It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most influential book?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Hi everyone,
Lately I've been reading quite a lot, and need some good ideas on books to read.
I was thinking each person that comes to this thread could post one... Only one book that they find to be their most influential book. Im talking about books that made you look at the world in a new light. I think if we each put one book that in our opinion was the best, anyone that checked this thread would have a wonderful list of books to choose from. If you could, please put the title, author and a short description so it helps users to find the kind of books they are interested in, instead of having to search for every summary of every book that is on this thread.
I guess I'll start..
I Just recently read "The doors of perception" and its sequel "heaven and hell" by Aldous Huxley. It is considered a classic book on the experiences of a man under the influence of mind altering substances. Huxley does a great job in describing his experience and how these substances open a new door for your consciousness.
I learned a lot from Huxley's writings, and it has helped me to try and see beauty in everything that exists in our physical world.
Thanks in advanced for your contributions.
I hope this helps anyone who is looking for some good books. I know it will help me out a lot!
Bulletproof_monk

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
1984--George Orwell

Farenheight 451-- Ray Bradbury

Communion-- Whitney Strieber

Perhaps a bit of a kid's story but The Chrysalids--John Wyndham is also a great read.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

Martian Chronicles --Ray Bradbury

What a terrific read.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

If I had to narrow it down to one....

"Ulysses" by James Joyce

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:34 AM