?

~Keeper

What I meant was I am the same way in the real world. as I am on the forum,

but even here, we fringers don't always agree with other fringers,

and I am more open in the real world actually,

I cannot post what I want to say all the time, I would have been banned a long time ago.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I don't think my reaction outside in the real world is any different from here.
Accept for the part that there are few people who actualy believe what I say outside.
It's so bad that even when I've said something over and over again and finaly they hear in the news the exact same thing. They sometimes at the spot can't remember I told them

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
well I first started coming here about 4-5 yrs ago
when I became interested in UFO phenomenon.

And the world lifted up her skirt
and I was hooked

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I would talk to anyone the same way as I post here.

I have no need to change my persona because of the net or any other reason. I have my beliefs and opinions just like anyone else does and I will not change them for anyone.

If you don't like me the way I am, then, that's just bad luck.

I am me and I can't and won't change for anyone or anything..

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
What you see is what you get.

We are more curious than most, and less apathetic than some.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I'm not going to claim I am the most intelligent person. But I think alot of the people with tremendous intellect (fringy) ended up here at ATS because they were looking for answers that they wasn't getting anywhere else.

That's how I ended up here, and boy did I ever find them.
Some of the smartest people that I have ever known are right here on this web-site.
They say that Einstein was so smart that he was walking on the edge of insanity.

~ Zeus

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

What's not to like about a site that offers mystery, intrigue, beautiful women, music, people that enjoy acting silly, the opportunity to expand lateral thinking, worldclass talent, hidden celebrities, the possibility to actually get a date via u2u's, financial information, drama queens,
worthy adversaries, great fiction, poetry, Documentary TV, all in the comfort of your own home, apartment, bedroom, den or kitchen with snacks and liquid refreshment within easy reach while you relax neeked as a jay bird. I haven't been outside in almost 3 years.

Entertainment, instruction and mirth all rolled up into a beautiful cyber ball.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

That about covers it all!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

[edit on 28-3-2010 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
[rant ON]

I think im way past fringe.
Can even talk in here anymore as so out im getting.

I think I understand Plato completely: there is no return to the cavern.

Some say unlifting the veil is a completely bliss... But when the spirit
comes knocking in your door he will ask for the real truth, that accepts no
compromisses to the lower self ego. Soon you will perceive yourself in a
desert where everything hurts...

Thats when people go back to avatar mode without a blink.

Took me years preparing myself to go face to face and start decoding the
watchers of the matrix... (neg transcendentals)

But hey... turn your television and 'watch' the program.
Ignorance is indeed strength.

Most thread on ATS is dis-info and distractions.
(homosexualism? give me a break!)

[rant OFF]

Im trying to find like minded people.
Soo far, mostly misses.

RP

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
fringe? what is fringe really?

it's basically anything that's either not entirely verifiable or strange that may or may not be real.

truth in itself is ninety nine percent subjective. quantum physics was fringe for the longest time, now it's practically required in physics degrees. reality itself is pretty subjective. so really i don't understand what the problem is i guess.

sure there's a lot of stuff on ats where my immediate thought is "wtf, seriously??" but does that what that poster is saying invalid, hardly. that isn't to say one can't disagree with others on any topic contained in ats.

i think john lear, when he was posting here, is crazy as hell. his threads were almost always waaaaaay out there. they were still interesting though and worth the read. who knows one day we may find out that everything he said was true, or we may find that his reality is just crazy and doesn't apply to consensus reality.

as an aside, many governments in the world have in the past , and most likely in the present partaken of research and developement of some pretty fringe stuff. and i don't think that's a bad thing at all.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Fringe? I will take that as a compliment. I come here for many reasons, but one thing I must make clear, the way I talk, and the things I talk about here, I talk the same way to anyone who will listen to me, and about the same subject matter. I kinda feel at home here, like being on the Mental Ward, with the staff drugged and tied up. I come here to learn, and to teach, to make new friends, and say hello to old ones.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I ended up here, mostly because I had half an answer to a questions I didn't know. I know that sounds cryptic, but I was going through some things and a google lead me here, and that as they say is history. I think that as time and technology move on places like this draw people that have the same answers and half formed questions, birds of a feather ya know. I am glad I found this place though, because at the time, I thought I was going a bit insane

top topics

<<   2 >>

join