It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
11:17, March 28, 2010
The U.S. State Department said here Friday that no evidence had been found of Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) involvement in the sinking of a South Korean warship earlier in the day.
"Let's not jump to conclusions here," State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said when answering a question on a possible DPRK attack. "I'm not aware of any evidence to that effect. But I think the authoritative source here would be the South Korean government."
At this point, I suspect that officials in Beijing, Washington, Tokyo, and perhaps even Seoul are hoping that Cheonan sank becaue of an accidental explosion.
However South Korean military authorities have now said there is no evidence so far that North Korean forces were to blame.
Speculation is now turning to the possibility that the Cheonan, which would have been carrying torpedos, suffered an accident or had perhaps struck a sea mine that had broken free from its mooring.